New Linn Launch 2022

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New Linn Launch 2022

Post by Matteo »

For the new Koil cartridge, Linn recommends a capacitance of 100 nF; the internal MC board of the ADSM/3 has a fixed capacitance of 180 nF
champton90

Post by champton90 »

So Linn now has two MC cartridges that have an output of 0.45mV which exceeds (slightly) the maximum recommended 0.4mV input of Entity. I have an Entity 1.1 which I love, so does that pose a problem if I decided to upgrade my Krystal to a Kendo down the road?
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Does the new Arko tonearm come with the grey T-Kable?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

champton90 wrote: 2022-06-17 15:36 So Linn now has two MC cartridges that have an output of 0.45mV which exceeds (slightly) the maximum recommended 0.4mV input of Entity. I have an Entity 1.1 which I love, so does that pose a problem if I decided to upgrade my Krystal to a Kendo down the road?
SINGularity and Entity will likely be difficult to overload with a nominal level of 0.45 mV.

With 0.4 mV of input, there’s still a small margin left when the loudest recording of high treble that I managed to find was tested. I think 0.45 mV will pass below just barely. This is with an extreme record. In practice, I believe very few records with music will be near that level.

So I think you’ll be fine.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-06-17 16:16
champton90 wrote: 2022-06-17 15:36 So Linn now has two MC cartridges that have an output of 0.45mV which exceeds (slightly) the maximum recommended 0.4mV input of Entity. I have an Entity 1.1 which I love, so does that pose a problem if I decided to upgrade my Krystal to a Kendo down the road?
SINGularity and Entity will likely be difficult to overload with a nominal level of 0.45 mV.

With 0.4 mV of input, there’s still a small margin left when the loudest recording of high treble that I managed to find was tested. I think 0.45 mV will pass below just barely. This is with an extreme record. In practice, I believe very few records with music will be near that level.

So I think you’ll be fine.
I have the Ekstatik with SINGularity and I have customers using Ekstatik with Entity, nobody is having any problems with levels. To be honest I'm not so sure about those "nominal" specs anyway. When I installed my Ekstatik the first thing I noticed was that it sounded a little quieter than the Kandid it replaced and I was turning it up a little. A couple of customers have reported the same finding so I'm not sure the Ekstatik actually has higher output than the Kandid. When the SINGularity first came out I did confirm for Fredrik that the Kandid wouldn't overload it by using the highest levels cut on a few test records without any clipping of the SINGularity. So I don't think there is anything to worry about.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Matteo wrote: 2022-06-17 15:09 For the new Koil cartridge, Linn recommends a capacitance of 100 nF; the internal MC board of the ADSM/3 has a fixed capacitance of 180 nF
Actually it has a fixed capacitance of 10nF, as do the Lejonklou phono stages, which should be a good loading. The 180 spec on the ADSM is the load impedance which is ideal for the Krystal and likely should be OK for the Koil, although it may not be the absolute optimum.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Is the output level of Ekstatik and Kendo measured at 5 cm/s or 3.54 cm/s?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-06-17 20:23 Is the output level of Ekstatik and Kendo measured at 5 cm/s or 3.54 cm/s?
The specs are given for 3,54 cm/s, so the values will we higher at 5 cm/s.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks! When Thomas said he found Ekstatik sounding less loud than Kandid, although the numbers indicate the opposite, I thought they might have changed to specify at 5 cm/s. That would explain the experience.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Clip below with new Koil and new K20. The K20 is musically stiff compared to before as I tried that first but hopefully it will loosen up soon. Koil is already much better than the Goldring Troika rebuild. I also suspect the Wakonda MC stage needs to run in as the original buyer sold it as an MM-only pre-amp. Hopefully it will all improve over the next few weeks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e4i6mxp7xuv1 ... 0.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cybwk297i9ruk ... 4.mp4?dl=0

I feel that my Kans need an MC otherwise they make a meal of any distortion and sound a bit ragged. Whereas, the Briks are fine even with Valhalla/Ittok/VM95E.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-07-24 22:59 Clip below with new Koil and new K20. The K20 is musically stiff compared to before as I tried that first but hopefully it will loosen up soon. Koil is already much better than the Goldring Troika rebuild. I also suspect the Wakonda MC stage needs to run in as the original buyer sold it as an MM-only pre-amp. Hopefully it will all improve over the next few weeks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e4i6mxp7xuv1 ... 0.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cybwk297i9ruk ... 4.mp4?dl=0

