QNAP NAS MALWARE ATTACK

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Naimless

QNAP NAS MALWARE ATTACK

Post by Naimless »

Any QNAP users on here are advised to check their files. See this link for more info:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... p-devices/

Unfortunately for me, I have a lot of affected (or should that be infected) files. Fortunately I have a back up but this calls QNAP products into questions on its security.
Catweazle

Re: QNAP NAS MALWARE ATTACK

Post by Catweazle »

Thx for the heads-up, first of all!

I don't want to sound rude, but I disagree with the statement, that "this puts QNAP systems into question". I'm not affiliated with QNAP in any way, and don't even use any of their products. But let's stay fair: Shit happens! 35 yrs in the IT/software business have taught me, that each and every brand is vulnerable to attacks and security issues. Operating systems, and sizeable software applications have reached a level of complexity, that cannot be covered by testing. And even a small riff can cause a big leakage, as every sailor should know.

Thus, it's up to us, in the role of the home systems' administrators, to apply proper security measures, watch out for security patches, and have a backup strategy.

Conventinal wisdom says, that not the systems of brand abc are insecure, but those ones, which are neglected. Any IT system is intrinsically vulnerable, unless you switch power off. To those here, who are interested in a good read on the issues of cyber security / attacks I can recommend Kim Zetter's book "Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon"
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038