We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tuning Mats

Post by Arjen »

David Neel wrote: 2022-01-08 16:30
Arjen wrote: 2022-01-08 15:07 Thank you Fredrik for again sharing your experiences. But still I’m kinda amazed that in the opinion of many on the forum there is on the one side so much (successfully) to improve on an already very expensive basic Linn LP 12 (see LP12 product history item and retail pricelists from more than 4000 E to over 20.000 E), affordable for only the happy audio few) and on the other side very hard to improve with mats, affordable for more than only the happy audio few. In the opinion of PetReinders (TPT TT)the Levin Design Solingen ( though not a cheap mat) brings more refinement in the performance, which is. Also the verdict of Paul Rigby reviewing the Eclipse of Hexmat. But both for 275 E to expensive just to gamble….
Maybe it's telling that Linn themselves haven't come up with a better musical solution that the felt mat? With Stheir upgrade paths and dealer network for the LP12 it would surely be a good seller? I once had a third party mat, but later reverted to the Linn mat because it was more musical. The word you use above is "refinement" - well, I find Qobuz far more refined, but I listen to Spotify because it's way more musical.
I’m happy with all your comments, like those of Fredrik and yours David. So hoping for more to get the best arguments for a good musical mat decision. My search is like most of you on the forum, to improve the musically performance of my system. And where you guys follow the path of the LP12 upgrades spending thousands of dollars, euros, ponds, I try to improve by another for me affordable path, Lenco refurb, slipsik, a cabe, upgrade, and hopefully a mat upgrade too. If there is any left beyond the Rega felt. Some reviewers say there are, like Paul Rigby (The Audiophile Man). What is the sense of developing new mats and reviewing them if the best products are already made and the last word already said?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Any other reviews friends of other than Felt mats?
Instead of a new mat I did some damping of the metal base of the Lenco, following LencoHeaven examples. And the inner ring of the platter as well, both with bitumen. The result is surprising, the music delivered in a way that I more than ever experience the involvement of the musicians individually, their playing as well the combo as a integrated whole and me myself more connected with them.
So, is the conclusion justified that a very well damped Turntable source doesn’t need any mat, whatever material, design and construction, except for protection the delicate vinyl.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

During the summer, I purchased the "Rush A Farewell to Kings" four album box set. And in addition to the albums, it came with a new record mat with a cool looking image printed on the top side. It does seem like a felt mat, but it's actually made from synthetic fibers. Also, there's some type of coating (either ink or paint) on the top side surface. Plus, the Rush mat is more firm and thicker than a Linn felt mat (see second image link below).

Needless to say, I decided to compare it with the Linn felt mat. We listened to both mats using the same song "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. As might have been predicted, the Rush record mat seemed more subdued and less lively than the Linn mat.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51u ... SX425_.jpg

https://dvfnvgxhycwzf.cloudfront.net/me ... e2843ed6eb
Tony Tune-age
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-01-11 19:02 During the summer, I purchased the "Rush A Farewell to Kings" four album box set. And in addition to the albums, it came with a new record mat with a cool looking image printed on the top side. It does seem like a felt mat, but it's actually made from synthetic fibers. Also, there's some type of coating (either ink or paint) on the top side surface. Plus, the Rush mat is more firm and thicker than a Linn felt mat (see second image link below).

Needless to say, I decided to compare it with the Linn felt mat. We listened to both mats using the same song "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. As might have been predicted, the Rush record mat seemed more subdued and less lively than the Linn mat.

The mat you got for free seems to me a fancy mat, not intended to be used as a serious alternative.
If a mat can worsen the music deliverance, than there might be mats which can improve the deliverance by damping undesirable noise I suppose. Unless maybe the turntable has been rid of any mechanical background. noise. Am I right?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Arjen wrote: 2022-01-11 21:48
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-01-11 19:02 During the summer, I purchased the "Rush A Farewell to Kings" four album box set. And in addition to the albums, it came with a new record mat with a cool looking image printed on the top side. It does seem like a felt mat, but it's actually made from synthetic fibers. Also, there's some type of coating (either ink or paint) on the top side surface. Plus, the Rush mat is more firm and thicker than a Linn felt mat (see second image link below).

