The LP12 just got better (again)

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The LP12 just got better (again)

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Arjen wrote: 2021-12-12 15:14 Guinness, off the Record, boys, topped with a Shamrock. Tirconaill Bar, The Gorbals.
I'm on board with the Guinness. Relatives emerged from the Gorbals and prospered. Your knowledge of Scotland is probably superior to my knowledge of Amsterdam and I lived there for a year (working too close to MediaMarkt for my own good :)).

The rapid transition from well respected genius to an ex genius reminds me of the Tinder mentality. I've rarely been into brand love - technology evolves quickly. To expect a loved brand to get it right all the time is a touch naive. One brand you can always trust is your own ears.

There's been a trend on this forum for "unexpectedly" musical equipment to emerge from the pro music sector. The Gigaport DAC was followed by the JBLs (respect to Jajo). Looking at pro subwoofers it's clear that the inputs and outputs are higher spec than the typical home theatre subwoofer for the same or less money. The pro subwoofers are designed to allow monitors to be connected in series from the subwoofer (there are typically more controls too).

My good fortune with pro equipment went further this weekend when comparing a pro USB audio interface to my Linn preamp. The interface was less than £100 and contains a phono stage and pre amp. I haven't tested the phono stage but the preamp is on a par with my Linn preamp for musicality. I forgot I owned the USB audio interface (I bought it with the intention of recording vinyl as flac but it never was used for that). My secondary system now has a preamp and JBL 305Ps.

Peter Walker of Quad seems to merit addition to list started by Spannko.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-12-12 18:38
Arjen wrote: 2021-12-12 15:14 Guinness, off the Record, boys, topped with a Shamrock. Tirconaill Bar, The Gorbals.
I'm on board with the Guinness. Relatives emerged from the Gorbals and prospered. Your knowledge of Scotland is probably superior to my knowledge of Amsterdam and I lived there for a year (working too close to MediaMarkt for my own good :)).

The rapid transition from well respected genius to an ex genius reminds me of the Tinder mentality. I've rarely been into brand love - technology evolves quickly. To expect a loved brand to get it right all the time is a touch naive. One brand you can always trust is your own ears.
Right on FairPlayMotty.
Twas about 20 years back that I trusted my eyes when on a rainy Sunday I put my eyes through a shopwindow on Naim gear, I believe in St. Vincent Street. I had met friends in Donegal campsite who lived in Govan Hill, many summers we travelled by bus from Tory Island, then Falcaragh by bus to Glasgow as there was a close connection between Donegal and Glasgow/Gorbals/Govan Hill. Tory Island, good landscape, seascape, for nightly music entertainment and Guiness, Glasgow the Art School, Nice n’ Sleazy Sauchiehall, The Pastels and Monorail and Avalache. Anyway, not Linn caught me eye but Naim. So some years later I changed Marantz for the 5 series, ended up with SN2 and CD player and some caps. I’m happy with that.
Specially with the Slipsik 7 as a phono, for Naim Stageline is no good with my Lenco and Nagaoka.
Like you say trust your ears and when the design is good and don’t get crazy all the time, haunted by new innovations, very expensive upgrades (LP12Klimax versus upgraded Lenco 76/S) or New Gurus. (Although very excited with Fredrik
Products). So I’m happy with Clannad, Paul Brady, Goats don’t Shave, Pastels, Wells, Moffat, Yorkston playing on my in Glasgow found Naim and later (from Amsterdam) extended gear.
Last edited by Arjen on 2021-12-14 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-12-12 18:38 Peter Walker of Quad seems to merit addition to list started by Spannko.
Unless my eyes failed me, he started the list.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tamblers

Post by Tamblers »

Edgar Villchur was a genius.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-12-09 17:55
Spannko wrote: 2021-11-17 21:53 In the past, Quad was run by a genius and ruled the world. Then Linn and Naim, who were also run by genii, ruled the world. Then ………….
Lejonklou came about, run by a genius who is extremely detail oriented (understatement)...
+1
Tony Tune-age
Tamblers

Post by Tamblers »

Now that ThomasOK has mentioned that the Radikal upgrade does not eliminate the issue of motor contact with the Trampolin/Urika baseboard I’d like to ask if he, as a Linn dealer representative, has asked them why that is. They apparently have recognized the problem exists, and have made an effort to correct it. A solution, though, that does not work for some, including many owners of OEM Linn plinths. I, for one, am not keen on adding home made wood shims, I’ve read read layered coffee stir sticks work well, to a turntable I’ve invested over 20K into to keep current.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tamblers wrote: 2021-12-19 00:10 Edgar Villchur was a genius.
Agreed.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tamblers wrote: 2021-12-19 20:39 Now that ThomasOK has mentioned that the Radikal upgrade does not eliminate the issue of motor contact with the Trampolin/Urika baseboard I’d like to ask if he, as a Linn dealer representative, has asked them why that is. They apparently have recognized the problem exists, and have made an effort to correct it. A solution, though, that does not work for some, including many owners of OEM Linn plinths. I, for one, am not keen on adding home made wood shims, I’ve read read layered coffee stir sticks work well, to a turntable I’ve invested over 20K into to keep current.
It would be more correct to say that I stated it doesn't always eliminate the issue. Seeing as when I first explained the problem several years ago I was told it didn't exist, I haven't felt any inclination to bring up the subject again. You might want to approach them directly with your concerns.
The LP12 Whisperer
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-12-10 19:26 Another update I forgot to put above. The new motor is still not a complete fix for the problem of the motor bottom pushing on the Trampolin2/Urika foot. I think I mentioned earlier that Linn had machined 1mm of the metal away on the bottom plate, as has been shown in several photos on the web. At the time I felt this might not be enough in some cases. My suspicion was proven correct this weekend when I installed an upgrade in an LP12 that had needed the wooden strips to fix the problem and it still needed them with the new motor.
I do not know how much this problem affects my sound because I never managed to eliminate it completly. In my case it’s the screw that thouches the motor. I think it prevents the rubber part of the feet from touching. I milled down the screw and then some rubber was touching, and it sounded worse. I then tried the present alu Solid base but I must say my trampolin was still much better! So the motor/trampolin problem isn’t bigger than the difference between solid and trampolin base in my case. I also tried some wood strips but they where very thin so I layered two with minimal liquid gasket sticky stuff in between them. That also sounded worse but possibly it was still touching. I got tired and want original. So I bought brand new trampolin 2 just so I never have to see that uncleanliness again, it was only a milled down screw but anyway :D
the players of instruments shall be there..