Is that a Linn felt mat on Naims new turntable!?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Is that a Linn felt mat on Naims new turntable!?

Post by Lego »

I know that tune
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Is that a Linn felt mat on Naims new turntable!?

Post by V.A.MKD »

Maybe, can be also Rega mat ... Thomas know a lot about Linn and Rega mats ... maybe he can help ...
Music First ...
Vlado
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

You mean is that a Linn felt mat on a Clearaudio turntable?
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I believe it’s possibly a Naim mat on the Naim turntable. I could be wrong though, it wouldn’t be the first time.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just posted this on the Linn forum.

I'm surprised at the lack of comments on the design here. Let's see: a turntable with a suspended sub chassis, an aluminum platter (though quite BIG) and thin felt mat driven by a DC motor (admittedly brushless) controlled by an optical sensor, a power supply that drives both the turntable and the phono stage, a phono stage with both MC and MM sections and a bunch of settings for resistance and capacitance for the MC section, a low output moving coil cartridge with a body machined from solid aluminum, with a three point mount, a boron cantilever and a fine-line diamond. Oh yeah, and it happens to sell for about the same as a full Klimax LP12.

At least Naim knew who to borrow from!

But, hey, it does use wooden springs, so that is different!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 17:06 I'm surprised at the lack of comments on the design here. Let's see: a turntable with a suspended sub chassis, an aluminum platter (though quite BIG) and thin felt mat driven by a DC motor (admittedly brushless) controlled by an optical sensor, a power supply that drives both the turntable and the phono stage, a phono stage with both MC and MM sections and a bunch of settings for resistance and capacitance for the MC section, a low output moving coil cartridge with a body machined from solid aluminum, with a three point mount, a boron cantilever and a fine-line diamond. Oh yeah, and it happens to sell for about the same as a full Klimax LP12.

At least Naim knew who to borrow from! But, hey, it does use wooden springs, so that is different!
I'm just now reading about the Naim turntable (I'm surprised at the lack of comments also). But maybe Naim felt compelled to produce an analog source, in order to remain competitive with Lejonklou and Linn. However, the only real question I have is...does it sound better than a SondekLP12?

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Is that a Linn felt mat or are you just pleased to see me?

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 17:06 I'm surprised at the lack of comments on the design here.
I've been following it a bit on the PFM and Naim forums.

Still curious why the platter needs to be so high - is that something to do with the magnetic bearing do you think?

Can't say I'm overly hopeful it's a deck I'd enjoy listening to but I'm keeping an open mind and would be nice to hear it one day
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't think the magnetic bearing requires the big platter but the big platter almost certainly requires the magnetic bearing so as not to drill a hole in the bearing thrust plate.

Naim appears to like high mass. The turntable weighs in at 56 lbs.
The LP12 Whisperer
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 22:03 I don't think the magnetic bearing requires the big platter but the big platter almost certainly requires the magnetic bearing so as not to drill a hole in the bearing thrust plate.

So does that mean the NOKTable wouldn't be a good match for that type of deck?
Tony Tune-age
FJH

Post by FJH »

Why is it necessary to make negative comments about naim´s turntable. I would then hope it plays at the same level as an LP12. Then we can just enjoy that there is another top turntable.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

FJH wrote: 2021-06-22 22:12 Why is it necessary to make negative comments about naim´s turntable. I would then hope it plays at the same level as an LP12. Then we can just enjoy that there is another top turntable.
That's true, it is nice that there is another turntable. But who's making negative comments? And what are the negative comments?

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

FJH wrote: 2021-06-22 22:12 I would then hope it plays at the same level as an LP12. Then we can just enjoy that there is another top turntable.
Yes, definitely.
It will be great to have 1+ TT that is musical as LP12 or better ... or with other words, to be the same school / sound as Lejonklou, Linn, Naim ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-22 22:12
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 22:03 I don't think the magnetic bearing requires the big platter but the big platter almost certainly requires the magnetic bearing so as not to drill a hole in the bearing thrust plate.

Yes Tony, excellent question!

So Huston have to test it, "torque it" and than ...

And if everything is OK, how it will sound with SINGularity and ...
Music First ...
Vlado
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Is that a Linn felt mat or are you just pleased to see me?

Post by sunbeamgls »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-22 21:57
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 17:06 I'm surprised at the lack of comments on the design here.

Still curious why the platter needs to be so high - is that something to do with the magnetic bearing do you think?

Can't say I'm overly hopeful it's a deck I'd enjoy listening to but I'm keeping an open mind and would be nice to hear it one day
Clearaudio's Ovation has that bearing but doesn't have a particularly deep platter.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-22 22:16
FJH wrote: 2021-06-22 22:12 Why is it necessary to make negative comments about naim´s turntable. I would then hope it plays at the same level as an LP12. Then we can just enjoy that there is another top turntable.
That's true, it is nice that there is another turntable. But who's making negative comments? And what are the negative comments?

