Linn Launch Event

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Launch Event

Post by Matteo »

Is there one person on earth that has already listened to the NGKDSM?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: 2021-04-09 20:17 Is there one person on earth that has already listened to the NGKDSM?
A little bit strange since normally with the announcement the first reviews are coming also.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-04-08 20:01
The LP12 was less than £350 at an early stage.
Aye. And we could go to the pictures, get a bus home and still have enough change out of a half crown for a bag of chips and a pickled egg!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote: 2021-04-10 04:12
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-04-08 20:01
The LP12 was less than £350 at an early stage.
Aye. And we could go to the pictures, get a bus home and still have enough change out of a half crown for a bag of chips and a pickled egg!
As I read this I was thinking it was cool enough that "we could go to the pictures"...
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

There's a legitimate point to be made about the change in Linn's pricing policy.

As a university student in the early 80s I could work two weekends and afford an LP12. Later in life I could easily afford several LK-style boxes. The prices started to ramp up decade by decade until they're now selling a streamer for around £30k. I wonder who Linn's target market is these days. Especially for a DAC from a company which doesn't have a reputation for top quality DACs. Or streamers.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-04-10 22:57 There's a legitimate point to be made about the change in Linn's pricing policy.

As a university student in the early 80s I could work two weekends and afford an LP12. Later in life I could easily afford several LK-style boxes.
£350 in 1983 is equivalent to £1050 today. So the entry level LP12 has more than trebled in price in real terms, but it is now a niche product for a small market, rather than competing in a much bigger commodity market.

A Kiko complete system is £2500, equivalent to £850 in 1983, which perhaps better represents today's entry level for Linn.

I suspect a complete LP12 system in 1983 would have cost perhaps a bit more.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

More interesting to me is the quality Vs price of Frederik's products. I have just listened (for the second time straight) to an album I first heard when I was 18 (Supertramp Crime of the Century) playing on Frederik's Hakai and Boazu and I was struck for the first time by how absolutely gorgeous this music is.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

matthias wrote: 2021-04-09 22:21
Matteo wrote: 2021-04-09 20:17 Is there one person on earth that has already listened to the NGKDSM?
A little bit strange since normally with the announcement the first reviews are coming also.

Matt
It is very strange, especially since some of the dealers have received their NGKDSM.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Might be due to the UK lockdown. Shops only just re-opened a couple of days ago.
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Hei, jeg hadde gleden av en kort lytt i dag.
Den gamle Klimax DSM låter som uinteressant HiFi i fohold. Den nye får deg til å FØLE musikken, at man er der ( i tillegg til de vanlige hifi sakene som lydbilde etc men det er uinteressant). Hørte på forskjellige typer musikk, både kjent og ukjente. EN kort lytt på den "gamle" Klimax DSM er kjempekjedelig/tråkigt og fremstår som "bra" HiFi uten musikk.
Bilder i denne artikkelen:
http://audiophile.no/nb-no/item/2934-li ... sm-av-2021
Spilt via M4100 og Kudos 707.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

In English please
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Google Translate wrote:Hi, I had the pleasure of a short listen today.
The old Klimax DSM sounds like uninteresting HiFi in [relation]. The new one makes you FEEL the music, that you are there (in addition to the usual hifi things like sound image etc but it is uninteresting). Listened to different types of music, both known and unknown. A short listen to the "old" Klimax DSM is very boring / boring and appears as "good" HiFi without music.
Pictures in this article:
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Matteo wrote: 2021-04-15 21:35 In English please
Ups, wrong connection late in the evening of some reason (Swedish forum +international = English language). Sorry and here we go:
I had the pleasure of a short listening session today:

