We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Netgear N300 VS EE brightbox Help needed

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-05-08 23:12
Lego wrote: 2021-05-08 17:22 EE Bright box 1 is Shampoo Corbett and Perky .

.. I have been using the old Netgear with ddwrt software installed to setup my hifi network.

Trying the BB1 locally last week it sounded quite rough around the edges compared to Netgear but was more engaging...

I wonder whats influencing the sound/musicality
Any reason you're using ddwrt firmware? I literally just reverted from K26 Tomato to the last Netgear firmware for my old N300 router to see if a simple, separate hifi network might sound better than a shared home network. Figured I'd start with 'oem' firmware to avoid any 'outside' influences...

Looks like I preferred the BB1 down the line, though, so maybe I shouldn't bother with the old Netgear router :/
It's just comparative clips which don't make the Netgear sound broken and some here preferred Netgear.Id go ahead and try it.
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Lego wrote: 2021-05-10 11:14 .. some here preferred Netgear.Id go ahead and try it.
I plan to try some changes to my network and relieve the whole house router of its music responsibilities. Once setup, hopefully, it should be straightforward to swap the Netgear in/out to compare different dedicated music routers...
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I use a wireless bridge to get data to our Sneaky DS. Is that like the worst thing imaginable for streaming or not much worse than the ideal? Just curious.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-10 15:39 I use a wireless bridge to get data to our Sneaky DS. Is that like the worst thing imaginable for streaming or not much worse than the ideal? Just curious.
Ron's findings, with his kitchen system fed by an Airport Express as a repeater, seem to indicate that it's not the worst thing...
Do you enjoy the music from your Sneaky? If so then it's ideal.
Do you have any other options? If not then it's the best thing.
If you have other options, try them & let us know ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-05-10 15:59 Ron's findings, with his kitchen system fed by an Airport Express as a repeater, seem to indicate that it's not the worst thing...
Do you enjoy the music from your Sneaky? If so then it's ideal.
Do you have any other options? If not then it's the best thing.
If you have other options, try them & let us know ;)
Thanks tokenbrit.

We all enjoy the system. Simple and great VFM with a pair of Katans.

I could try to run an RJ-45 cable but it would look a mess and my wife would not be happy.

We used Ethernet-over-mains in the past (for the TV only) and it seemed to mess with the HiFi so I prefer to avoid that option.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-05-10 15:20
Lego wrote: 2021-05-10 11:14 .. some here preferred Netgear.Id go ahead and try it.
I plan to try some changes to my network and relieve the whole house router of its music responsibilities. Once setup, hopefully, it should be straightforward to swap the Netgear in/out to compare different dedicated music routers...
It's very straightforward only thing that changes obviously is the ip addresses.I found another BB router in my shop over the weekend,if I find the plug and you fancy trying it ,give me a shout
I know that tune
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I didn’t know that you’d got a shop Lego, what do you sell?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Spannko wrote: 2021-05-10 20:36 I didn’t know that you’d got a shop Lego, what do you sell?
Haircuts 😁
I know that tune