Cheers
I sense it too, many of us do for some time, FJH is not the only one. It wafts in the atmosphere here when discussions about turntables other than LP12's arise, usually the comments are more like word salad implications from folks with forum implied influence and self-serving motivations.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

tpetsch wrote: 2021-06-23 19:30
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-22 22:16
I sense it too, many of us do for some time, FJH is not the only one. It wafts in the atmosphere here when discussions about turntables other than LP12's arise, usually the comments are more like word salad implications from folks with forum implied influence and self-serving motivations.
I'm not sure what "sensing negativity" is suppose to mean, but nobody said anything negative about the new Naim turntable. However, there were questions regarding design, parts, price, sound and weight. Perhaps these questions shouldn't be asked, especially if they are considered a self-serving motive.

Other than all that, I'm definitely curious to know how the Naim deck sounds. Because if it does sound better than the LP12, it could be an alternative worth considering.
Tony Tune-age
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Sorry guys, I’ve got to agree. Although not every post about the Naim turntable is negative, there’s still an underlying negativity towards a turntable no one has seen in the flesh, let alone heard. It smacks of fanboyism; something this forum has tried to avoid. A product stands on its merits, nothing else. If the new Naim turntable is better than a similarly priced LP12, so be it. The bar will have been raised, which can only be a good thing.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-06-23 09:44
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-22 22:12

Yes Tony, excellent question!

So Huston have to test it, "torque it" and than ...

And if everything is OK, how it will sound with SINGularity and ...
Agreed...100%
Tony Tune-age
lindsayt

Re: Is that a Linn felt mat or are you just pleased to see me?

Post by lindsayt »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-22 21:57

And I'm not overly hopeful it's a deck I'd enjoy paying for...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-23 20:06 A product stands on its merits, nothing else. If the new Naim turntable is better than a similarly priced LP12, so be it. The bar will have been raised, which can only be a good thing.
I fully agree. It is interesting to see a turntable from another Flat Earth company and they obviously spent some time and energy on making it the way they want it. If it is competitive with the LP12 that will just give Linn more incentive to improve it (although they seem to be doing that fairly regularly themselves). We are not a Naim dealer but I am friends with a couple dealers who do both Linn and Naim and hope to hear what the Solstice is all about. I'd certainly be more than willing to fine tune one whenever one comes my way.
The LP12 Whisperer
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-23 23:40
Spannko wrote: 2021-06-23 20:06 A product stands on its merits, nothing else. If the new Naim turntable is better than a similarly priced LP12, so be it. The bar will have been raised, which can only be a good thing.
I fully agree. It is interesting to see a turntable from another Flat Earth company and they obviously spent some time and energy on making it the way they want it. If it is competitive with the LP12 that will just give Linn more incentive to improve it (although they seem to be doing that fairly regularly themselves). We are not a Naim dealer but I am friends with a couple dealers who do both Linn and Naim and hope to hear what the Solstice is all about. I'd certainly be more than willing to fine tune one whenever one comes my way.
Interesting issue will be as well ... compatibility of Linn & Naim cartridges in Linn Ekos SE (or ... ) & Naim Aro 2 three point geometry ...
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-06-24 10:38 Interesting issue will be as well ... compatibility of Linn & Naim cartridges in Linn Ekos SE (or ... ) & Naim Aro 2 three point geometry ...
I would be very surprised if the stylus to mounting holes distance of the new Naim cartridge was not the same as the Kandid, Krystal, Akiva, Arkiv and Troika. Since the original arm was specifically designed for the Troika, why would you come out with a new three point mount cartridge and not make it compatible with the original ARO and the Ekos arms. It just doesn't seem a likely design choice.
The LP12 Whisperer
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-24 16:33
V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-06-24 10:38 Interesting issue will be as well ... compatibility of Linn & Naim cartridges in Linn Ekos SE (or ... ) & Naim Aro 2 three point geometry ...
I would be very surprised if the stylus to mounting holes distance of the new Naim cartridge was not the same as the Kandid, Krystal, Akiva, Arkiv and Troika. Since the original arm was specifically designed for the Troika, why would you come out with a new three point mount cartridge and not make it compatible with the original ARO and the Ekos arms. It just doesn't seem a likely design choice.
Yes, you are right Thomas, only touching point is old Aro, produced in period when they don't have TT and cartridge, but today they have everything, so, who knows, maybe it will be different in direction to sell their 3 point, Din and so on system ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

When Fredrik has done all his upgrades on his gear, why not developing a very basic but superb built high end performing turntable himself?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

A few updates regarding the new Naim turntable, it's called the Solstice and is priced at $20,000.00 (U.S. dollars). Apparently there will only be 500 decks available world wide, and the recommendation is to order in advance. It comes in a complete package with an MC cartridge, power supply and phono preamplifier. The deck is engineered by Clearaudio but has Naim specifications, and comes with the Naim ARO tonearm.
Tony Tune-age