Linn Launch Event

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Launch Event

Post by matthias »

Lingomatik wrote: 2021-03-25 18:02 35.700€ in Germany, looks like SELEKT with solid case. yeah....
Can you provide a link?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lingomatik wrote: 2021-03-25 18:02 35.700€ in Germany, looks like SELEKT with solid case. yeah....
It is like to spend this amount for a cartridge, so what about the turntable (server)?

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Defender wrote: 2021-03-25 20:40 mmh I more and more get the feeling they lost their way.
Same here defender, although I think Linn started losing their way awhile back. And maybe it was around the time they began dropping their analog electronics. Plus, their speaker line hasn't been all that much either. But in any case, I do think Linn still has the ability to do better, if they really wanted to do better. And perhaps Linn just isn't the company they once were...
Tony Tune-age
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

what I think it is they now get consultants which advise them where the market is and tell them „start to put your ears and opinions in your trousers pockets and provide what most of your customers want and are able to pay for“
we have to admit we are a minority now
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

This is worth listening to, for Gilad's explanation of Linn's philosophy: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/podcast/ ... view-r995/

It's not exactly a challenging interview, but interesting nonetheless
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-23 17:21
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-03-22 21:59
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-20 20:13Of course, whether you thought it was classier would depend on how much you like fancy knobs/dials/lights.
There's been a few people I've known that really like components with buttons to push, knobs to turn, and switches to switch. And many times, evaluated a component by how many it had (more was better).

Cheers
You forgot big blue meters to watch!
As pointless as it gets :)

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2 ... etely.html

KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

The Linn website is now down
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

The Linn site was down because it has been updated with a new look. It is interesting to see how Linn is targeting a customer base who like to listen to music rather than buying (expensive) hifi stuff. This company profile has been reinforced now. No big boxes, no dual-mono amplifiers and huge separate electricity transformers sized as boxes for riding boots etc. How many hifi companies show people listning to music in every-day situations on their websites? Not many. The focus is usually on machines that are supposedly constructed to be good built in some way. Is is a good sign that Linn are more interested in building systems for people who just want to enjoy music instead of discussing what material is used in a specific tweeter.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

"the proof is in the pudding" (not in the website) ...

:-/
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Or you could look at this:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

New Klimax DSM is up on the new Linn US website. $39,000 for Music or AV version. No older version of KDSM shown, although still in the price list for the time being.
The LP12 Whisperer
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-26 18:19 New Klimax DSM is up on the new Linn US website. $39,000 for Music or AV version. No older version of KDSM shown, although still in the price list for the time being.
Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!!!!!!
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

They made a thing of it being their first DAC, or was it their first all Linn DAC - either way, what were they using beforehand?

Also, I don't actually know what a system hub is. Does that make it an Exakt only DAC, so no analogue-out or volume control?
sandgrown

Post by sandgrown »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-03-26 18:47 They made a thing of it being their first DAC, or was it their first all Linn DAC - either way, what were they using beforehand?

Also, I don't actually know what a system hub is. Does that make it an Exakt only DAC, so no analogue-out or volume control?
Yep - the System Hub has no analogue outs. So you'd use it with an Exaktbox or Exakt Speakers. So that's going to be bought by new customers, right? Because existing Linnies can get their Ekaxtbox & Speakers upgraded with the new Organik DAC.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

How is this different from what Chord and others have been doing for years? Hardly the streaming revolution the marketing blurb claimed.
On the system hub front why has its price rocketed? It has no Organik DAC.

I wish Linn well but almost doubling the price. Who are they targeting to buy this?

Obviously interested to hear listening impressions though. Who’s first in line to get one?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

£30000 for Klimax DSM is quite a step up in price. I wonder how many they expect to sell. I guess we will see elements of the flagship line make it into the lower cost lines over time. How long before Organik makes it all the way to the series 3?

In the Audiophile interview Linn referred to the durability of the modular design of the LP12, and that this philosophy is intended in the new line of digital sources.

Is clear that Linn have not previously managed to apply a modular design to digital that succeeds in the way the LP12 did from the outset.

It will be interesting to see if this new physical architecture succeeds in that respect. I'm not sure if that is a factor though, for those considering spending £30k.

Perhaps it's not surprising that Linn has vacated the sub £3k source market. It must be hard to make a decent profit on devices that can show something like the HAKAI a clean pair of heels.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
DoomHammer

Post by DoomHammer »

One thing I totally don't get. What's the deal with AV and music being priced the same?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Discodave wrote: 2021-03-26 18:22
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-26 18:19 New Klimax DSM is up on the new Linn US website. $39,000 for Music or AV version. No older version of KDSM shown, although still in the price list for the time being.
Wow, what a deal for only $39,000.00 and when only the best will do! Not...!!!
Tony Tune-age
cortina

Post by cortina »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-03-26 19:06 £30000 for Klimax DSM is quite a step up in price. I wonder how many they expect to sell. I guess we will see elements of the flagship line make it into the lower cost lines over time. How long before Organik makes it all the way to the series 3?

Is clear that Linn have not previously managed to apply a modular design to digital that succeeds in the way the LP12 did from the outset.

It will be interesting to see if this new physical architecture succeeds in that respect. I'm not sure if that is a factor though, for those considering spending £30k.

Perhaps it's not surprising that Linn has vacated the sub £3k source market. It must be hard to make a decent profit on devices that can show something like the HAKAI a clean pair of heels.
I guess the Organik can make it to all models but with software modifications that make the quality noticeably worse the less you spend.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Very interesting link Sunbeamgls, it looks like the finished product turned out nicely! Thanks for posting...
sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-03-25 22:56
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-23 17:21
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-03-22 21:59

There's been a few people I've known that really like components with buttons to push, knobs to turn, and switches to switch. And many times, evaluated a component by how many it had (more was better).

Cheers
You forgot big blue meters to watch!
As pointless as it gets :)

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2 ... etely.html

Tony Tune-age
neonmeatedream

Post by neonmeatedream »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-03-26 19:00 Who are they targeting to buy this?
People with money and an upgrade addiction.
Klinnsmann

Post by Klinnsmann »

How much to upgrade my akudoriks 🤔 at least half og their current cost i guess ........
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-03-26 19:52
Discodave wrote: 2021-03-26 18:22
Wow, what a deal for only $39,000.00 and when only the best will do! Not...!!!
As a man with simple tastes............
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I am sitting here enjoing my not even maxed out LP12 through Entity and Sagatun smiling and shaking my head - I wish them all the best but Linn Marketing doesnt need to do the emotion road as those emotions are only for a limited number of people.
... and I bet my Akurate DS/3 it will not even come close to what an LP12 can achieve

its still just 1’s and 0‘s ... give a painter only black and white as colors the outcome will never be a van Gogh