The LP12 just got better (again)

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

The LP12 just got better (again)

Post by Tendaberry »

Since this topic is being discussed intensely on other forums already, I see no reason, not to share this info:
On the 20. October Linn is launching a new version of the Radikal, featuring a hyper-accurate FPGA-managed motor control unit, new motor housing for better decoupling, shorter signal paths on new board and quieter, regulated supply rails, that improve the sound quality of Urika 1 & 2. An upgrade kit will be available, costing around € 2.255,-

A new cartridge, the Ekstatik will be launched above the Kandid, costing around € 7.090,-. It features a new skeletonised body and a sapphire cantilever with a Micro-Ridge stylus. Visually it has some similarities with the EMT Novel-range.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The LP12 just got better (again)

Post by Matteo »

Thanks

is there any link?

I just did a research on Google and found nothing.

M.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: 2021-09-23 17:17 is there any link?
I just did a research on Google and found nothing.
Some discussion:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... w-radikal/
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads ... al.259547/
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/new-l ... ikal/18880

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Thanks

Just saw the discussions.

I meant an official link.

M.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: 2021-09-23 17:32 I meant an official link.
In my understanding there is none.
The prices of DSM and LP12 are converging.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Did they finally solved the infamous Radikal / Trampolin problem?

M.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Is this an upgrade for the Radikal which includes the motor? lets see what a new Radikal would cost in this case as it might be better to sell the existing Akurate Radikal and spend the 2255,- for the upgrade on a new one if the upgrade for the Akurate Radikal costs 2255,-
its a different scenario for the Klimax Radikal where it would make more sense to use the upgrade.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-23 21:16 Is this an upgrade for the Radikal which includes the motor? lets see what a new Radikal would cost in this case as it might be better to sell the existing Akurate Radikal and spend the 2255,- for the upgrade on a new one if the upgrade for the Akurate Radikal costs 2255,-
its a different scenario for the Klimax Radikal where it would make more sense to use the upgrade.
The new Radikal includes a new motor that is supposed to be lower noise and better performance. Linn is claiming the lowest drift from 33.3 RPM that they have ever achieved and also the most accurate speed of any turntable on the market.
The upgrades include the new motor and the new main board. One would hope that the motor housing height problem has been addressed with the new motor/housing but I can't say for sure yet. The PS/controller casework hasn't changed.

Linn will not be publishing photos and information until the official consumer launch on October 20th. When they do there should be a fair bit of information as they will be billing this as a relaunch of the Klimax LP12. Although it has gone unmentioned in the posts on the Wam Linn forum so far, Linn is also bringing back the fluted plinth as a regularly available option for a small additional charge. It will be available in the standard 5 finishes but not on the custom color plinths.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

my scenario for the Akurate also doesnt make sense as the new Akurate Radikal also comes with a price increase of 1000 - 1200 Euro (just translating the GBP increase into Euros). So for existing Radikal owners is better to use the upgrade kit. Would be great if a Renew Radikal would be available as an option ;)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-24 12:39 ... Would be great if a Renew Radikal would be available as an option ;)
Now *there* is an idea! Let's hope :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-24 13:57
Defender wrote: 2021-09-24 12:39 ... Would be great if a Renew Radikal would be available as an option ;)
Yes, that is a very interesting idea. Certainly would allow for more people to upgrade to original Radikal performance. However, Linn will also be announcing an upgrade program to the Radikal for the first time where you will be able to get a guaranteed trade in on your old power supply. Details are thin on the ground right now but I am pretty sure Lingo 4 and Lingo 3 will be applicable, maybe others as well. No idea what the trade in values will be.
The LP12 Whisperer
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-24 16:32
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-24 13:57
Yes, that is a very interesting idea. Certainly would allow for more people to upgrade to original Radikal performance. However, Linn will also be announcing an upgrade program to the Radikal for the first time where you will be able to get a guaranteed trade in on your old power supply. Details are thin on the ground right now but I am pretty sure Lingo 4 and Lingo 3 will be applicable, maybe others as well. No idea what the trade in values will be.
What does Linn do with the traded in Lingo’s?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

