Reliable (digital) scale for VTF adjustment

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Catweazle

Reliable (digital) scale for VTF adjustment

Post by Catweazle »

Hi all,
today I tried to improve VTF with my newly acquired Ekos SE/1, using a cheap digital scale, that boasts accuracy of 0,01 g. What I noticed, however, is that the displayed results are hardly reproducible. They jump around by up to +/- 0,03 g when the arm is repositioned on the scale. Calibration with a 5 g weight is dead accurate, and maybe the claimedaccuracy holds at 5 g. But I"m more interested in measurements around 1,75 g. A scale that works more reproducible in that area is needed. Elsewise, adjusting the counterweight is just a gamble. I still own an old analog electronic scale by Panasonic, but that's stored outside as I'm still waiting for my cellar to be refurbished.
So let's share our wisdom. Which scale works best for you?
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Reliable (digital) scale for VTF adjustment

Post by Defender »

I have seen the same on my one but what you are asking for is measuring 1/100 of a Gramm.
At this level a lot of things can come into play. Maybe your scale is accurate but the spring is not.
Also small magnetic influences will come into play as well as your antiscating setting.

mmh just saw you said +- 0.03 g which is a delta of 0.06g that seems too much mine has a delta of 0.03g sometimes 0.01g lower or 0.01 or 0.02g higher than measured before
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

You certainly have a point here, Defender. The spring has its inaccuracies as well. I believe to remember that my old Panasonic scale had a 1.5 g calibration weight, which is certainly more suitable for the use case. The ultimate test to sort out spring vs scale would be, to measure this weight several times, and check if it reads the same or not. Unfortunately, it's well hidden in one of my 30+ boxes in a self storage space right now. But a small screw from my computer grab-box might do the trick as a proxy. 🤔
Last edited by Catweazle on 2022-03-20 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

My cheap scale sometimes reads 0.00 grams at rest then after measuring it resettles to .03. I have found that turning it off and on it resettles to 0.00 and then measures fine. So if it reads .03 after I lift the stylus off it I just reset it and try again.

If you want a really accurate gauge the Rega Atlas is the one, but it is quite pricey at $276US. It appears to be quite accurate and repeatable and is a very solid and well built device. I have one and enjoy using it but I most often use my cheap one at work as the Rega is rather big and doesn't fit in my turntable setup toolkit.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Thanks Thomas, sound advice as usual. Obviously, I have to be more patient with my cheap scale ;-)
I tried to replicate the measurement with a screw and if I wait long enough, the value finally tunes into +/- 0,01 gr. I don't think this is up to the tides, it's rather the scale, haha.
I'm not saying, that I could adjust the counter weight of an Ekos (pick your choice) to +/- 0,01 gr without a million iterations 😁
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Maybe it would be good to invest in the Pro-Ject measure IT S2? It costs € 99,- but measures 3 decimals and has an accuracy of +- 0,002 g
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Interestingly, the specs of the much cheaper Pro-Ject Measure it E looks quite similar.
Any experiences with either of them?