First the New Klimax DSM. Qobuz was used in the demo.
Played via Kudos 707 and a Majik 4100 in bi-amp mode. I've heard the 707 in the same room at a different position via Akurate Exaktbox - I and Akurate DSM before and have not be overly enthusiastic.
Now, - I have not heard such music performance before. The pure presence of being in the room and feel the atmosphere was the biggest change. It basically felt live. Then there was the usual stuff with instruments you I had not noticed before, variations in the singers tone and voice etc. But again, the feel - that was striking. Listening to opera at low volum (can't recall the artist and piece)
Short listening to the outgoing version of Klimax DSM: Nice sound, clear but totally uninteresting. Boring HiFi stuff whereas the new Klimax reproduced music.
The only negative part is the high price. Will be interesting to head the hub versions and Exaktboxes that come in stock later. Also the technology will be implemented in the cheaper products in time.
There are pictures in this article (not by me):
http://audiophile.no/nb-no/item/2934-li ... sm-av-2021
(If you look closely you may also see Lejonklou phone stages and integrated amp. )

Øyvind I
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Øyvind I wrote: 2021-04-16 07:35 First the New Klimax DSM. Qobuz was used in the demo.
Played via Kudos 707 and a Majik 4100 in bi-amp mode. I've heard the 707 in the same room at a different position via Akurate Exaktbox - I and Akurate DSM before and have not be overly enthusiastic.
Now, - I have not heard such music performance before. The pure presence of being in the room and feel the atmosphere was the biggest change. It basically felt live. Then there was the usual stuff with instruments you I had not noticed before, variations in the singers tone and voice etc. But again, the feel - that was striking. Listening to opera at low volum (can't recall the artist and piece)
Thanks for sharing.

What did they use upstream (server, network etc.) to the new KDSM for streaming from Qobuz?

Matt
Matt

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Today I have heard the NGKDSM.

The context was streaming via Innuos statement and Qobuz hi-res files. To take advantage of the Organik DAC, the dealer was running a passive system. The NGKDSM was actually the only Linn component, power amp was Moor, speakers Kudos 808, with REL subwoofers. There was no comparison made to the old KDSM.

First impressions are that this was the best digital-source system I have heard, and probably the best I have heard my dealer's system sound. I wanted to try a few familiar tracks, but rather than butterflying around before a track had finished, I was so captured by the music that it was necessary to hear complete/multiple tracks from each album sampled.

Finally we took a favourite album and compared Qobuz hi-res to Klimax LP12/Urika2 connected via Exaktlink. Here I marginally preferred LP12 as a source, for ease and nuance, but the dealer felt it wasn't clear-cut. It was the first time he had done this comparison, and thought we needed to listen longer before coming to conclusions. The main point for me was that the NGKDSM makes the Klimax LP12/Urika2 sound a lot more interesting than the old Katalyst KDSM did.

With so many uncontrolled variables and about an hour of listening, it's hard to be definitive, but the NGKDSM is very musical, significantly more so than my impressions and memories of earlier Linn streamers, both those I've owned (Akurate) and those I've only heard (Klimax).
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the report David. Sounds like an enjoyable day.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

David Neel wrote: 2021-04-20 18:36 Today I have heard the NGKDSM.

The context was streaming via Innuos statement and Qobuz hi-res files. To take advantage of the Organik DAC, the dealer was running a passive system. The NGKDSM was actually the only Linn component, power amp was Moor, speakers Kudos 808, with REL subwoofers. There was no comparison made to the old KDSM.

First impressions are that this was the best digital-source system I have heard, and probably the best I have heard my dealer's system sound. I wanted to try a few familiar tracks, but rather than butterflying around before a track had finished, I was so captured by the music that it was necessary to hear complete/multiple tracks from each album sampled.

Finally we took a favourite album and compared Qobuz hi-res to Klimax LP12/Urika2 connected via Exaktlink. Here I marginally preferred LP12 as a source, for ease and nuance, but the dealer felt it wasn't clear-cut. It was the first time he had done this comparison, and thought we needed to listen longer before coming to conclusions. The main point for me was that the NGKDSM makes the Klimax LP12/Urika2 sound a lot more interesting than the old Katalyst KDSM did.

