Linn Classik K as a headphone Amp only......!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Dazza

Linn Classik K as a headphone Amp only......!

Post by Dazza »

Hi Folks.

Circumstances change and i seem to be using headphones (B&W PX7) a lot recently albeit with laptop/ipad as the source. I have a Linn/Naim system. My Linn is a reasonably high spec Linn so thats my main source but I have just ordered a Naim ND5 XS2 to replace a quite brilliant (for the money) Nord Streamer.
Trust me, looking after grandchildren determines a change in listening hence my predicament. Thank goodness my Linn is on a wall shelf!!

My Naim's are NAP202/NAP200DR/NAPSC and my question is .....can i use my Linn Classik K (currently only using its CD section.....)as a stand alone Headphone Amp into my Naim 202 and if yes, how?

I don't want to dive into Naim Headline territory as it doesn't stop there, i'd need an additional power supply, and thats an additional cost i could do without. For the time being i only wish for a budget or slightly better headphone amp and to be frank, the Linn Classik' K's headphone socket seemed adequate when i last used it as part of a stand alone amp system.
I've researched Creek OBH -11, Rega EAR, Graham See Solo and similar around their sort of price but it strikes me i should be able to use Linn Classik K's socket but just don't know how.

Your thoughts and advice as always will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Dazza
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Classik K as a headphone Amp only......!

Post by ThomasOK »

You should be able to do what you want with the Classik K as a headphone amp. You would need a 5 pin DIN connector wired properly to send the outputs from the NAC202 to left and right RCAs for the Classik K. It looks like you could use the Tape, AV or AUX1 connections for this as all three show an output capability. Then plug the RCAs into one of the inputs on the Classik K. The Classik K volume control will adjust the headphone level, the output from the 202 should be fixed from these outputs. I am not familiar with the 202 so there are two ways it might work. One is that whatever input you select on the 202 will be automatically routed to the line outputs mentioned (this is how I think it is likely it works). The other is that the remote has a button that allows you to choose what input you want to Record while you Listen to another (less likely on this simple a preamp). Either way the volume control on the 202 should have no effect on the headphone volume.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.