Unequal lengths of RCA OR Speaker Cable, Left & Right? Advice..

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Chet

Unequal lengths of RCA OR Speaker Cable, Left & Right? Advice..

Post by Chet »

Does anyone have any experience on the below 2 scenerios - similar or same issues I would think. I know the answer seems obvious - of course have the same length cable...but...

1) AV processor connecting to 2 subs . The processor (pre-amp) is in 1 corner of the room. Length required to Sub 1 is 4m & to sub 2 is 8m.
That means RCA phono cable to Sub 1 will have a lot more cable coiled or bunched up than the cable that is connecting to Sub 2. Does this matter? which is preferable - both have same length cable of 8m (I assume timing would be better but I do not know without trying whether I would hear any difference). Both AV processors & Subs are of good quality to notice differences.

2) Klimax twin Amp connecting to speakers (assume Keltiks or 350s if it matters). HiFi rack to one side, so 1.5m of K400 would do to left speaker, & 3.5m of K400 to connect to right speaker. K400 is a thick enough snake, so having 3.5m of it coiled near the left speaker when I am aktiv (ely) driving a 4 way speaker results in a lot of coiling and different frequency carrying K400 sitting on top of each other.

I am making the cables so before I cut...
Cheers.
LP12 > CD12 > KK1 > Twins >350's Activ
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Unequal lengths of RCA OR Speaker Cable, Left & Right? Advice..

Post by u252agz »

For speaker cables - have a look at the ' which is the optimal length of speaker cable ' thread.

My understanding is that length seems to make quite a difference to the timing and the optimal is around 2.48 metres; longer sounding laid back and shorter more restless.

I suspect unequal lengths of 1.5m and 3.5m will sound quite odd - maybe try two 3.5m cables vs 1.5/3.5m on your system with a cheap pair of speaker cables first?
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Chet

Post by Chet »

Thanks for your thoughts. I did have a read of 'optimal length of speaker cable ' thread first, but didn't think it helped on the particular issue I have noted. If I could have all cables at 2.48m it would make life simpler :)

Anyone have any other thoughts? or experience?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Chet,
I'm not for different lengths for L&R on Sp or In cables ... In my system never do it, beside the issue that I have in the past as you have ...
But, HiFi friends do it in systems and the result was not at all good ... so ...
Music First ...
Vlado
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Chet, is your question as in the subject line - which cables are less troublesome when their lengths are unequal?

If so, the answer is easy: Always keep the speaker cables of equal lengths. They are much more sensitive to length than interconnects. I'd say ten times at least.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Hi Frederik,
No & sorry if my subject is confusing. I am asking really how important it is that

a) an interconnect is equal length - considering 4m will be coiled up on the left channel compared to the right channel if I make them equal of 8m

I am then asking the same question about speaker cable

B) a speaker cable K400 is equal length , left 1.5m & right 3.5m or make them both 3.5m, considering left channel will have 2m coiled up x4 (as aktic system)
Chet

Post by Chet »

Frederik, really you have answered the question about speaker cable.

Really the only question is 'is 8m equal length interconnect left & right with 4m of the right 8m just coiled up, better than 8m right & 4m length interconnect" ?

Cheers.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, definitely keep the speaker lengths equal. And never as short as 1.5 m.

I would personally make two 8 m lengths of interconnects, but I don't think it's a night and day difference compared to one 4 m and one 8 m. I haven't compared this in stereo in a very long time, last time I compared it was with one channel only and 10 m of unbalanced interconnect feels a little tame in comparison with 1 m. It's sounds like it's slightly filtered.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Thanks for the advice.
I will make equal length 8m interconnects.

Speaker cable not too short either. Got it.

As an aside I would love to know (scientifically) why short speaker cable sounds worse. Logically I would think shorter cables means less signal degradation opportunity. Just curious, not disputing that 2.48m is optimum.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't know if anybody has a real scientific explanation for why it sounds better at a certain length. There are theories having to do with capacitance, inductance, etc. but I haven't seen anything that says this amount is better than that amount, etc. But there are other people who talk about optimum lengths. Nordost says that with their speaker cables the optimum is just a bit over 4 meters and it is slightly different with each cable design. They claim it has to do with mechanical resonances rather than electrical characteristics. If you buy a 4 meter cable from them they will trim it to the exact best length. If you buy a 2 meter one they will trim it to exactly half that length. Who knows?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Naim audio used to recommend equal & minimum speaker cable lengths of 3.5 meters of NACA4/5 for all their chrome & Olive bumper amps. Naim claimed that there amps were designed with this minimum cable load in mind and was an important part of the whole system working properly. ...These days I'm not sure what they recommend.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Quite an unfathomable area!
I think a lot of things like this only come from trying it and seeing what sounds best.