We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Damping Feet

Post by Spannko »

Ronald

What happened to the arm which out performs an Ekos SE?

PS. Your highlights are blown out.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Corrections

Post by Ron The Mon »

Spannko wrote: 2021-08-04 12:30 Ronald
It’s actually Ronaldo; or Dr. Ron to you.
What happened to the arm which out performs an Ekos SE?
Your last several posts directed at me greatly exaggerate statements I’ve made; are you trying to get a rise out of me or have a poor memory of what I’ve written?

The tonearm on my LP12 outperforms a Linn LV-X or Basik+, (and original Akito) yet costs little more. I doubt it’s to Ittok level; let alone an Ekos. For this mystery tonearm to work on an LP12, it needs modifying. I will share comparison clips at a later date, as well as how to modify it.

I haven’t listened to vinyl in over a month but the last time I did, I had forgotten how good my LP12 sounds.
PS. Your highlights are blown out.
Are you writing about the high lights on my boat? They are always turned off when it’s docked.

Back to damping and best types of hi-fi supports:
Yesterday I was out in a small boat with a friend just wandering through our harbor, when someone started playing Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. It sounded really good and was playing really loud; I heard it clearly 20 boats away.

I am very familiar with that record, so as we got closer and started hearing more songs, I had to know what kind of hi-fi he had on board. He let me take a look at his system but It was custom with no brand name.

Back in the day, most boat hi-fis were simply a 12V car stereo system. Many were just FM radio, though some had cassette decks, and later, most had CD players. My boat came stock with a Jensen CD system and sounded awful; even running Spotify into the “aux” input.

This guy had Spotify playing through a dedicated streaming system built into his yacht, and it sounded fantastic. I believe I am onto something with Fiberglass supports floating in water; damping and isolation.

Ron The Mon
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

If it’s not as good as an ittok, why bother? Anything less than an ittok isn’t good enough.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Arjen wrote: 2021-07-11 16:13 I’m suprised by the amount of readers. But only one or two shares their own experiences. Again, I’m very interested in your opinion, dear reader.
First of all, thank you Arjen for pointing us Tord fans to Yuri, whom I just added to my shopping list.
Back to damping feet, shelves, etc. - before it's summer again.

I still own a heavy steel & glas rack from my innocent days prior to learning about the tune method. It now hosts the printer in my "office", but I can't report that it prints more tuneful.
My LP12 sits on a wall shelf. It used to sport a Trampolin, which was replaced by the Urika setting. This contains feet with defined damping AFAIK.

A year ago I tried highly acclaimed damping feet under my speakers. They had a clear sonic impact, but in the end I think this was more sound than musicality. This may critically depend on the floor construction? My floor is concrete which is covered by parquet (oak sticks glued to one another). Other floor constructions may react in a different way.

As far a the electronics is concerned I need to confess, that it still resides on an Ikea rack made of solid (pine?) wood. There is definitely room for improvement, but the Lady who owns this living room is asking for change, but so far didn't approve any of my suggestions. All I can say is, that Linn gear apparently prefers the light Ikea wood over the heavy metal & glass rack. I'm shy to attribute this to the public notion that Scots are stingy - something I can't underwrite from my personal experiences, anyway.

My dealer (who also sells Lejonklou gearl) is using TimeTable racks in his shop, Usually, one can trust his ears. The a. m. female member of this household does not like the TimeTables visually, though, but opts for Clic. She can surely tell what's more musical, but does not care at all - as "live music is better and cheaper than HiFi", anyway ;-)
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-08-04 15:07 Yesterday I was out in a small boat with a friend just wandering through our harbor, when someone started playing Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. It sounded really good and was playing really loud; I heard it clearly 20 boats away.
This gives me a strong deja vu, reminding me of my university years, and the return from a fisheries reseach cruise to the Grand Banks aboard German RV Anton Dohrn. We docked directly at the shipyard in Bremerhaven with a broken main diesel engine at around 4 am, playing Wish You Where Here from a cassette player at full volume. Are you sure what you saw and heard wasn't a ghost ship?

Back to stomping err damping feet!
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038