Radikal/2 experiences

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Radikal/2 experiences

Post by Hermann »

I'm opening this thread for the Radial/2 because some of the behaviour has changed compared to the old one. The LED as an indicator for stable running sometimes takes much longer. And the behaviour is sporadic. My dealer pointed it out, but it seems strange to me.

Sometimes the LED dims immediately after picking up or putting down the record, or it takes what feels like 30 seconds until it dims. The record also doesn't stick to the felt or the other way round. I once put on the pick-up system when the light was on and heard a very short high-pitched yelp, but immediately it was stable.

What are your experiences with the Radikal/2?
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Radikal/2 experiences

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-02-02 15:47 I'm opening this thread for the Radial/2 because some of the behaviour has changed compared to the old one. The LED as an indicator for stable running sometimes takes much longer. And the behaviour is sporadic. My dealer pointed it out, but it seems strange to me.

Sometimes the LED dims immediately after picking up or putting down the record, or it takes what feels like 30 seconds until it dims. The record also doesn't stick to the felt or the other way round. I once put on the pick-up system when the light was on and heard a very short high-pitched yelp, but immediately it was stable.

What are your experiences with the Radikal/2?
Good morning Hermann,

The light does change, it goes from bright to dim after the platter settles on the proper speed. And it can change again, when an album is either put on, or lifted off. However, there's never been any high-pitched yelp with my unit. Thomas told me about the light changing brightness, when he installed the new motor and censor. Perhaps he can provide additional information.
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Tony, thank you.

I am also surprised that it makes no difference in terms of dimming time whether a 200gr record or a 120gr record is used.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-02-02 16:15 Hi Tony, thank you.

I am also surprised that it makes no difference in terms of dimming time whether a 200gr record or a 120gr record is used.
I think it takes a little more time to achieve proper platter rotation now. The new motor and censor are way more accurate and precise, than the previous parts.
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

That's correct. But I also think the regulation of the motor is linear, which means more weight, longer stabilisation time. With the last 4 records the LED did not even twitch, it remained dimmed.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-02-02 16:26 That's correct. But I also think the regulation of the motor is linear, which means more weight, longer stabilisation time. With the last 4 records the LED did not even twitch, it remained dimmed.
That's a good point Hermann, and I'm sure Thomas will be able to provide more details as well. I have grown accustomed to the light operation by now, and it's not an issue for me.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have noticed that the Radikal 2 does take longer to lock in and dim the light than the original Radikal. It does also seem to vary to me and I really haven't used it long enough to notice any specific conditions that cause it. Last weekend I turned it on and it took longer than usual to lock. It was a very cold day so it might have been the table being a little cold and having to warm up a touch. Removing the record and flipping it over caused a slight bright/dim but pretty brief. Other times it doesn't brighten when changing a record. The tightness of the record hole on the spindle of the platter might have some effect on this.

One thing I have noticed on Radikal 1s that I have upgraded to Radikal 2 is that the dim light is quite a bit dimmer than it was on the Radikal 1. My Radikal 2 is a brand new one and it doesn't seem to me to be quite as dim but my turntable is in a dim part of the room so I'm not sure about that. I didn't realize until someone mentioned it on the Wam/Linn forum that the new Radikal comes with a different power switch that has a softer touch. It makes me wonder whether the new switch also has a different sensitivity to the dim level of the LED so that it isn't quite as dim as on the old switch. I'll just have to keep an eye on the next few I install and see if this seems to be the case. Other than being a bit on the dark side in the dim mode the old switch works just fine and is not swapped out when the Radikal upgrade is installed.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you very much for your comments Tom. It seems you observe the same or similar behavior with the R/2. I even pushed it a little further and touched the rotating platter lightly with my finger and the LED remained dark. And I don't understand that at all. Is certainly not according to the requirements, but interesting to see.

The reference to room temperature could be an aspect that sometimes it takes more time to rotate stably when cold. But does not coincide with my observations.
Trust your ears