My 2250 is dead...

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

vicdiaz

My 2250 is dead...

Post by vicdiaz »

Last Thursday night my 2250 went up in smoke during an interlude while listening to music. A really weird 'squaking' and 'hissing' sound came from the area were my system is. I'm still not sure if it was from the speakers or the 2250 since I was in the kitchen fixing myself a 'Corona' beer. :mrgreen:

Sooner than later I figured out that something was wrong since I could not listen to any tunes. As I got near my system rack the typical odor of 'burned electronics' was apparent. :shock:

My first thought was 'OMG, the 2250!!!". I opened it up and found this:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Took it to my dealer on Friday and I'm just waiting for the painful service quote call. :roll:
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
poppop

Post by poppop »

Vic

Just for info. - the "out of warranty" service charge in the UK is a fixed £300 for a 2250.

Hope you get it back soon.

Steve.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

poppop wrote:Vic

Just for info. - the "out of warranty" service charge in the UK is a fixed £300 for a 2250.

Hope you get it back soon.

Steve.
Thanks for the information! I will push my dealer for an ex-employee discount. ;)

BTW, Katans are OK! Phew!
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Fred,

I saw your post about the 2250 you were selling a while ago and it mentioned it had regular 4mm banana sockets. Was it difficult to install and solder them? Any pictures?

As part of my 2250 service back at Linn I'm trying to get them to switch the BFA sockets to standard 4mm banana sockets. If no luck, I may try it to do it myself.
Vic
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It's not complicated, but requires work. Took me a couple of hours to convert it.

You need to remove the main board, remove the BFA's (which is a bit tricky as it's soldered at three points that all need to be cleaned before the connector comes loose) and then add the Deltron banana sockets of the same type as those BFA's. Before you solder them (with a good station, using good solder wire), cut down the pins to almost flat against the circuit board. Otherwise you might end up with a short circuit against the enclosure.

Well worth it, I think. The rear side of the 2250 is very flexible, as it houses twin speaker outputs and both unbalanced and balanced inputs. In that aspect, the later power amps are a clear step back.

By the way, did you check that internal wiring of your 2250? Optimising the directions and the amount of twist is very worthwhile!
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Are the replacement sockets Deltron 572-0500 and 572-0100??? Regarding the internal wiring, I'll check it as soon as it comes back from Linn.
Vic
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, it's the 572 series.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Thanks Fred!

Just hung up with the dealer...

1. Blasted cap
2. Burned output stage IC
3. Burned board traces (well, vaporized!)

They will quote for local repair with original replacements. Traces need to be jumped with short wire jumpers though. I told them to include in the quote replacing the BFA sockets with 4mm sockets and told them were to get them (mouser.com)

At least it won't need to go to Linn (one or two months) and it will be a less costly repair I hope.
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Hi,

Just got a call from the dealer for the service quote and parts and on their way here!!! At least its not going to be the huge price I was expecting. :mrgreen:
Vic
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I'm curious - roughly how much will it cost?
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

vicdiaz wrote:Just got a call from the dealer for the service quote and parts and on their way here!!! At least its not going to be the huge price I was expecting. :mrgreen:
Good news! Have you been missing your top system or getting on ok?
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

springwood64 wrote:I'm curious - roughly how much will it cost?
Power IC -> $25.00 USD
Capacitor -> $1.00 USD

Both supplied by Linn.

Still missing labor and parts shipping cost from UK. Already paid $85.00 USD for service evaluation.
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Charlie1 wrote:
vicdiaz wrote:Just got a call from the dealer for the service quote and parts and on their way here!!! At least its not going to be the huge price I was expecting. :mrgreen:
Good news! Have you been missing your top system or getting on ok?
You don't have an idea how I've missed the 2250!!!! The Naim Nait-5i does not make the cut with my Katans.

On the other hand, it sounds wonderfully with the Rega Kytes in my bedroom. The Katans are just revealing the weaknesses of the Nait 5i, it just sounds like a cat scratching glass!!!
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

I just remembered that I still have an partially built GainClone amp (ChipAmp)!!! Will need to find some time to complete this project and find out how it sounds. :mrgreen:
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Well after spending more than two months without my 2250, it is finally back!!!

Total cost about $250.00 USD.

BTW, I bought the Deltron 4mm sockets to swap the darned BFA sockets in the 2250 and the dealer's technician said that they were not the same type!!! :shock:

Suspiciously as soon as I got home I opened the 2250 case and checked it for myself. As I expected, they were them same type. :evil: This morning I spent about an hour carefully desoldering the BFA sockets and soldering the 4mm sockets and now I'm happilly back in business with my 2250 and NO BFAs! :mrgreen:

I can't wait until next week to tell my dealer and the technician! :twisted:

Fred, thanks for your recommendation on swapping the BFAs with regular banana sockets! :mrgreen:
Last edited by vicdiaz on 2009-12-17 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Vic
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Nice to hear that, Vic!

Did you notice that just below one of the solder pins of the Deltron sockets, there is something in the casework of the 2250 that protrudes VERY near the circuit board. I'm not sure, but I think it was a rivet.

If you don't file that pin down on the Deltron socket, it risks shorting against the enclosure. You can check it by looking below the circuit board and direct some light so that the area becomes illuminated.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Mmmm... I don't remember seeing it but I'll check it. Thanks for the tip!
Vic
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Fred,

I finally had a chance (started holidays today!!! :mrgreen: ) to check under the 4mm sockets in the 2250 and yes, there are rivets almost touching the solder leads. As you recommended I just cut them short and everything is sounding beautifully.

Thanks for tip and Merry Christmas!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Vic