We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: LP12 Counterweights For Heavier Cartridges

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-04-03 00:34
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-02 23:54 Bottom nut torque 2.4Nm +2. I've been doing them for a fair amount of time. Linn's torque is fairly close to this, sometimes you will have to use a regular driver to loosen it, most times not. But we all know close isn't good enough when it comes to torques.
Thanks, I did get that one. But there was talk of a higher torque, beyond the range of CAL 36/4. As that hasn't been investigated, I sort of placed some hope on a possible new finding there.
There is a document Linn made for dealers on tool recommendations for installing the Karousel. In it they say they recommend 6.5Nm for reinstalling the bottom cap and strongly recommend no more than 7.5Nm. I have yet to see any Karousel come from Linn torqued to anywhere near these figures. Also seeing as an O-Ring seal is involved, which might be damaged by excessive torque, I have chosen to ignore those numbers. As I mentioned Linn torques it pretty close to 2.4 as on most I can loosen the fitting with that torque. I would have to dig up some notes on the various torques I tested on the bottom cap, but as usual there were a number tried. 2.4+2 was the most musical. If others want to play with 6.5 to 7.5Nm, have at it and let us know what you find.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
sktn77a

Re: LP12 Counterweights For Heavier Cartridges

Post by sktn77a »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-03 15:36 There is a document Linn made for dealers on tool recommendations for installing the Karousel. In it they say they recommend 6.5Nm for reinstalling the bottom cap and strongly recommend no more than 7.5Nm. I have yet to see any Karousel come from Linn torqued to anywhere near these figures. Also seeing as an O-Ring seal is involved, which might be damaged by excessive torque, I have chosen to ignore those numbers.
Wow, that's quite a difference! Could that have been a "senior moment" on Linn's part?

Some confirmation, or otherwise, from Linn (via the dealers) would be helpful.
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D