Is that a Linn felt mat on Naims new turntable!?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Is that a Linn felt mat on Naims new turntable!?

Post by ThomasOK »

Just an additional note or two. The power supply and phono stage are designed and built by Naim. The arm and cartridge are both also built by Clearaudio. They and the turntable use designs from Naim and all three are indeed quite different from anything in the Clearaudio line.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I had the chance to attend the German premiere showing of the new Naim Solstice last saturday. Naim had planned a tour through Germany, but this was thwarted due to the Solstice being stuck in German customs for two weeks :-(

It was demoed on Naim amps and Focal speakers (the experts can probably identify them. It was clear from the start, that this is indeed a very good turntable. Dynamic, musical and you just wanted to hear lp after lp. No comparisons were made, but instinctively I must say, that if I didn't have an LP12, I would be very tempted. Looks are also very impressive, yet not too much bling bling.
The Naim representative has an LP12 with Karousel, Radikal, Aro and Kandid at home and he felt that the Naim was clearly better. He ordered one for himself... 100 of the 500 units were sold to German dealers, but all haven't yet been sold to final customers, so there's still a chance, if you are tempted.
Here are a couple of pics:
IMG_9783.jpg
IMG_9784.jpg
IMG_9785.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

And here's the cartridge:
IMG_9786.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Tendaberry,
Thank you for shearing photos and your listening experience ...
Music First ...
Vlado
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

+1 thank you Tendaberry!
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, thanks tendaberry

Bit surprised as I was half expecting it to be musical but not all that musical, if you know what I mean.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-08-25 18:11 Yes, thanks tendaberry

Bit surprised as I was half expecting it to be musical but not all that musical, if you know what I mean.
Well, the proof is only there after you have compared a top LP12 with the Solstice, which unfortunately I didn't have the chance to do. The Naim rep mentioned one comparison (at his home), where the LP12 played the bass notes like bum-bum-bum-bum, whereas the Solstice played the bass with a melody. It could also be up to his original Aro arm on the LP12, of course...
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Agreed, I just didn't think it would really be a contender, although I suppose that still remains to be seen cos, as you say, it might not be an all LInn LP12.
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-08-26 09:50 The Naim rep mentioned one comparison (at his home), where the LP12 played the bass notes like bum-bum-bum-bum, whereas the Solstice played the bass with a melody.
Well, he wouldn't be "The Naim Rep" for long if he's said he'd preferred the Linn!!!
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

In a way, I can understand the Naim Rep's statement. However, not in relation to the entire system (turntable), but Aro against EKOSII. About 15 years ago I had two identical LP12s, both with Naim Prefix and Norton Powersupply. At that time the Karma, Troika and Arkiv were available. And it was precisely the bass that the Ekos reproduced much more musically. The Aro had to go. In this respect, I think Naim will have worked up this area. My Ekos was exchanged for the /SE not too long ago. Should Naim have managed to come close to the EKOS/SE musically? Who knows...

But about the Solstice. I have often been able to listen to so-called mass record players. Not one of them appealed to me, neither musically nor visually, regardless of the price. In this respect, I have no realy interest in the Naim player.

Nice images Tendaberry, thanks. Did you know why they dont use Fraim Racks?
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

There was no talk about the rack whatsoever and I forgot to ask. This looks like a Creaktiv Trend 3-2, i.e. not a very pricey one. So there's definitely still room for improvement :-)