Lingo 4 upgrade

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

BSilviuLuc

Lingo 4 upgrade

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Hi guys,

Time for upgrade. I ordered a new Lingo 4 for my LP12 - Majik specs.
I will have it installed, most likely, in the middle of January.
From what I've read, the sound quality improvement will be massive. Now I'm using the stock source - Majik.
Can you please elaborate? What kind of improvement should I expect?

Also, I realized something that intrigues me: The outer platter of my LP12 is not sitting straight. Basically the right side sits at a different height than the left side(2-3mm difference between the extremities I would say). Don't know how could I explain this better. If I apply a little pressure on my armboard, the platter seems to "sit straight". Pressure removed from armboard, the platter is not "sitting straight" anymore.
It's a sign that my springs must be adjusted? Or is something more serious?
Could this fact alter the sound quality of my LP12?

After the Lingo installation, springs must/should be adjusted? Or, normally, this step could be skipped?

Sorry, a lot of questions, but I prefer to visit my dealer with my homework done.

Thanks!
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lingo 4 upgrade

Post by Tendaberry »

Yes, you're in for a very nice upgrade! And I don't think your LP12 is correctly set up, please address this with your dealer, when he fits the Lingo 4.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Before I bought the Radikal, a Lingo 4 was installed for a few months. Previously I ran the LP12 with a Norton Air PS, which was the best drive to date. I had not heard the Lingo 4 before, but needed a PS because the Norton died. What first amazed me was the precise timing. I had never heard an LP12 like that before. So you'll be surprised what's in the LP12.

If the platter is not in level it should be adjusted. While the Lingo is being installed, this is of course a good opportunity for the dealer.
Trust your ears
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2021-11-22 22:16 Sorry, a lot of questions, but I prefer to visit my dealer with my homework done.

Thanks!
Speaking of homework, hopefully Linn have done theirs and fixed this minor(?) issue with the Lingo 4, or sent instructions to dealers to do it… Read this thread for information and enjoy your Lingo 4 upgrade as it should be.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-11-23 14:27
BSilviuLuc wrote: 2021-11-22 22:16 Sorry, a lot of questions, but I prefer to visit my dealer with my homework done.

Thanks!
Speaking of homework, hopefully Linn have done theirs and fixed this minor(?) issue with the Lingo 4, or sent instructions to dealers to do it… Read this thread for information and enjoy your Lingo 4 upgrade as it should be.
Linn has fixed the grounding problem with the Lingo 4 and also the problem with fitting it in short plinths. Both problems were fixed by new standoffs, the height by shorter ones and the grounding by replacing two of the metal ones with plastic standoffs. The instructions tell the dealer which pair of standoffs go where. Hopefully the dealer reads the instructions.

I think you will find the Lingo 4 a definite improvement in allowing you t hear more of what is in the groove.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Good to know Tom. Looking at an upgrade from lingo 3 to lingo 4 in hopefully near future.

I expect there is still a very nice upgrade to be had?
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Thank you guys!

For sure, I will keep you informed once I'll have it installed.

My dealer claims that the biggest improvement would have been to update the cartridge, namely a moving coil - Krystal.
But I had second thoughts and I opted for a Lingo 4.

And I have in mind (maybe next year) a Kore and an used Ekos 1. Or maybe, if I could get a nice offer for a Radikal, I might bite.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Discodave wrote: 2021-11-23 20:59 Good to know Tom. Looking at an upgrade from lingo 3 to lingo 4 in hopefully near future.

I'm not Tom. Nevertheless, I can confirm that Lingo 3 to Lingo 4 is a very nice upgrade, only topped if you march through to a Radikal, of course. I owned Lingo 1 and 2 myself, and auditioned 3 vs 4 at my trusted dealer in elsewise identical turntables. Lingo 3 to 4 is the biggest step in the Lingo family history. Much more precision in turning the platter!
Last edited by Catweazle on 2021-11-23 22:19, edited 2 times in total.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2021-11-23 22:06 Thank you guys!

My dealer claims that the biggest improvement would have been to update the cartridge, namely a moving coil - Krystal.

And I have in mind (maybe next year) a Kore and an used Ekos 1. Or maybe, if I could get a nice offer for a Radikal, I might bite.
I tend to disagree with your dealer. Unless your cartridge is broken, you made the right move. Moreover, your investment is more sustainable. Cartridges are consumption materiel, as they suffer from wear and tear. The more expensive the cartridge, the more you pay for its replacement every so many hours. The Lingo should last decades.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Catweazle wrote: 2021-11-23 22:09
Discodave wrote: 2021-11-23 20:59 Good to know Tom. Looking at an upgrade from lingo 3 to lingo 4 in hopefully near future.

I'm not Tom. Nevertheless, I can confirm that Lingo 3 to Lingo 4 is a very nice upgrade, only topped if you march through to a Radikal, of course. I owned Lingo 1 and 2 myself, and auditioned 3 vs 4 at my trusted dealer in elsewise identical turntables. Lingo 3 to 4 is the biggest step in the Lingo family history. Much more precision in turning the platter!
Thanks Cat. And no I won't be going the way of the Radikal. Out of my range.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Catweazle wrote: 2021-11-23 22:15

I tend to disagree with your dealer. Unless your cartridge is broken, you made the right move. Moreover, your investment is more sustainable. Cartridges are consumption materiel, as they suffer from wear and tear. The more expensive the cartridge, the more you pay for its replacement every so many hours. The Lingo should last decades.

Exactly what I thought. My Adikt looks good, and I also have a replacement stylus. So no need to hurry. Besides, moving to MC, would require a new phono stage.
I will enjoy my new Lingo, for sure.

