Hi and hello ;)

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

DeQMaster

Hi and hello ;)

Post by DeQMaster »

Hi

Some of you maybe already know me from the Linn forum.

My name is DeQMaster, and i live in spain. I have recently build my very first real system, which is:

Late Kairn Pro

Late Klout

Yamaha CDX-993 http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Jr ... ent=safari

Linn Espek + K400 cable

All and everyone told me to upgrade my source first, but an ikemi is, at least 1000€ second hand and i was asking myself if its really worth.

Then i can look for an used genki if its an advantage over my yamaha, but no idea really.

Also tought about buying a numerik or any other no-too-pricey DAC if ou recomend me, in order to use instead of the yamaha´s builtin dac. Also will use the DAC to build somekind of sneaky device, but cheaply

Sadly i have no way to hear ikemi, genki or numerik, cant figure if any of them are really worth or if is a real avantage over my current source.

Also tought on buying a second klout in order to biamp the espeks, which many say it will take a noticeable sonic advantage.

Questions!questions!questions! ;)

Any hints?
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

BW, just found this about the yamaha player.

Its said to be the most musical and it fact it was the high end during many time.

Yamaha:two transformers, class A all stages,weight 9.6kg, DAC:YAC514-F - CXD2545Q, s/N 118db, dynamic range 98db
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi DeQ and welcome here!

Quite a good system you've got and in my opinion you should definitely try another source. Not because I've heard your Yamaha player (at least not that I can remember), but simply based on experience with many other CD players. Some highly praised with excellent specifications, but still not very musical. And whenever something extraordinary outside the Linn range turns up, it usually becomes known and mentioned on a forum such as this.

One option is to head down the DS road, which will sound better than almost any CD player out there. It does however require additional equipment and some work and dedication to set it all up properly.

Another option is to stay with CD:s and I think you've already nailed the best bang for the buck: Ikemi. Not only does it match your Kairn+Klout in appearance, it also sounds really great. In my opinion it's a lot better than the Genki, which is a bit harsh and less musical in comparison. And it's not far behind a Majik CD, which most likely will cost a lot more.

You don't have to pay 1000 Euro for an Ikemi these days. I just saw one here (the seller is a customer of mine):
http://forum.selleri.de/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5789

P.S. You have a pm in your inbox regarding your email address, which seems to have a problem.
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

Thank you for the welcome words!

Well, i have build my system in a humble budget (insane health problems here and huge health service bills to pay), and i found this nice linn system cheap, and really pristine, not to far away home.

Sadly i dont have access to any other cd player with better specs than my humble yamaha, not to mention any linn cd player, which i can compare with.

The DS way is not my cup of tea, because it needs a custom server program in the computer, and not a mere ftp server or something.I dont want to be at the computer just to "change the disc". although, i plan to build something similar to sneaky using a low power computer suchs bplan´s efika is, and a good DAC that fits on my system.I would build my own software that fills my taste (maybe all controlable using a universal remote or sth, didnt decide yet)

What scares me about buying a second hand cd player is the life of the laser head :/

I have contacted already with Linncredible, but shiping costs to spain would be really high :(
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Interesting project you have ahead of you there. :D You will definitely have use for a good source to be able to compare your creation with, don't you think? :wink:

I regularly ship across Europe, it shouldn't be that expensive... Swedish Post parcel and perhaps some insurance. Make sure to ask him to wrap the Linn box in brown paper, it has unfortunately become a brand that is occasionally stolen in transit. Unmarked brown boxes travel more safely.
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

How much would be the shipping costs for the ikemi? more or less of course

Any hints about a decent dac? a modern one or i have to dig in the hunt of a numerik?

Given you use an external dac for our audo, is the transport so noticeable?

If my health permits me, maybe im doing such machine in the near future ;)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

DeQMaster wrote:Given you use an external dac for our audo, is the transport so noticeable?
In one word: YES! The transport is more important than the DAC for musicality. In most cases, it doesn't make any sense getting a new dac for an old transport.

This is difficult to grasp until you've experienced it. Quite a few years ago I compared many DAC's and CD-players and the best thing was usually to play a good CD-player by itself. Such as the Ikemi, which couldn't be improved with any external DAC.

And in the choice of Ikemi+simple DAC with Genki+best possible DAC, the Ikemi+simple DAC combination won every time.

