Câble length, does it really matters?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

SlyD77

Câble length, does it really matters?

Post by SlyD77 »

I’m questioning myself, does having exact same lengths for câbles really matters? Do we here sonic différence in sound or in phase if we use different length for the speakers cables?

I’m asking because I have make a mistake in the length of my speakers cable: my Akudorik Activ have 3 cables in 3m length and one in 2,5 m. I have actually connect the Super Tweeter with the shorter one and I want to know if I need to cut the other cable to have all at 2,5m or if I let all like it is…
Sylvain DIDIER

Akurate System HUB / Exaktbox-i / Akudorik
The corporate video agency
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Câble length, does it really matters?

Post by lejonklou »

Hello Sylvain!

The answer is a definite Yes.

There is a thread about this here in the HiFi Forum section. It's pinned to stay near the top, always.
SlyD77

Post by SlyD77 »

Thanks Frederick, I will take a look. Do we know why it matters? (Maybe the answer is on the tread)
Sylvain DIDIER

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The reason why is that the cable acts like a passive filter in between the power amplifier and the loudspeaker. The longer the cable is, the more filtering you get.

The reason why there's a minimum length is, however, partly a mystery to me. I've tried designing a power amp that is perfectly adapted and tuned to a direct connection with a loudspeaker drive unit. But then: I still get a musical improvement if I add some cable in between them. Substituting the cable with other components (small amounts of resistance, inductance and capacitance) does not yield the same results.
SlyD77

Post by SlyD77 »

Thanks for the reply. I hope one day, someone will figure it out because having people like the guys at AudioScienceReview always saying that is no difference because they can't mesure it is boring...
Sylvain DIDIER