With so many uncontrolled variables and about an hour of listening, it's hard to be definitive, but the NGKDSM is very musical, significantly more so than my impressions and memories of earlier Linn streamers, both those I've owned (Akurate) and those I've only heard (Klimax).
Thanks David ,but did you have that feeling that you would like to have that sound at home.I have to go way back through the years to get that feeling
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Lego wrote: 2021-04-20 20:58 Thanks David ,but did you have that feeling that you would like to have that sound at home.I have to go way back through the years to get that feeling
Great question, and one that I've been asking myself this evening.

I've now listened at home to several of the tracks we played through the NGKDSM. As a digital source, it's (much) better than my Hakai. If digital was my primary source, and I had the money (neither is true!) I'd be very tempted and captivated by its undeniable musicality. But, back in the real world...

The interesting part for me was that the Klimax LP12 sounded (to me, my dealer is sitting on the fence) better than pure digital sources. So Organik is REALLY good, because the (IMO) soulless Urika2 comes alive with it.

Back home, my LP12, identical to the dealer's except I have an Entity rather than Urika2, is sounding good/great/fantastic. It's difficult to tell, but I suspect that one real takeaway from today is the sense of scale and detail that can be added by a well-set-up sub-woofer, even with full-range speakers. So while there's no chance of me ordering a NGKDSM (my dealer knew that before I visited, he was kind enough to give me the time anyway), I can now easily imagine a pair of RELs in my future.

So, after a Källa and a pair of subwoofers, how do I spend the change from the £30,000 I haven't got in the first place?!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

The context was streaming via Innuos statement and Qobuz hi-res files.
Thanks for sharing.
What do you think about the contribution of the Statement (Innuos' TOTL server) to the performance?
Do you know how the Innuos was connected to the NGKDSM?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

woohoo is that right that an Innuous Statement is another 11.000Euro that adds up to the total cost?
That makes a Klimax LP12 with Entity and Sagatun Monos look like a bargain. But its good that the new Klimax DS delivers for the money.
7Ryder

Post by 7Ryder »

matthias wrote: 2021-04-21 14:47

The context was streaming via Innuos statement and Qobuz hi-res files.
Thanks for sharing.
What do you think about the contribution of the Statement (Innuos' TOTL server) to the performance?
Thanks

Matt
I had the opportunity to have the Statement in my system for a week using it with my KDSM/2 and whether connected directly to the KDSM/2 or through the switch, it made little or no difference in SQ. Same experience trying out an Antipodes K50.

Chris
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

7Ryder wrote: 2021-04-21 15:46 I had the opportunity to have the Statement in my system for a week using it with my KDSM/2 and whether connected directly to the KDSM/2 or through the switch, it made little or no difference in SQ. Same experience trying out an Antipodes K50.

Chris
Chris,
thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum :-)

Matt
Matt

Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

From South Korea, Linn Organik I suppose? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ySPeVyvWhI
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

matthias wrote: 2021-04-21 14:47
Thanks

Matt
Matt, I have no idea, on either count! I heard Traffic (On the Road) play The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys from Innuos storage, and a couple of ECM albums streamed via the Linn app. There was no comparison involved apart from the vinyl/LP12 input vs. hi-res streaming input, where we used a track from Lucinda Williams/This Sweet Old World.

Consistently the system sounded engaging and musical to a level I've not experienced from KDS/M Katalyst systems.
Defender wrote: 2021-04-21 14:54 woohoo is that right that an Innuous Statement is another 11.000Euro that adds up to the total cost?
Yes, there was frightening amount of money involved! Easily six figures...
Defender wrote: 2021-04-21 14:54 That makes a Klimax LP12 with Entity and Sagatun Monos look like a bargain.
Interestingly, a NGKDSM is very approximately the same price as all those above plus a Källa...