(www.posten.se has the prices in SEK. Don't know what your parcel weighs, so you'd best discuss that with Linncredible.)
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

DeQMaster wrote:The DS way is not my cup of tea, because it needs a custom server program in the computer, and not a mere ftp server or something.
DeQMaster

You may not be aware that in the latest version of the firmware for the DS, there is a new "Jukebox" mode, which does in fact just need the ability to provide the FLAC (or other file types) over HTTP, so that all you need to run is a standard HTTP server. That said, you would also need something to build the playlists. The easiest way to do this is the new KinskyJukebox software, which needs Windows or Linux/Mono, but it's a simple text file, so you could build them in some other way. Once the jukebox playlists are setup, they have numeric references, and you can access them direct from the DS remote control (just type "015" to play playlist 15 etc.)

Also, be aware that when you say "a custom server program....not a mere FTP server" that it's not really a custom program, it's a UPnP server which is a new standard, just like FTP was a new standard some years ago. There are several server programmes which can be installed, and many come as standard with NAS drives or server operating systems. In a few years time I have no doubt that UPnP servers will be totally standard in all home servers, the way that FTP and HTTP are now.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

rowlandhills wrote: Also, be aware that when you say "a custom server program....not a mere FTP server" that it's not really a custom program, it's a UPnP server which is a new standard, just like FTP was a new standard some years ago. There are several server programmes which can be installed, and many come as standard with NAS drives or server operating systems. In a few years time I have no doubt that UPnP servers will be totally standard in all home servers, the way that FTP and HTTP are now.
Yes and this is the beuty with Linn DS concept.
It's a totaly open standard, no owned by MS, Apple or Linn! = future proof.

And as rowlandhills wrote, due to this you can control your DS in many ways!
Go for it :!:
It's all about musical understanding!
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

Then do yo recomend me a sneaky DS, which i can buy used for some 950euro, instead of the ikemi?

What about the musicality of the sneaky?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Better than Akurate CD!
It's all about musical understanding!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

DeQMaster wrote:Then do yo recomend me a sneaky DS, which i can buy used for some 950euro, instead of the ikemi?
Definitely! :)
DeQMaster wrote: What about the musicality of the sneaky?
Many people say that it's more musical than the Akurate CD, and close to CD12!
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Welcome to the forum DeQMaster. You have received much good advice above and I am really just agreeing with what was said.

If you want to stick with physical CD playback you should definitely go for an Ikemi. It is quite a bit more musical than the Genki and has a very smooth and musical high end that is still detailed - a balance that is very rare in CD players regardless of the cost. I agree with everything Fredrik has said about the importance of the transport over the DAC and can say it is a rare DAC that can improve on the performance of what is built into the Ikemi.

On the streaming front, the Sneaky DS is substantially better than the Ikemi and Majik CD. In comparisons we had at the store all felt it was more musical than the Akurate CD - although the Akurate did some things better we all preferred the Sneaky DS. So this is certainly a very good way to go and with the Cara software Linn is really getting the interface and usability together.

Either way a source upgrade should definitely be your next move as it will make a much larger musical improvement than adding another Klout will. Either of the above sources will really bring this system together in a very satisfying way.
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

I have found an Ikemi not too far away from here (aka i can collect by hand), even the guy loans it to me for a few days in order to try it at home.

Sadly its asking 1000 euro. Whats a fair price to pay for the ikemi?

I still dont know its serial number.

I decided to go for ikemi, because i like having my cd collection and put them in the tray of the player and push the play button :) Also, as sneaky is new product, i suppose i can buy it later without supplying problems by the dealer.

Sadly its not an akurate CD but its price is far out of my league.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

DeQMaster wrote:Whats a fair price to pay for the ikemi?
I would not pay more than €600 for a late unit in great shape.

Welcome :)
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

Anyone interested in selling an Ikemi?

Seems Linncredible doesnt check his personal mails at Linn forums : (
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

DeQMaster wrote:Anyone interested in selling an Ikemi?

Seems Linncredible doesnt check his personal mails at Linn forums : (
Hi DeQMaster!
I thought I answered your PM yesterday but evidently something went wrong and it wasn't sent. Sent you a PM again a moment ago! I have a potential buyer for the Ikemi here in Sweden - I'll contact you if that deal by some reason is off.
Best regards
Linncredible
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

Thank you dude :)