Next step

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

donTomaso

Next step

Post by donTomaso »

Hi
I have been away for a long time from this forum but have recently started to listen more to music and reading up on different subjects on this excellent forum.

Most of my serious listening is on vinyl but I have Spotify and a NAS with 1 TB of Flac having owned. Majik DS, the NAS is in storage right now . I do love the opportunity to have lots of music available. This was abandon due to all the hassle and the fact that I sold my Majik DS 😊

My system is unbalanced right now. A Rega P3 + Apple TV gen 2 into Exotik + DA, LK 140 K20, Espek. I really like my Espeks and would like to keep them. I already have K600 ( triwired) not used because of bfa on the LK 140 . I might be crazy but Spotify into my Exotik via Apple TV is good enough for me for casual listening. But I have heard better of course.

The Rega P3 have an Elys 2 MM PU

I have (at least) four paths:

1. Exakt Akurate system hub + Akurate Exaktbox-I 8 Channels Katalyst ( new)

2. Akurate DSM Katalyst + Klimax Twin both used

3. Buy LP 12 + keeping Exotik + buy used Klimax Twin staying with Apple TV

4. Do nothing buy records maybe get a Majik 2100 to get use of my K600 and get rid of my LK 140

5. Something else

What should I go for? I want a hassle free experience and do not have “golden ears” but use tune method and understand source first but not using it due to lack of funds and interest up until now that is 😊

For information I can add that I only have like 80 vinyls right now, sold the collection some years ago an started all over recenly. If I go for vinyl I will cherry pick vey carefully and stay below 500 LPs

Regards Tomas
Last edited by donTomaso on 2021-05-31 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Next step

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Tomas!

5. Källa
donTomaso

Post by donTomaso »

Hi Fredrik,

Yes Källa is definitely interesting and if within budget I Will consider one.

Regards Tomas
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

If you are serious with vinyl start with - Majik Lp12 ( from a dealer who is good at setting up ) with Gaio/ Slipsik

If you are serious with streaming , many options depending on budget, but if Kalla will be in budget , worth waiting to audition it. Definitely Worth optimising digital system with recommended switch, cables - you are already using Spotify which is really good at the moment.

Many on the forum prefer analogue preamp , single wire passive and use silver interconnects with K200 speaker cable ( cut to 2.48m if possible)

Good luck.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
donTomaso

Post by donTomaso »

Thanks u252agz,

If I go for Vinyl I will probably keep my Exotik. I think the MM input is good enough for at least a Majik LP12 and I want to limit the number of boxes and spend as much of the budget on the source as possible. Lejonklous products seems very nice but I must confess that I have not yet auditioned any of them. Before buying anything I will certainly try to listen to Slipsik, Gaio, Boazu and Tundra stereo and of course Källa.

If I go for streaming I will not optimize the network part just use what I already have (somewhat based on recommendations on this forum) and try to be happy with that.
Regards Tomas
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Hi Tomas

MM input on Exotic is quite good - I had an AK/1 which was also had a MM good input.

But even a Gaio is a big step up in musicality ( I regard it as part of the turntable) and the small box is easy to hide, and great value new or second hand.

A Majik LP12 is a fantastic piece of kit and in my opinion really benefits from as good a MM phonostage as possible.

I have used Majik LP12 with AK/1, Gaio and now Slipsik ( version 6 and 7) , and each phonostage upgrade makes you realise how good the Majik LP12 really is.

Good Luck on your Hi Fi journey .
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s