JBL 308P and 708P

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

John
Very active member
Very active member

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by John »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-05 21:05 Well, if it's fun listening to, then it's good. If it's no fun listening to, then it's not good.

I've had good experiences with analog-to-digital-to-analog conversions when they're done in a closed and compact environment.
If one can choose the amount of digital processing, it's usually best with as little as possible. And when the digital stream travels between units and involves several clocks, the musical quality usually drops like a stone (and often it sounds artificial as well). Analogue signals are much less fragile to move around, in my experience.

If your iOS or MacOS device streams a film, you can route the sound through Källa. Not sure about games - latency is likely to ruin the experience.
The two Sonos Amps I’ve been using for quite some time fail to disappoint. Great for streaming Spotify, listening to my LP12 and for the one in my 3 season porch, for TV as well.

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote: 2021-09-06 12:45 Am I missing something here.

A pair of JBL 308s with stands for less than 500 euros - and that includes built in amplication.

And all sounding very musical?
Yes, they are a lot of fun for little money.

The quality of the stands have a strong influence on performance, as always.
jajo

Post by jajo »

I've had both Katan and Kan stands to my 308 and for me the Kan stands perform best. A friend used Akudorik stands with 308 which also worked great.

It is really night and day difference comparing with the flimsy stands that they sometimes are sold bundled with (JBL does not make official stands for these speakers).
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Thank you guys! Very interesting :) My 3677's will probably stay for a while even if they are huge and ugly and lacking low frequencies. But it's comforting to know that I have some reasonable options to replace my 3677 if something should happen to them.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Azazello wrote: 2021-09-06 17:08 Thank you guys! Very interesting :) My 3677's will probably stay for a while even if they are huge and ugly and lacking low frequencies. But it's comforting to know that I have some reasonable options to replace my 3677 if something should happen to them.
+1

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

Azazello wrote: 2021-09-06 17:08 Thank you guys! Very interesting :) My 3677's will probably stay for a while even if they are huge and ugly and lacking low frequencies. But it's comforting to know that I have some reasonable options to replace my 3677 if something should happen to them.
Do they really lack low frequency information?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-09-06 18:37
Majik 109 plays deeper. 3677 is almost like two elements of a three way speaker; they seem to be designed to be used exclusively with the sub.

They do however have a lot of slam in the deep midrange, which is really nice!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-09-06 18:37 Do they really lack low frequency information?
When you listen to something like James Blake "Limit To Your Love" you will not miss anything. There is slam, impact, definition. It is just that the lowest octave from 20 to 40Hz seems to be absent.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-06 14:05 I've had both Katan and Kan stands to my 308 and for me the Kan stands perform best. A friend used Akudorik stands with 308 which also worked great.

It is really night and day difference comparing with the flimsy stands that they sometimes are sold bundled with (JBL does not make official stands for these speakers).
If I can source some Linn Kan stands (I used to have a pair) I may well get some 308s and try them in the attic with my old Rega Planar 3 .

If the 308s had a ‘normal’ domestic finish , I would try them with one of my sneakys.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
jajo

Post by jajo »

u252agz wrote: 2021-09-06 21:05
jajo wrote: 2021-09-06 14:05 I've had both Katan and Kan stands to my 308 and for me the Kan stands perform best. A friend used Akudorik stands with 308 which also worked great.

If I can source some Linn Kan stands (I used to have a pair) I may well get some 308s and try them in the attic with my old Rega Planar 3 .

If the 308s had a ‘normal’ domestic finish , I would try them with one of my sneakys.
Make sure that you get the MK1 of 308 (not the latest version).

If you find a good pair and install them properly, I bet you will not get better musical performance from any Linn speaker.
jajo

Post by jajo »

IDS0066387.jpg
308 MK2 (don't buy)
d4b3eae311e2344e5c99adb5b45a5ba2.jpg
308 MK1 (buy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks Jajo

Thats really helpful.

Its a shame that the readily available Mk II is not the one to go for.

Buying used active speakers is not without risk and I suspect a 'try before you buy' approach will be necessary.

I will keep my eyes ( and ears ) open.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

u252agz wrote: 2021-09-07 11:10 Thanks Jajo

Thats really helpful.

Its a shame that the readily available Mk II is not the one to go for.

Buying used active speakers is not without risk and I suspect a 'try before you buy' approach will be necessary.

I will keep my eyes ( and ears ) open.
+1 ...
Music First ...
Vlado
cortina

Post by cortina »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-07 01:18
If you find a good pair and install them properly, I bet you will not get better musical performance from any Linn speaker.
Is that with or without a ”for the money” condition?
Without, that must be the rejection of the century of Linn speakers as it would/could include any power amp(s) and Linn speakers.

Are you running the 708Ps with subwoofers(s)?
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

My impression on this forum was that Linn using digital technology, with the likes of the Urika, in the analog chain was a bad thing. What changes when it’s done with this JBL speaker which I assume is taking the analog input and converting it to digital?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

It's the end result that matters and Exakt has come on a long way in the past 7+ years. I've heard some real hit and miss Exakt systems during that time. I think they can be really good now but, for me, it's usually via digitally sourced material. K350As just playing YouTube were great when I heard them earlier this year with the latest s/w - about time :D

There were plenty of negative forum comments about Linn's DVC a few years ago but people were trying to understand where the problem was and I think the finger of blame got pointed in that direction, rightly or wrongly.
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

Azazello wrote: 2021-09-06 20:30
El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-09-06 18:37
Majik 109 plays deeper. 3677 is almost like two elements of a three way speaker; they seem to be designed to be used exclusively with the sub.