I have a jelco tonearm now. An used Ittok LV II would be better?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

+1
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2021-11-23 22:22

Exactly what I thought. My Adikt looks good, and I also have a replacement stylus. So no need to hurry. Besides, moving to MC, would require a new phono stage.
I will enjoy my new Lingo, for sure.

I have a jelco tonearm now. An used Ittok LV II would be better?
A used Ittok LVII or III or an Ekos 1 will definitely be a more musical choice, as long as they are in very good shape. You have to make sure the bearings are still in excellent shape and the tracking force wheel turns smoothly with slight clicks at each half gram and full stops at 0 and 3 grams. Ekos 1s do sometimes have problems, especially with the latter.
The LP12 Whisperer
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Don't mean to hijack this thread but a related question for Tom: Linn initially changed two of the four metal standoffs on the Lingo 4 for nylon. Is this still the case or have they now replaced all four metal standoffs with nylon?
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

sktn77a wrote: 2021-11-24 01:49 Don't mean to hijack this thread but a related question for Tom: Linn initially changed two of the four metal standoffs on the Lingo 4 for nylon. Is this still the case or have they now replaced all four metal standoffs with nylon?
Two are nylon and two are metal. But all 4 are also 2mm shorter than the original four metal ones. On the originals you could sometimes have the screw heads pressing against the Trampolin, in one case I ran into hard enough you wouldn't be able to fasten all four corners to the plinth. Luckily I had my strips to hand I have used for Radikals with shallow plinths.
The LP12 Whisperer
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-11-24 17:28
sktn77a wrote: 2021-11-24 01:49 Don't mean to hijack this thread but a related question for Tom: Linn initially changed two of the four metal standoffs on the Lingo 4 for nylon. Is this still the case or have they now replaced all four metal standoffs with nylon?
Two are nylon and two are metal. But all 4 are also 2mm shorter than the original four metal ones. On the originals you could sometimes have the screw heads pressing against the Trampolin, in one case I ran into hard enough you wouldn't be able to fasten all four corners to the plinth. Luckily I had my strips to hand I have used for Radikals with shallow plinths.
Hi Thomas!
My Lingo was ordered few days ago by my dealer. So I could safely assume that the (new) Lingo 4 would be sent by Linn.
Having two nylon standoffs would be a clear indicator that is the new one? I'm wondering if the adjustments are still required for the new one(cutting the ground from XLR connector)

Thanks!
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

I don't think anyone has checked if the two nylon standoffs have cured the problem. Presumably Linn did this in response to Fredericks findings(?)
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

BSilviuLuc wrote: 2021-11-25 19:03
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-11-24 17:28
Hi Thomas!
My Lingo was ordered few days ago by my dealer. So I could safely assume that the (new) Lingo 4 would be sent by Linn.
Having two nylon standoffs would be a clear indicator that is the new one? I'm wondering if the adjustments are still required for the new one(cutting the ground from XLR connector)

Thanks!
sktn77a wrote: 2021-11-26 03:09 I don't think anyone has checked if the two nylon standoffs have cured the problem. Presumably Linn did this in response to Fredericks findings(?)
Yes, I did check and when installed properly, as per the instruction sheet, it does solve the problem and doesn't require messing with the ground. The use of plastic standoffs was one of the original suggestions I made to Linn service as a possible fix. I was glad to see that they had implemented it and it worked.

Linn no longer includes the instructions with the Lingo 4 which have to be downloaded from the dealer website. Note that where the different standoffs are supposed to be placed is indicated by red and blue circles (OK ovals) at the locations so a color printer is handy!
The LP12 Whisperer
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Hi guys,

Finally my Linn is upgraded to Lingo 4. Unfortunately, it was impossible for me to assist to the installing process. With a little bit of luck, I might get it back by the end of the week.
Now, there's one thing that bugs me. I read(don't remember where exactly - possible here) that Linn acknowledged some issues, and replaced the metallic standoffs with plastic ones for Lingo 4.
Now, my dealer sent me some pictures, and I'm a little bit confused. It looks like I have (old) metallic standoffs. Any thoughts? Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Hello BSILVIULUC,

You are right, they are the old standoffs. Your dealer should reorder the new ones from Linn.
I see from the dealer's photo that your dealer is using the installation manual with revision number 8 - but it is currently number 11.

Here is the excerpt from the current instructions:
Lingo4 Kopie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Pedro - Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Goddamit! This lingo 4 was ordered in December 2021. So is a new one. Why would someone has to order new standoffs since they(Linn) realized that there's an issue with the old metallic ones? Now it's a little bit late, my dealer will bring back my turntable soon. But, I'm very skeptical. I'm afraid that I will not experience the "full power" lingo 4 in my system. What a pity...
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Your dealer should order the new standoffs from Linn free of charge. They have been part of the scope of delivery for a long time.
You can then exchange the standoffs at the next LP12 service. - It will then sound even better!
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
BSilviuLuc

Post by BSilviuLuc »

Pedro,

I understand that. But why there's need for a new order, since they acknowledged this issue? It would be much easier to pack them in the lingo's package.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

In the last Lingo4 packages, the new standoffs were always already included.
Are you sure your dealer got a new Lingo4 package from Glasgow or did he have an older one in stock?
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Hello BSilviuLuc,

I noticed in the LP12 photo from your dealer that the standoffs are still in the position required for the Majik PSU.
Maybe the dealer hadn't removed the old standoffs at the time of the photo and the new standoffs are still in the packaging of the Lingo4 ...