Good cinema receivers and dvd's

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

ThomasOK wrote: Indianapolis itself didn't agree with me or my family. I ended up leaving Indy and ASL in 1984.
Sorry to hear that... :(
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
ahaa

Blue Ray players

Post by ahaa »

Any recommendations for good Blue Ray players? Panasonic DMP-BD80 seems to be a candidate according to tests, but has anybody listened to it? Does it have sufficient tune?
doze84

Post by doze84 »

Carlssonplanet.com is recommending LG BD-370, has only stereo out on the analogue aux out, but the stereo analog-out is good.

Carlssonplanet.com does not use tune dem, i can not guarante musicality in their recomendations, but it cannot be totally useless since they go hard after transparency. The dvd I use right now Denon 1720, did I buy from their recommendations, and it has proven to be quite musical, quite good in tune dem. And this blueray is aspiring of being their new cd reference, so I'm pretty sure it must be at least marantz muscial.

Please buy and give us other a report, buy from a place where you can send it back if you don't like it!

The price is only 250$ from the cheapest place in sweden.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

doze84 wrote:but it cannot be totally useless since they go hard after transparency.
YES IT CAN, and likely is!
Please only discuss products you have heard and evaluated using tune dem.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree. No transparency here, please.

I have listened to enough supposedly transparent components (which turned out to be dreadful) to understand that this label, at best, means nothing.

I also agree with ML that recommendations/discussions need to be based on something more solid. Preferably what you, or someone you know and trust, have personally evaluated.

Your intention is clearly helpful, but I hope you get my point.
doze84

Post by doze84 »

Music Lover wrote:
doze84 wrote:but it cannot be totally useless since they go hard after transparency.
YES IT CAN, and likely is!
Please only discuss products you have heard and evaluated using tune dem.
Yes it can, but might not be in this case.

I've seen at least 4 of the later years top recommendations from carlssonplanet/lts be tested, less or more professional, with tune dem. And they all seem to be from ok to good!. I've also taken my Denon DVD-1720(budget reference from Carlssonplanet 2007) to a linndealer, and they were impressed by it's tune dem. So I think I have reason enough to at least guess it's likely not going to be useless in tune dem. -But like I said, we have no guarantee for it. So please don't call me to deal with transparency when I'm clearly stating "transparency people gives us no guarantee for musicality in their recommended products."
It's just that i have seen a good trend from 2007 and forth from carlssonplanet. Could probably be pure luck in the specific products i've seen testet,but maybe , something in these specific peoples test methods that prevents from a too muddled, messy, confused sound.
Lejonklou wrote:I agree. No transparency here, please.
huh?`??, nobody is a transparantist here. We are dealing with tune dem.

But hopefully I hope we all are transparantists in the good sense of the word, that we want products to become more and more true to the original recording(ofcourse not compromising with musicality). I think we all agree that even if we want perfect musicality, we don't want too much sameness and a very coloured sound.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

doze84 wrote:...even if we want perfect musicality, we don't want too much sameness and a very coloured sound.
I think that's a contradiction in terms.