The mat you got for free seems to me a fancy mat, not intended to be used as a serious alternative.
If a mat can worsen the music deliverance, than there might be mats which can improve the deliverance by damping undesirable noise I suppose. Unless maybe the turntable has been rid of any mechanical background. noise. Am I right?
I figured the Rush record mat was for looking cool, and not for performance improvement. But it was worth trying anyway to be sure. In fact, I'm sure there might be a record mat that can improve deliverance...but I haven't heard any yet.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Here's a couple of links regarding aftermarket turntable mats, including some felt mats. Not sure if any of them would sound good on an Lp12, but there's plenty of them for sale.

https://sonoboom.com/best-turntable-mats/

https://www.amazon.com/turntable-felt-m ... e+felt+mat
Tony Tune-age
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

image.jpg
Now playing Abbey Road on a Platter Mat I bought just two days ago from the developer Les Thompson himself in North Shield (Newcastle), next to the ferry to Holland. A demo for a reduced price. The platter mat placed upon the aloy zinc Lenco L76/S platter. The Soundeck says it removes source vibration effectively by its constraint layer technique.(high tech alu -skin bonded with polymer).
Soundeck nowadays produce them 4mm, I got a left over demo sample 2.2 mm (on wich I’ve put a thin leather mat for some smoothness). Result a better reproduction of what the vinyl grooves intend. It delivers more music, in detail of the body of the instruments, voices, in placing them, improve the sound gives more natural body, without coloring, more crystal clear and focus. Lively and Tuneful what this mat delivers. Abslutely a subtle but convincing musical improvement over my leather/felt sandwich (which wasn’t too bad though).
PS. Did TuneDem on the position the mats and my impression is that most tuneful and involving is putting the thin Tonar leather mat between the platter and the Soundeck PM, not to say that voices better are to follow (first time I really can follow what Lucinda Williams is singing in her passionate kwnawing american accent).
PS. Psssss…. I’d say that this setup Nagaoka Lenco 76S / Soundeck PM/MP300/Slipsik 7.1 might beat (m)any MC/Entity combi. Don’t know whether the (good, for the money somewhat overrated?) LP12 can improve on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Another improvement, thanks to Rick Becker, who has them under his LP12.: the 3mm Soundeck feet placed as a sandwich between wooden blocks under the plinth chassis of the TT and the chassis itself. Huge difference, getting rid of some edginess left, leaving me with more even more music, more sound and more listening pleasure.
The Soundeck PM doesn’t need felt or leather for softening the harshness for now.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Arjen wrote: 2022-05-17 16:42 Another improvement, thanks to Rick Becker, who has them under his LP12.: the 3mm Soundeck feet placed as a sandwich between wooden blocks under the plinth chassis of the TT and the chassis itself. Huge difference, getting rid of some edginess left, leaving me with more even more music, more sound and more listening pleasure.
The Soundeck PM doesn’t need felt or leather for softening the harshness for now.
The above lines were first impressions after Rick Beckers advising. But after a while I experienced some ear fatigue. So had a chat with Rick again. Yes, he said, transparency and resolution might be too increased, which after a while turns out becoming a little painful. So now I decided to leave three damping sandwiches feet out of the TT, left just double one in front. And not wasting the other two Soundeck damping feet, those two I put under the wee sub slate shelf for damping, where upon I put the Slipsik phono. Result is longer listening with same musical improvement but without wearing out my ears. Tweaking, trial and error but definitely chances for sound improvement not at a too high cost (only now and then for the sensitive human ear devices if you’re not careful enough)
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

image.jpg
A new experience with Soundeck, Platter Mat, 4 mm. My older 2.5 mm Soundeck performs already very good, this new one performs even better. Intersubject A/B tunedem listening with an audio friend resulted in even more secure, more definition, more air and depth, broader soundstage, more fluency then the thinner one. More magic, more music. What a well made platter mat can do, one of my best upgrades. Check this friends, I can highly recommend them, as their damping feet and puck (the three together a audioholy trinity). Might be a useful tweak for LP12 as well, far beyond the regular Linn or Rega felt mat. Well done Les Thompson of Soundeck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

image.jpg
Personalized Platter Mat made by Leslie Thompson from Soundeck as a gift for a new order.
Soundeck PM, An unsurpassed product on your TT. BTW if you are interested to get one customized yourself, for example with the logo of your favorite band or footballclub, just send me a PM.
End of the year 2023, read by 19.000 already, I ask myself how many ordered this excellent Soundeck Platter Mat and then, let us know your experiences with the mat.