Recommendation for 6m RCA Cable

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

mbabst

Recommendation for 6m RCA Cable

Post by mbabst »

Hi

In my new house I need to run a 6m RCA Cable between my Slipsik 7 and the Akurate DSM. Speaker cables are 2.48m Duelund 12AWG and interconnects between Akurate DSM and Tundra are 1m Duelund 16AWG.

Any recommendations for a 6m RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR between Slipsik and Akurate DSM?
Linn Selekt DSM - LP12/Kore/A Radikal/Akito 1/Adikt/Slipsik 7 - Harbeth C7 ES3XD
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommendation for 6m RCA Cable

Post by V.A.MKD »

Linn Silver (or Black as more affordable) Interconnect, "custom length".
Music First ...
Vlado
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Recommendation on the forum is to use Linn Phono interconnects - again silver is better than black and more expensive ( although the increase in cost is much less than going from 6m Black cable to 6m silver )

Best to get them made professionally using Lejonklou soldering technique.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
mbabst

Post by mbabst »

I think I will solder it myself using silver WBT solder and a MOGAMI NEGLEX W3106 which is the Stereo version of the W2549. Seems like Linn use exactly these cables.
Linn Selekt DSM - LP12/Kore/A Radikal/Akito 1/Adikt/Slipsik 7 - Harbeth C7 ES3XD
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Question: What cable do you recommend
Answer: Linn Silvers, soldered with good solder chosen for its musical qualities

Great. I’ll get some Mogami and solder them with audiophile silver solder!

One couldn’t make it up! 🤣
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Spannko wrote: 2022-01-05 13:39 Question: What cable do you recommend
Answer: Linn Silvers, soldered with good solder chosen for its musical qualities

Maybe the Mogamis will be more musical. You never know.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have tested perhaps five-six different models of Mogami cable, don't recall all their numbers. None of them were even close to the Linn Black analogue interconnect.

Deciding on a cable without having listened to it is crazy. Some are so unmusical that you think something in the system has broken. And this is true of both digital and analogue cables. Every time I hear it I am dumbfounded by their potential for negative impact.

And I need to say this, again and again: In the world of cables, there is zero correlation between price and musical performance. Zero. You think "I better spend a little more and not buy the cheapest one, then I'll likely get a better one". No, there's no such correlation.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Indeed.

Note that Linn use a Mogami wire in their current T.Kable which most of us who have tried it find musically inferior to the old T.Kable. That cable used a version of Linn Silver interconnect cable but with a softer dielectric and the ground wire. Since the old T.Kable (with the newer Linn DIN connector) is still made and sold as the Akito cable I keep it in stock and sell it as an upgrade to anyone with the Mogami T.Kable. I also use it on my Ekos SE/1 and my Ekos 2 on my second LP12. The Mogami T.Kable remains in the Ekos SE box.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

(not always possible, but...) Would/wouldn't standard length interconnects & longer speaker cables play better than long interconnects?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-01-05 17:47 (not always possible, but...) Would/wouldn't standard length interconnects & longer speaker cables play better than long interconnects?
Not necessarily. Linn used to recommend long interconnects and short speaker cables although I never tested that premise thoroughly. But considering the 2.48 meter recommended length for our favorite speaker cable I would think it might be possible using that length and longer interconnects could be preferable.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-01-05 17:55
tokenbrit wrote: 2022-01-05 17:47 (not always possible, but...) Would/wouldn't standard length interconnects & longer speaker cables play better than long interconnects?
Not necessarily. Linn used to recommend long interconnects and short speaker cables although I never tested that premise thoroughly. But considering the 2.48 meter recommended length for our favorite speaker cable I would think it might be possible using that length and longer interconnects could be preferable.
What about a hierarchy of interconnect lengths: longer from source to pre- or between pre- & power-amp(s)...
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

A few years ago I had standard linn silver interconnects and 9 metre K400 from Tundra monos to 242s.

Wanting to move the tundras closer to the speakers using recommended 2.48m K400s, I tried 9 metre linn black interconnects (silver phono interconnects) from the sagatun monos to the Tundras- no contest.

Much more musical . Big improvement - almost certainly due to the shorter and optimal length of speaker cables .

I then ordered 9 metre silver interconnects (silver connectors) -even better than blacks but not nearly as big an improvement as above.

I did try the longer interconnects vs standard ones from sagatun to tundra as an experiment and standard is better - but small difference compared to above.

Ps All cables and interconnects were made professionally using Lejonklou solder/method.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

u252agz wrote: 2022-01-05 23:30 A few years ago I had standard linn silver interconnects and 9 metre K400 from Tundra monos to 242s.

Wanting to move the tundras closer to the speakers using recommended 2.48m K400s, I tried 9 metre linn black interconnects (silver phono interconnects) from the sagatun monos to the Tundras- no contest.