probably they are going into the bin - Linn is not in the used business.
the Renew for Radikal would not only need a case but also a Linn Dynamic power supply as I think only the motor control board will be replaced.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-24 18:32 probably they are going into the bin - Linn is not in the used business.
the Renew for Radikal would not only need a case but also a Linn Dynamic power supply as I think only the motor control board will be replaced.
I suspect that the program will allow the dealers to keep the traded in Lingos and sell them used to others. This has been the case with other trade in schemes Linn has done, for instance the trade-in program for older Klimax DSMs and System Hubs for the new version. While Linn does give a trade-in amount on these programs, they are partly subsidized by the dealer as Linn does not give the full amount you receive to the dealer. Letting the dealer sell on the items allows them to make up the profit they gave up on the sale to accept the trade in.

This does not apply to upgrades where Linn often requires the return or destruction of the replaced parts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the Radikal upgrades are handled but I don't yet know how the program works or what the costs are. That information is supposed to follow sometime before the public launch.

I doubt this will surprise anybody, but I have an Ekstatik and a new Radikal with machined chassis on order since before the dealer newsletter went out. The cartridge will most likely take a little longer than the Radikal as the first batch are reserved for dealer demo purchases.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-25 16:56 .. upgrades where Linn often requires the return or destruction of the replaced parts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the Radikal upgrades are handled but I don't yet know...
If so, that would be disappointing for a number of reasons... reuse (resale) would be so much better than return for recycling "or destruction" :(
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-25 17:31
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-25 16:56 .. upgrades where Linn often requires the return or destruction of the replaced parts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the Radikal upgrades are handled but I don't yet know...
If so, that would be disappointing for a number of reasons... reuse (resale) would be so much better than return for recycling "or destruction" :(
The problem is that the Radikal is an upgrade that replaces the motor and the main controller board in the Radikal case. In order to reuse the replaced parts you would need a new case, a Dynamik power supply, a sensor board and a power switch - pieces which history tells me Linn is unlikely to be willing to sell separately.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-25 20:59 .. the Radikal is an upgrade that replaces the motor and the main controller board in the Radikal case. In order to reuse the replaced parts you would need a new case, a Dynamik power supply, a sensor board and a power switch - pieces which history tells me Linn is unlikely to be willing to sell separately.
(Re)new case and Dynamik power supply haven't been a problem in the past; that would just leave sensor board and a power switch which should be in Linn's parts/spares inventory - they could do it if they wanted but I doubt they'd think there was anything in it for them... So, sadly, I take your point.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Even if the number under the bottom line is just a black zero, Linn might benefit from some soft non-linear effects. For example:
- Customers who start upgrading one bit of their equipment, may be more willing to upgrade other parts of there system, too.
- Improvements of the system might impress friends and motivate others to by from Linn - especially, when linked to a sustainability story, that matches the zeitgeist.
- Positive customer experiences drive customer retention, leading to recommendations and further sales.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Matteo wrote: 2021-09-23 17:52 Did they finally solved the infamous Radikal / Trampolin problem?

M.
It appears they did.

Also a couple of other updates. Pricing for the upgrade in the US is $2275 and the kits are supposed to start shipping in a couple of weeks. New units are already shipping. The trade in program allows you to trade in an standard (Akurate) Radikal 1 or a Lingo (any version) for a machined (Klimax) Radikal 2. Credit for the standard radikal is $1300 and for the Lingo $795. At this time the trade in is only available toward a machined Radikal 2 which runs $8450. Likely to make it less than completely exciting to Lingo owners (although $795 is a great trade in price for a Lingo 1).
The LP12 Whisperer
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Hooray! My Klimax Radikal is on order :-)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Exciting!

Have you got Akurate Radikal now then?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-10-08 11:41 Exciting!

Have you got Akurate Radikal now then?
Yes, I got a trade-in offer I couldn't refuse...
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hi Tendaberry do you know the new listprice of the Klimax Radikal and the new Akurate Radikal?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Sorry, no. I only have the Swedish prices (incl. 25% VAT): KR SEK 80.600,- AR SEK 52.700,-
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Prices in Euros are £6500 and £4250 respectively. In the US $8450 and $5525.
The LP12 Whisperer