JBL 310S Musings

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

markiteight

JBL 310S Musings

Post by markiteight »

I have an opportunity to pick up a 310S locally for a reasonable price. The possibility of adding the sub to my system sends me, once again, down the cable rabbit hole. I would need a pair of cables terminated with XLRs at both ends to connect the sub's high pass output to the 308s. Linn only sell factory terminated balanced Blacks in 1.2m lengths, which isn't long enough. Those whose soldering skills I trust don't have sufficient stock of bulk balanced Black cable, as in this brave new world of Exakt there simply isn't any demand for it any more. Which brings me to my question:

Can the outputs of the 310S be connected to the input of the 308s using unbalanced cable, much as we do when connecting the preamp directly to the 308s? If so, does anyone know which pin is which?

Another option is to have a set of balanced Silvers made up. The difference in cost is surprisingly reasonable but I don't think installing a pair of Silvers down stream from a pair of Blacks is the best idea. Besides, I have trust issues with Silvers.

TIA for any insight you can provide.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: JBL 310S Musings

Post by Defender »

as I see there was no one answering you so far.

I am sure you can connect them the same way (unbalanced) as you do with your JBLs 308.
As what needs to get what:
1 is ground
2 is signal
3 is inverted signal which to my knowledge in this case would be connected to ground

I have the feeling they are not full symmetrical design anyway.