Much more musical . Big improvement - almost certainly due to the shorter and optimal length of speaker cables .

I then ordered 9 metre silver interconnects (silver connectors) -even better than blacks but not nearly as big an improvement as above.

I did try the longer interconnects vs standard ones from sagatun to tundra as an experiment and standard is better - but small difference compared to above.

Ps All cables and interconnects were made professionally using Lejonklou solder/method.
Thank you! Really useful information, as I may need to do something similar in the future.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-01-05 19:52 What about a hierarchy of interconnect lengths: longer from source to pre- or between pre- & power-amp(s)...
Yes, from source to pre is more important than from pre to power amp.

It's a little funny with cables, they don't always seem to follow the Hierarchy? If they did, nothing downstream could make up for a minor loss in between for instance pre and power amp. Yet I do feel that a longer interconnect and 2.48 m of split K400 is preferable to having short interconnects and long loudspeaker cables. Therefore I have my power amps in a cabinet in between the speakers and the rest of the system further away, just like u252agz.
mbabst

Post by mbabst »

The Mogami 2549, which I‘m considered to use, is reportedly used by Linn for their T-cable. For 31 Euros it is well worth a try. However the black interconnects back in 2019 were not Mogami, so isn't the Majik tonarm cable. No idea what they use now because they changed again in 2019/2020. However the consensus seems to bee, that the Mogami used by Linn is less musical. By the way I still have the old grey T-Kable between LP12 and Slipsik, whose internals are the same as the Linn silver interconnects but with a softer jacket.

Thank you all guys, I've just ordered 2*6m of unterminated Linn black interconnect cable.

As for hierarchy, I too have 2.48m speaker cables. Thats why I need a long interconnect between Slipsik and Preamp. Can‘t have my LP12 between the speakers.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Good decision MBast

Your next decision will be which interconnects to put on and which soldering technique to use.

I'm sure I remember this as being pretty important to the quality of the final product- at least as, if not more important than the cable itself.

I have absolutely zero skills in soldering and had no option but to send off all my interconnect cables for optimal termination.

Expensive and time consuming perhaps but a one off cost, and compared to the cost of Hi Fi units and music a relative bargain.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

mbabst wrote: 2022-01-06 07:35 ...
Thank you all guys, I've just ordered 2*6m of unterminated Linn black interconnect cable.

As for hierarchy, I too have 2.48m speaker cables. Thats why I need a long interconnect between Slipsik and Preamp. Can‘t have my LP12 between the speakers.
Would it be possible to position the DSM with the LP12 & Slipsik? That way you could use standard length interconnects between Slipsik and Preamp, and use the 6m interconnects between DSM and Tundra. If it's possible, it would be worth trying based on 'u252agz' & Fredrik's setups. Happy listening.
Topkho

Post by Topkho »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-01-05 17:44

Indeed.

Note that Linn use a Mogami wire in their current T.Kable which most of us who have tried it find musically inferior to the old T.Kable. That cable used a version of Linn Silver interconnect cable but with a softer dielectric and the ground wire. Since the old T.Kable (with the newer Linn DIN connector) is still made and sold as the Akito cable I keep it in stock and sell it as an upgrade to anyone with the Mogami T.Kable. I also use it on my Ekos SE/1 and my Ekos 2 on my second LP12. The Mogami T.Kable remains in the Ekos SE box.
What is exactly the black Linn RCA interconnect? I actually thought the “gold standard” was the silver analogue interconnect II RCA?
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Topkho wrote: 2022-02-28 00:44 What is exactly the black Linn RCA interconnect? I actually thought the “gold standard” was the silver analogue interconnect II RCA?
https://www.linn.co.uk/us/speakers/acce ... erconnects
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

Has there been a change in the spec of Linn Black interconnect over its lifetime. The spec on the cable now mentions a foil screen ?hich my Blacks which I got many years ago off the reel does not have this screen, just the centre signal and copper screen return.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

RobDodds wrote: 2022-04-16 15:27 Has there been a change in the spec of Linn Black interconnect over its lifetime. The spec on the cable now mentions a foil screen ?hich my Blacks which I got many years ago off the reel does not have this screen, just the centre signal and copper screen return.
The current Linn Black is marked Black Interconnect II so there has definitely been a change. I'll have to take a look at it to see if I can find a visual difference but the originals didn't have a foil screen. If the mk II does that would certainly be new. I have not compared mk II with the original version.
The LP12 Whisperer
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

Thanks Thomas. Well I hope it's not better as I have very long interconnects between Kairn and Akurate 4200. Although it doesn't make current cables sound worse but it will be in the back of my mind. I'll just have to think that they changed it due to supply issues not for sound quality.