They do however have a lot of slam in the deep midrange, which is really nice!
This truly surprises me given their size. They must be good at what they do play.
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-07 15:13 It's the end result that matters and Exakt has come on a long way in the past 7+ years. I've heard some real hit and miss Exakt systems during that time. I think they can be really good now but, for me, it's usually via digitally sourced material. K350As just playing YouTube were great when I heard them earlier this year with the latest s/w - about time :D

There were plenty of negative forum comments about Linn's DVC a few years ago but people were trying to understand where the problem was and I think the finger of blame got pointed in that direction, rightly or wrongly.
I have a set of K320As in the children's playroom now. They are really good and plays surprisingly deep bass. As much as I love my Kan mkI they were not able to play loud enough to fill the 45 sqm room. The fact that the roof is 4m at one end and 2.4m at the other end probably doesn't help.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

A forgotten Linn speaker for sure. Don't think I ever heard them. Glad they are working for you. Would love to hear some clips if you ever get a chance.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

John wrote: 2021-09-07 13:48 My impression on this forum was that Linn using digital technology, with the likes of the Urika, in the analog chain was a bad thing. What changes when it’s done with this JBL speaker which I assume is taking the analog input and converting it to digital?
This forum has never been about any dogmatic belief in one electronic (or mechanical) technique vs. another. It has always been about what actually creates a more musical sound in your room and using the Tune-method as a reliable way to determine what will actually be more musical. Nobody has ever said digital is outright bad and many here use Linn streamers along with Linn analog sources or by themselves, as well as other streamers and/or DACs (though I expect some changes there soon). What is questioned is when something, whether digital or analog, doesn't work as well as it is supposed to. DVC compared to a good analog preamp is one good example as even the KDS/3 is more musical going through a KK or Sagatun than with the internal DVC, IMHO. Linn has managed to improve the DVC with each generation and I haven't heard the new Organik version, but when in comes to preamps I am still an analog guy. Seeing as I find neither Urika as musically satisfying as the Entity I think that is all that needs to be said.

What changes when it's done with these two JBL speakers? Well the obvious answer is just that it works. Note also that nobody is saying that it works with anything other than two specific JBL models, just as it was clearly stated a while back that the 3677 was the only JBL theater speaker worth investigating. As to why, especially considering that the internal electronics in the 308P are really cheap, that is a good question. One possible guess is that the digital conversion comes at the end of the system where it is low in the hierarchy. As Fredrik has mentioned that it is difficult to move a signal around in the digital domain without problems, whereas analog transferring is more robust (my paraphrase), it may be that there are fewer problems when converting at the speaker inputs.

Regardless it is all about what works musically and just as I had to admit that a horn loaded loudspeaker could be quite musical I have to admit that this digitally crossovered and amped speaker is quite good. Here I am talking about the 308P mk1 as, since we are coming out of the closet now, yes I do own a pair. I purchased them about a year ago, at which point you could still occasionally find a pair new on eBay and elsewhere. I did find them to be surprisingly musical although they certainly weren't musical enough to replace my Tundra Mono/Quad ESLs, which are still the most musical things I have heard. But I did feel they came closer than they had any right to do considering the cost (I paid right around $500 the pair) when mounted on proper stands. In my case I have a pair of original SARA stands which I consider to be pretty ideal. I have not compared the sound of the 308s on them vs Kan stands so I can't say for sure which is better. But the the SARA stands have a top plate which is pretty close to the ideal size for the bottom of the speaker and the hight is a little lower than a Kan stand, which seems to me to put the tweeter at a better level. They have ended up as computer speakers as I really just didn't have any other good place to use them. If anybody really wants them I still have the original boxes and packing and would be willing to sell them for what I paid from them plus shipping. The 708Ps do sound quite interesting but they are quite a bit more money. And honestly, I'm not particularly interested in any speaker to replace my Quads unless the brand starts with Lej. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
cortina

Post by cortina »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-07 19:01 And honestly, I'm not particularly interested in any speaker to replace my Quads unless the brand starts with Lej. ;-)
Does Le JBL count 🙂

It’s rather amazing how Sara and Kan stands keep standing the test of time and they often come in handy depending on speaker base area and height.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

cortina wrote: 2021-09-07 19:23
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-07 19:01 And honestly, I'm not particularly interested in any speaker to replace my Quads unless the brand starts with Lej. ;-)
Does Le JBL count 🙂

It’s rather amazing how Sara and Kan stands keep standing the test of time and they often come in handy depending on speaker base area and height.
:-)
Good design stands the test of time (no pun intended, surprisingly enough), as also indicated by my Quads and the numerous Isobariks still loved by their owners.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Having tried various heights for 308, which I find absolutely crucial to making them perform well, I can say that Sara stands are too low. This makes the 308 blurry and thick.

I find the optimal height is close to what the Kan stands provide and in some rooms with higher ceilings a couple of centimeters more.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Thomas, I might be interested in taking you up on your offer depending on shipping costs. I'm really intrigued by these.

One question: Connectivity. It appears these speakers accept either XLR or TRS only. Is there a consensus on the best method for hooking these up? Is the XLR preferred over TRS (or vice-versa)? Are RCA to XLR/TRS adaptors acceptable or is it recommended to solder the appropriate connector directly to the cables of choice?
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Given that the 708p and 708i models seem to differ only by the i model being driven by the user's own amplification has anyone tested a set of 708i with a Linn, Naim or Lejonklou amplifier?

https://jblpro.com/products/708i
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.