LINN Classik K - CD Engine & DAC Quality

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Dazza

Re: LINN Classik K - CD Engine & DAC Quality

Post by Dazza »

Terrific advice which i am going to take and frankly i'd be a fool not too.

I have jettisoned chasing a Linn or Naim CD player of a certain vintage and now have reservations about some of the other brand leaders out there' with ageing players (plus Rega's Apollo CD player's top loading CD tray is not for me).

I will however do my best to listen to players from some of the new boys on the street such as Leema & Moon. I'm particularly intrigued by Leema's new Stream IV which although way over my initial budget, incorporates what i've read to be a very competent CD player with an equally competent Streamer. Quite an unusual package which may just deliver what i want from CD and elevate me to a higher level of streaming....or of course it may not!

Anyhow folks, my thanks to all that have taken the trouble to respond and the terrific advice. Although i'm further away from my goal, i'm now better equipped to move forward.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

This thread initially had me lusting after a Linn ikemi but I have also talked myself out of a situation where the I nitial joy of being re- united with an old flame ( I sold mine in 2010), could rapidly be replaced by extreme frustration and regrets .

I would however prefer a small front loading machine -the Cyrus CDi gets good reviews from some places and previous models seem to have been well supported from the manufacturer, with repairs and updates at the factory.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I understanding wanting a tray load player. But I will point out that the Rega lid is articulated and doesn't open very high, just under 6.5" clearance at the highest point from the shelf it sits on. It is also pretty straightforward to put a disc in it. Finally, the motor/gears/belts that drive the tray are common failure points, which wouldn't be there with the Rega. Just sayin'!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Naimless

Post by Naimless »

I still have my Classik in my second system hooked up to a pair of mark2 Kans. A very satisfying little system that never fails to make me smile. I purchased it new in 2000 for £999 and it has never missed a beat and is still used regularly by my wife and I in our study. I worked out it has so far cost 13 pence a day, not bad value for money. I rarely use the CD player side anymore and have a HiFiberry DAC connected to the Auxiliary input that allows me to stream via the Classik to great effect.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Naimless wrote: 2021-04-08 20:46 I still have my Classik in my second system hooked up to a pair of mark2 Kans. A very satisfying little system that never fails to make me smile. I purchased it new in 2000 for £999 and it has never missed a beat and is still used regularly by my wife and I in our study. I worked out it has so far cost 13 pence a day, not bad value for money. I rarely use the CD player side anymore and have a HiFiberry DAC connected to the Auxiliary input that allows me to stream via the Classik to great effect.
Love hearing this, great enjoyment from legacy equipment!
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Having brought down my 300 or so cds from the loft, I felt I really needed to get a CD player to try out my old classical CDs , bought after painstaking research in the 1990s.

I ended up with an impulsive purchase of a Marantz CD6007 and have to say it’s really quite good. Much better than my Oppo 103 and vastly better than my back up NAS drive ( My Book Live) through KDS/2 .

It’s not up to Qobuz / KDS/2 levels but for the money, ridiculously good value for money. So many of these recordings ( along with many precious Indian music recordings) are not available on streaming sites and this is the only way for me to enjoy them, now that I have given up with NAS drives.

I have realised that having my CDs visible ( like the vinyl) reminds me of all the albums I have -and now prompts me to give them a listen- very satisfying and enjoyable.

I am beginning to wonder whether high end CD players like dCS might be worth looking at in the future.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

I have had much experience with the Marantz PM and CD range, up to 6006 in both cd player and amp. Without doubt they are fantastic products and punch well above their weight.

Unfortunately, but necessarily, I am selling my 2nd system and the amp and cd player will be among the setup. I shall miss them. Especially when I used ro run the cd player through Kisto DAC. So so good.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Thought i'd update you folks on where this thread has taken me thus far.

Fair to say you folks have given me plenty of food for thought and up until yesterday with the additional help of Colin from NORD Acoustics, i had decided to buy the Audiolab 6000CDT and switch in the DAC from my NORD Easy Stream Connect DAC ES9038 (using its digital Coax conn.)......and then i happened upon a review of the Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3 CD Ripper and storage and now i'm torn....... Again!
Anyhow, i've now read a few more reviews and seems this little box of tricks, at what seems a very reasonable price (for the standalone CD ripper anyway) is a bit of a bargain. My task now is to hear one, preferably in my system (may prove slightly difficult) and make a final judgement.

Any of you folks using an Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3?

This trip has taken me much further than i intended, turned my thought process inside out, potentially escalated my budget (if i bought the 6000CDT and used it with my NORD i'd be quids in) but above all educated me which cant be a bad thing.

I've set myself this month to make one or the other happen so once again your thoughts would be appreciated.