Jelco vs. Ittok

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Linntek

Jelco vs. Ittok

Post by Linntek »

Does anyone have any experience on Jelco arm's on a LP12.
My Akito 1 is up for retirement. It is 20 years old and bearings are gone.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Exactly how are the bearings "gone"?

Virtually all old Akitos have damage due to the pillar being too soft and therefore deforming with each installation. But the friction normally affects the horisontal movement just outside the playing area of an LP, so the arm can still sound good.

Are the other bearing worn as well (for vertical movement)?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have actually seen and replaced several Akito 1s that had horizontal bearings that had very high friction, and even sticking at a couple of spots within the groove area. Two of them had excess friction in the vertical bearings as well.

Considering the number I have seen with bad bearings vs. the number I've seen with good ones I feel the Akito 1 is really Linn's worst tonearm design - the original Basik LV-Xs hold up much better. The Akito II is a far better animal.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

They are sticky about 2/3 into the record. I have performed a swing test but that proved to be imposible, about 2-3 swings !!!
I guess Linn say 15 swings.
The paper test seems to be OK where the arm is parallel to the record.
Used arm's is imposible to find here in DK and apparently in Sweden to.
In UK (Ebay) a fine LVII can be found for about £400, an Ekos I about £750 and an Ekos II about £900-950.
Unfortunately it is not posible to buy one in the US due to taxes for buying outside the EU (about +35%). And make no mistake, the Danish authourities will find out.
AO can fix it for about £110 but then i still have an Akito and i think if I have to spend some money it should be an upgrade to.
I'm aware of the "huge" differences reported between the arms (From Ittok and up - Ekos SE is out of the equation!!!) but founds suggest an Ittok but then again, if a step up in price makes sense maybe I could sell some body parts.
I will always stay with MM's since Adikt is OK (and my Goldring is not bad at all) and i have such a fine RIAA stage :-)
Well - bang for the buck.....

Thank you all
Lennert
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Ps. I have trouble sleeping knowing that such a fine deck might be limited by a bad arm.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linntek wrote:They are sticky about 2/3 into the record. I have performed a swing test but that proved to be imposible, about 2-3 swings !!!
That's quite impressive - in the wrong way! I have never come across an Akito that was so damaged. Together with that terrible-looking Adikt stylus of yours, I think your LP12 must have been seriously underperforming.

The nice part is that you can look forward to a new and great sound from your vinyl in the future! I will keep an eye open for a good arm, sounds like an Akito2, a late Ittok or a very cheap Ekos is what you'd be interested in.