Lingo 4 upgrade

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

BSilviuLuc

Re: Lingo 4 upgrade

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Hello Pedro,

My Lingo was ordered few months back - November 2021 and in December 2021, the package arrived to my dealer's shop. I have some photos which confirms so.

What really annoys me, is the fact that there's need for another order to get the good plastic standoffs. And I bet my dealer doesn't know about this issue. This is on Linn - they should inform all dealers and retailers about this issue.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Normally you don't have to reorder the new standoffs. They are included in the Lingo4 package.
Have you already asked your dealer if the new standoffs are included in your package?
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

I managed to discuss with my dealer. Sorry - my bad. You were right, Pedro. Those standoffs are the old ones.
So, the new Lingo came with two plastic ones, two metallic. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll get it back and report then how I feel about this upgrade.
Thanks and sorry 4 all this mess.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2022-04-05 12:58 I managed to discuss with my dealer. Sorry - my bad. You were right, Pedro. Those standoffs are the old ones.
So, the new Lingo came with two plastic ones, two metallic. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll get it back and report then how I feel about this upgrade.
Thanks and sorry 4 all this mess.
Glad you got that sorted out. The new standoffs have been included with all Lingo 4s fro some time. I don't remember exactly when the switch was made but I would think it was about a year ago. So anybody getting a new Lingo 4 will be getting the new standoffs. It is important that the dealer pays attention to the instructions and puts them in the right places. Linn no longer includes the installation manual with the Lingo 4, the dealer has to download it from the dealer website.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Thank you Thomas!
Now, with a little bit of luck, my dealer will bring my turntable back this week. I can't wait!

Is a little bit premature to talk about new upgrades, but my intention would be to upgrade to Kore. It would be possible to have the Ekos SE installed if I have the Kore? Or it works only with the Keel installed? Sorry if is a dumb question.

Anyway, my first investment will be in a Slipsik 8. Hope by the end of this fall/year.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2022-04-05 21:44 Thank you Thomas!
Now, with a little bit of luck, my dealer will bring my turntable back this week. I can't wait!

Is a little bit premature to talk about new upgrades, but my intention would be to upgrade to Kore. It would be possible to have the Ekos SE installed if I have the Kore? Or it works only with the Keel installed? Sorry if is a dumb question.

Anyway, my first investment will be in a Slipsik 8. Hope by the end of this fall/year.
AN Ekos SE will work on a Kore or even a Cirkus or Majik sub chassis. However, I would recommend a Radikal before an Ekos SE as it is higher in the hierarchy and will make a bigger musical improvement. I know you are just getting a Lingo 4 so thinking about upgrading the motor and controller seems strange, but it really is where you will get the biggest musical improvement.
The LP12 Whisperer
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

This is a double edged sword. If this upgrade is a massive improvement in sound quality(as I read a lot), for sure, it will make me wonder how a Radikal would perform. So, I don't see your recommendation strange at all.
Anyway, I'm planning to enjoy my "lingoed" Linn for a while. I can't wait to get it back. For sure I'll report back. And when the time for a new upgrade will come, I'll gladly come back here. :-)
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

I got my LP12 back. Unfortunately, bad luck stroke, my dealer forgot the belt in his shop. So, I'll be able to pronounce over the sound improvement only on Tuesday afternoon.

One thing that I notice: When I turn on the motor(without the belt) if I put my ear close to the motor pulley, I could hear a faint sound. It's not completely silent. Is this normal? It is like a vibration somehow. It's a very faint one, but is there.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2022-04-10 22:34 One thing that I notice: When I turn on the motor(without the belt) if I put my ear close to the motor pulley, I could hear a faint sound. It's not completely silent. Is this normal? It is like a vibration somehow. It's a very faint one, but is there.
Uhm ... it could be a screw that is not tightened well
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2022-04-10 22:34 I got my LP12 back. Unfortunately, bad luck stroke, my dealer forgot the belt in his shop. So, I'll be able to pronounce over the sound improvement only on Tuesday afternoon.

One thing that I notice: When I turn on the motor(without the belt) if I put my ear close to the motor pulley, I could hear a faint sound. It's not completely silent. Is this normal? It is like a vibration somehow. It's a very faint one, but is there.
That is quite common on a new Lingo 4 motor and will generally go away after some hours of use.
The LP12 Whisperer
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Hi Guys!

Well, like Thomas has stated, the noise disappeared. It run overnight, so that might helped.

Today the belt arrived, and now I am listening to my upgraded LP12. I'm stunned. So much more details, details I've never heard before. Also, the background is much darker, pops and clicks are diminished considerably.
Also, I could sense a wider soundstage, and somehow, don't know if it's the right word, sound became a little warmer, bass is more controlled and tight.
Music makes more sense somehow, now.

I use a Rega Fono MK3. By the end of this year, I'll make an effort to buy a Slipsik 8!

Thank you all for your feedback and patience! You are great, guys!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Glad you are up and running and are enjoying your upgrade. Spin lots of vinyl!
The LP12 Whisperer
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2022-04-12 20:29 I'm stunned. So much more details, details I've never heard before. Also, the background is much darker, pops and clicks are diminished considerably.
Also, I could sense a wider soundstage, and somehow, don't know if it's the right word, sound became a little warmer, bass is more controlled and tight.
Music makes more sense somehow, now.
I was sure you'd love this upgrade. Price/performance wise one of the best you get get for the beloved fruitbox.

Enjoy your easter egg, and join the revolution ;-)
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038