Streamer to compare with KDSM/2

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Streamer to compare with KDSM/2

Post by springwood64 »

I do not find the distinction between Källa AirPlay support and the Källa Protokoll clear, and it would be interesting if Frederik's team provided some diagrams to better illustrate where the two differ.

As a (very old) software developer, I can hazard a guess.

AirPlay comprises software running on the Apple Device, a set of messages sent and received, and software running on the playback device (Källa).

Normally 'protocol' refers to messages exchanged between remote services, which in this case I would have thought has to be AirPlay in order for the Apple devices to communicate with Källa.

Perhaps in this case, Frederik's team is differentiating the software running on Källa, and calling that 'Protokoll'
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-10-20 08:17 I do not find the distinction between Källa AirPlay support and the Källa Protokoll clear, and it would be interesting if Frederik's team provided some diagrams to better illustrate where the two differ.
I bet Fredrik does not want to disclosure too much as it might be the core why Källa is sounding so musical.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

From my point of view, I don't want anything from Apple in the house, so the Källa will have to wait for now.
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Peter Lanky wrote: 2021-10-20 08:34 From my point of view, I don't want anything from Apple in the house, so the Källa will have to wait for now.
.......maybe then you will not get the thrill of the best sounding device :-(

Matt
Matt

Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-20 08:37
Peter Lanky wrote: 2021-10-20 08:34 From my point of view, I don't want anything from Apple in the house, so the Källa will have to wait for now.
.......maybe then you will not get the thrill of the best sounding device :-(

Matt
But I don't know that for certain at the moment do I, and it's not exactly easy to have a listening test without taking the risk and buying the kit, even if there was any serious probability of doing that at the moment, due to limited production. Apart from my distaste of Apple, I don't want another piece of technology that I have no other use for and the need to buy a preamp as well, which is also not the easiest or cheapest task in the world. If Källa is so good, then I'm sure there will be a more practical way of using it developed before long.
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Peter Lanky wrote: 2021-10-20 08:45 But I don't know that for certain at the moment do I, and it's not exactly easy to have a listening test without taking the risk and buying the kit, even if there was any serious probability of doing that at the moment, due to limited production. Apart from my distaste of Apple, I don't want another piece of technology that I have no other use for and the need to buy a preamp as well, which is also not the easiest or cheapest task in the world. If Källa is so good, then I'm sure there will be a more practical way of using it developed before long.
I do not know where you are located but in the UK or US you surely can get a Källa for demo at home.
In Germany are not many Lejonklou dealers at least not in the southern part where I live.
But I would not invest in products which apparently are inferior sounding to Källa.
Fredrik found that a DVC is not a good thing and so you do not have it in Källa.
I never had digital products from Linn but if I had I most certainly would sell them (after listening to Källa) and would go for a Källa and a Giella Pi as preamp (if I need a preamp). Both together is a little bit more than 8k, then consider the upgrade policy of Linn with upcoming Organik.......:-(
And this Lejonklou frontend would be a perfect match to your existing system.

Matt
Matt

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Peter Lanky wrote: 2021-10-20 08:45 But I don't know that for certain at the moment do I, and it's not exactly easy to have a listening test without taking the risk and buying the kit, even if there was any serious probability of doing that at the moment, due to limited production. Apart from my distaste of Apple, I don't want another piece of technology that I have no other use for and the need to buy a preamp as well, which is also not the easiest or cheapest task in the world. If Källa is so good, then I'm sure there will be a more practical way of using it developed before long.
Several of us in the UK have already benefited from Kantata Audio's home demonstration service. I suggest you contact John if you become serious about trying Källa. As you don't have a preamp, you could investigate Giella, which is small enough that it should fit on one shelf with Källa.. And my understanding is that the reason Källa is so good, is precisely because it requires an Apple device. If you have an insurmountable objection to their products, even second-hand, you could try an Android device with an app to emulate airplay - this has been mentioned elsewhere. Whether it will sound as good is unknown.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty