radikal

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Regarding the older version and newer version of the outter platter (OPLAT04 and 05), what year did Linn switch to the newer outter platter? And is it an issue to worry about?
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If you look at the previous page you will see a few posts I did on this subject. I found a musical improvement but it was fairly small. There is more detail on my listening tests in one of the previous posts.

It appears that Linn changed from /04 to /05 somewhere between August 2008 and February 2009.
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

0.05 mm

Post by k_numigl »

Thanks to Fredrik's hint I got a feeler gauge 0.05 mm yesterday in order
to center the outer platter of the LP12 correctly. Before doing so with
the help of the gauge, I tried to center it without the tool, and I must
admit, that I always ended up with a fairly uneven gap distribution,
easily shown by testing with the gauge. For convenience I got two of
them (they are not so terribly expensive), applied them at two spots
and drew the outer platter against them. A nicely even gap resulted.
And, a nicely improved sound as well. The effect is easy to hear
through my LK-style Majik Integrated, so I expect it to become even more
prominent with higher level equipment.

Thus, many thanks to Fredrik! And everybody should rush to get such
a simple tool which can be applied by everybody 'who's not got two
left hands', as people say here.

Regards, Klaus

P.S.: Similar to the demagnetiser, I offer to send some recordings of the
test for those with a DS or similar, you just need to be able to
play 192 kHz/24 bit.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

As this thread also seems to encompass the Urika, thought I'd post first experience of the Urika today at Cymbiosis. Started with a tune dem using KK1(D)/KCT/242s. Both decks were full spec and we used the same Radikal unit for each.

Slightly surprised how much better the Urika was musically in that it made the Linto sound more sluggish and hard to follow than I expected. Otherwise, very similar to Tom's posting here - it lets you hear quite a lot more of what is on the LP. So things I'd not appreciated or even heard before popped out quite obviously and it was just more lifelike sounding. Wasn't nearly as fundamental as the Radikal but I think it's good value in the context of Linn pricing generally including the Linto.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tom, thanks for the information regarding outter platter revision dates and apparent sound improvement. I'll look at your previous posts for aditional data.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

In addition to sounding very nice, the Urika can either eliminate the need for one audio shelf, or free one shelf for another component. It's a very good design concept in terms of physical and sonic efficiency.
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyone been able to rank Radikal vs Cirkus in terms of making the most musical difference? Just curious.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Anyone been able to rank Radikal vs Cirkus in terms of making the most musical difference? Just curious.
I was able to make direct comparisons between the Cirkus Sondek and the Radikal Sondek. In my opinion, while both upgrades certainly made sonic improvements - the Radikal seems to have a larger sonic improvement in a variety of areas. (Not sure if this helps)

Earlier this year, (somewhere on this forum) I provided detailed information regarding my experiences with this particular comparison. If possible, I'll try to find the specific thread...

By the way, "Happy New Year's" to everybody :!:
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tony. Am I right in thinking the Radikal LP12 was pre-Cirkus spec?

Happy New Year to you too! :)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Thanks Tony. Am I right in thinking the Radikal LP12 was pre-Cirkus spec?

Happy New Year to you too! :)
Not sure if I'm understanding your question properly, but I'll answer based on what I think you're asking... 8)

The Linn Cirkus upgrade kit was released in 1993, which included an improved bearing system, stronger sub-chassis arrangement, inner platter and spindle, along with other designs changes. Once this particular upgrade was installed on my Sondek, it did sound much better than without the Cirkus.

The Linn Radikal was released in 2009, and in my opinion it brought more sonic improvement than the Cirkus, although a different type of performance improvement. And needless to say, these two upgrades work together very well 8) .

But in between the Cirkus and Radikal, I had the Keel installed which sounded better than the Cirkus sub-chassis arrangement.

Linn has the complete Cirkus system as a standard item in their new Sondek turntables. Perhaps someday Linn will include the Keel also...or not :wink: .
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tony. I was essentially trying to understand which of the two upgrades in isolation makes the most musical difference, i.e. Pre-Cirkus LP12 fitted with Radikal vs Cirkus LP12 fitted with Lingo. But still interesting to read you think the Radikal was the bigger upgrade although you already had Cirkus upgrade in place.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Thanks Tony. I was essentially trying to understand which of the two upgrades in isolation makes the most musical difference, i.e. Pre-Cirkus LP12 fitted with Radikal vs Cirkus LP12 fitted with Lingo. But still interesting to read you think the Radikal was the bigger upgrade although you already had Cirkus upgrade in place.
I understand your question now...thanks for explaining 8) . That would be a great experiment :!:
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Thanks Tony. I was essentially trying to understand which of the two upgrades in isolation makes the most musical difference, i.e. Pre-Cirkus LP12 fitted with Radikal vs Cirkus LP12 fitted with Lingo. But still interesting to read you think the Radikal was the bigger upgrade although you already had Cirkus upgrade in place.
Although not exactly the same, I did have the Linn Lingo installed before installing the Cirkus upgrade package. So, it was possible to evaluate the Lingo power supply before and after the Cirkus. And needless to say, the Cirkus was an overall improvement :!: Of course at that time, the Radikal wasn't available :wink: .
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tony.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Thanks Tony.
You're welcome Charlie1...this forum covers a great deal of interesting topics regarding the Sondek, and there is always something for me to learn :!:
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Although not exactly the same, I did have the Linn Lingo installed before installing the Cirkus upgrade package. So, it was possible to evaluate the Lingo power supply before and after the Cirkus. And needless to say, the Cirkus was an overall improvement :!: Of course at that time, the Radikal wasn't available :wink: .
Of course now, the Radikal can be evaluated "pre-Dynamik" power supply and "post Dynamik" power supply... 8)
Tony Tune-age