Brik Tweeters

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Brik Tweeters

Post by Charlie1 »

How would I know if my Isobarik tweeters (Hiquphon) need replacing, especially as I don't know what 'normal' sounds like for this speaker? They are the only Briks I've ever heard.

Also, I've been offered 4 x new old stock Linn D20-LP-1 (still boxed) or I could buy brand new Hiquphon OW1-92's. I contacted Oskar at Hiquphon and he thought the NOS originals would likely still be OK. He said they had made some minor improvements over the years though.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Brik Tweeters

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-03-18 16:51 How would I know if my Isobarik tweeters (Hiquphon) need replacing, especially as I don't know what 'normal' sounds like for this speaker? They are the only Briks I've ever heard.

Also, I've been offered 4 x new old stock Linn D20-LP-1 (still boxed) or I could buy brand new Hiquphon OW1-92's. I contacted Oskar at Hiquphon and he thought the NOS originals would likely still be OK. He said they had made some minor improvements over the years though.
Because they don't work?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

No, they work but they are 30+ years old and I assumed they will have deteriorated to some degree. Didn't you swap yours out for Ninka ones? Perhaps that was for other reasons though.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-03-18 23:39 No, they work but they are 30+ years old and I assumed they will have deteriorated to some degree. Didn't you swap yours out for Ninka ones? Perhaps that was for other reasons though.
I had my previous Isobarik tweeters (Linn D20-LP-1) replaced with the Espek tweeters, only because they sounded better. And according to Thomas, the Espek tweeters were the best choice for replacement. But the original tweeters did sound good, just not as good as the Espek tweeters.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tony!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm not aware of any significant degradation over time. But logically speaking if they did deteriorate with age then the midranges and woofers would as well. The crossovers possibly even more so. Are you sure you want to go down that rabbit hole?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Not by the sounds of it and I wasn't looking forwards to doing the work myself. Dont even own a soldering iron. Thanks.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-03-19 23:23 Not by the sounds of it and I wasn't looking forwards to doing the work myself. Dont even own a soldering iron. Thanks
I was fortunate, Thomas did all the work replacing my tweeters...plus he had a soldering iron too!

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
linesrg

Post by linesrg »

Charlie1,

This could definitely be a rabbit hole to head down, my Isobariks don't have an original driver in them.....

I don't suppose you live anywhere near Aberdeen as I would offer to do the soldering.........

Regards

Richard
Linn KSH, 10 channel Akurate Exactbox, Avondale SE amplification +(modified) Isobariks
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

My briks I bought used in 1996, were new except once played. I do not hear any sound degradation, even when I compare my music with other systems. Still in 2019 I was with a bunch of records at the Linn dealer (active Klimax) and there was nothing that made me pay attention regarding musical information. As long as no distortion is audible, I would assume the drivers are fine. In the case that my briks die, however, I have no plan.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the offer linesrg but I have decided to keep them as-is.

That's good to hear Hermann. I have no backup plan either