I feel that my Kans need an MC otherwise they make a meal of any distortion and sound a bit ragged. Whereas, the Briks are fine even with Valhalla/Ittok/VM95E.
Very enjoyable clips

Thanks Charlie1

M
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Cheers Matteo!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Lagging a bit sonically but there's certainly a sense of musicality - the drum(s) in particular sounds a bit stiff and one-note for now; hopefully will catch up with the rest of the band soon. Can enjoy the music, and hear the potential in these clips - keep 'em coming :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting clips, reliably Charlie1 classic rock. Desperado sounds a little muffled to me and I hear what tokenbrit means about the drums. I liked Year of the Cat better (used to use that for demo all the time) but it did sound like the piano was trying to keep up with itself in the intro. Definitely showing some potential and I look forwarding to hearing how this all settles in.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Useful feedback - tx gents!

I figured if I was running in the cartridge then I might as well run in the cable but will return to the normal one for future clips.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I hear what Thomas means about Desperado sounding a little muffled - wondered if that was the recording rather than the system... :?

Interested in more clips with the previous K20 (what was wrong with it?) You know what they say about changing just 1 thing at a time... yes I know you need to change phono with the switch to Moving Koil ;)
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2022-07-27 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I had another pair of 5m runs doing nothing so got them fitted with Naim right angle speaker connectors. This enables me to use older Kans with sticky out terminals. I do have a pair already but they are not making the cut - was easy to compare them to my regular pair.

But yeah, will go back to the regular K20 for next clips.

However, I've got a pair of Class A serviced Kairns coming tomorrow (first and last PSU versions), so not sure the Wakonda will still be there by then. Doh!

I think you're both right about the Eagles track. It is a warm and slightly shut in recording but the system is also like that, so a bit of both. Most of the system dates back about 30 years and things have become a lot more open / clearer over the decades.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-07-27 00:44 .. I've got a pair of Class A serviced Kairns coming tomorrow (first and last PSU versions), so not sure the Wakonda will still be there by then...
I've compared Wakonda with Kairn, probably with Karik rather than LP12... yeah, I doubt the Wakonda will still be there by then ;)
Both Kairns each with phono stage? Curious whether Linn expected many to use Koil in combo with Kairn :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-07-27 01:26 Both Kairns each with phono stage? Curious whether Linn expected many to use Koil in combo with Kairn :)
Yep, neither is the Pro. I was planning to borrow an Entity from my dealer and home dem that once the Koil was run in. But like you say, defo not voiced for LK amps :)

I think yourself and Tom are also right in that some of the warmth from the Koil. When I initially swapped over the decks I didn't think the Koil deck was any warmer sounding but listening back to Adikt clips, there is a coarseness (with Kans) that helps counteract it. Whereas the Koil is very smooth in comparison and there's nowhere for the warm balance to hide. The Troika was the best balance but didn't quite work out musically for me, so having to use modern cartridges with vintage gear is challenge.

I've been happy to accept a warm balance (to some extent), if that's the price for enjoying Kans and an older LP12, but we'll see how it goes. I know the accepted view here is to just use the most musical gear and the balance will sort itself out, but with vintage (less neutral) equipment I find there is a balancing act involved. I could have just carried on with the Adikt deck and left things alone but you know me (by now)! :D
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Put back the normal K20 as it was bothering me.

Bass the same or any better?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/va1w7vorx7kbd ... 8.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y36z4a06zly3y ... 1.mp4?dl=0

Kairns arriving tomorrow now so still Wakonda.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-07-27 14:50 Put back the normal K20 as it was bothering me.

Bass the same or any better?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/va1w7vorx7kbd ... 8.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y36z4a06zly3y ... 1.mp4?dl=0

Kairns arriving tomorrow now so still Wakonda.
Bass in Desperado is certainly better tonally - sounds like a drum now rather than a plastic tub...
I didn't compare to the previous clip, but maybe a little better musically too, just muffled, unlike the other clip, so must be the vinyl.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I also didn't compare to the previous clips but I do find both clips better than my memory of the older ones. The piano on Year of the Cat is much better timed. The drums on Desperado are as well and it sounds a little less muffled but still muffled. Definitely a step in the right direction.
The LP12 Whisperer
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

After listening to both sets of clips, the K20 cable does seem to have better bass on the Eagles song and perhaps a little better sounding overall. Also, the Al Stewart song is a little more natural and realistic sounding with the K20 cable (better vocals and piano).
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the feedback gents!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I am curious, did someone compare the current K200 to K20?
Thanks
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677