We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Adikt 3

Post by Lego »

lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-20 16:20
Lego wrote: 2022-01-17 21:00 I'm sure millions believe you Lindsayt , although your comparisons could be with a badly set-up LP12 which can sound like your description.Can I have a witness?
For witnesses, there's no better witness than yourself. It's entirely up to you if you go ahead and do your own listening tests of a 2022 Majik LP12, or any other spec of LP12 against a 1970's to 1980's statement Japanese or German direct drive.
When you do your listening tests it's also entirely up to you what, if anything, you do to confirm that the LP12 has been set up as well as it can be.

And surely it's not a case of what others believe? Surely what's far more important to you is what you believe. Just as what's important to me is what I believe. And what each of believes should be based on what we have each personally experienced...
Then why do you come out with such unbelievable statements without any evidence?
I know that tune
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-20 16:20 For witnesses, there's no better witness than yourself. It's entirely up to you if you go ahead and do your own listening tests of a 2022 Majik LP12, or any other spec of LP12 against a 1970's to 1980's statement Japanese or German direct drive.
When you do your listening tests it's also entirely up to you what, if anything, you do to confirm that the LP12 has been set up as well as it can be.
The beauty of the Tune Method is its consistency. If something is determined to be more musical using the tune method, it will always be more musical. It doesn't matter if the setup, room, or indeed the listeners change, as long as the Tune Method is correctly applied the result will always be the same. This consistency makes it easy to establish some clear, concrete conclusions. Among those: the LP12, in all its incarnations, is the most musical turntable available (especially compared to direct drives). The Adikt is on the short list of the most musical cartridges, and the Ninka's musical performance represented incredible value-for-money at the time.

Practicing the Tune Method requires an open mind and a willingness to let the tune dictate the results, regardless of the potential for those results to fly in the face of established norms. Any reasonable practitioner of the Tune Method understands that the terms "clear" and "concrete" I used above do not mean "absolute". They are always ready, willing, and indeed eager to have their mind changed. So when you, lindsayt, come along and claim that those established norms arrived upon over years of Tune based evaluations are wrong, that's great! However, it is YOUR responsibility to back up your statements with evidence that can be independently evaluated. The burden of proof is on you. Let's harken back to our school days. If you handed in a paper that presented your argument and followed that with, "figure it out for yourself" you wouldn't expect to get a very good grade, would you? The same is true here (or indeed everywhere). If you wan't to make bold claims, by all means please do! Just be ready to back them up with evidence that can be independently tested and evaluated.

lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-20 16:26 Do you think that a mobile phone is adequate recording equipment with which to compare two $5000 vinyl sources?
Would you base your $5000 hi-fi buying decisions on hearing recordings made with a mobile phone?
If the recordings made on that mobile phone are capable of distinguishing the relative differences in the tune, then yes. Indeed, most mobile phones are capable of doing just that. In fact, by removing the hi-fi aspect the musical differences can be easier to distinguish. Fredrik has even successfully conducted tune evaluations over the phone! Have you spent any time on the Playground for Practical Listening Exercises thread? Those phone recordings are capable of resolving musical differences that are the result of incredibly minute changes, such as adjusting the torque on a few fasteners by a few hundredths of a Newton-meter, or adding a piece of felt to a power cord. Remember, we're making A-B comparisons here and we are focusing on the relative musical differences. We are not interested in the absolute musical performance when conducting these comparisons. That is why mobile phone recordings work so well, and is an excellent place for you to start presenting evidence supporting your statements.

lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-20 16:20 And surely it's not a case of what others believe? Surely what's far more important to you is what you believe. Just as what's important to me is what I believe. And what each of believes should be based on what we have each personally experienced...
The only question of belief that is relevant in this forum is whether or not you believe the Tune Method is the proper way to evaluate the performance of a music system. If the Tune Method is correctly applied during an evaluation then the lister's personal experience is irrelevant. "If it sounds better, it is better" (credit to Linn).

Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-20 16:20
Lego wrote: 2022-01-17 21:00 I'm sure millions believe you Lindsayt , although your comparisons could be with a badly set-up LP12 which can sound like your description.Can I have a witness?
For witnesses, there's no better witness than yourself. It's entirely up to you if you go ahead and do your own listening tests of a 2022 Majik LP12, or any other spec of LP12 against a 1970's to 1980's statement Japanese or German direct drive.

And surely it's not a case of what others believe? Surely what's far more important to you is what you believe. Just as what's important to me is what I believe. And what each of believes should be based on what we have each personally experienced...
Interesting thread. But is going beyond the Adikt/alternative question. So Mr. Moderator better to adress it to another forum place. It is in the ear of the each beholder which turntable is the best. If you into Linn LP 12 Majik, or a little upgrade, than that’s the best for you. If you’re into let say Garrard 401, refurbished or upgraded, than that’s the best for you. Comparison disputes like this tend to turn out snobbish and insane if it’s gonna be a vanity battle of absolutized believers in my opinion. Long live your own ears and your own experience and the tune method in that frame but leave the needless dispute. Maybe only except of gathering in the same room enjoying each others different setup and turntables, tuning in love with the music and respect for each other.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-20 16:26
David Neel wrote: 2022-01-17 21:57
lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-17 20:41 No clips from me. I don't have adequate recording equipment.
No adequate recording equipment? People on here use mobile phones...
lindsayt wrote: 2022-01-17 20:41 It's just that there are better alternatives on the used market - based on my listening tests.
Deja vu, all over again.
Do you think that a mobile phone is adequate recording equipment with which to compare two $5000 vinyl sources?
Would you base your $5000 hi-fi buying decisions on hearing recordings made with a mobile phone?
There was a time when Pink Fish forum allowed needledrops to be shared on their forum. It was great fun and the ones I created were done using an iMac plugged into the tape output of my preamp. They sounded very good and were very helpful when used to access various changes to my setup. It was more effort to make the recordings than just using an iPhone mic, but also sounded better. Both methods are valid for evaluating which setup is more tuneful depending on what you’re comparing.