Linn Launch Event

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Launch Event

Post by Discodave »

Defender wrote: 2021-03-26 21:06 I am sitting here enjoing my not even maxed out LP12 through Entity and Sagatun smiling and shaking my head - I wish them all the best but Linn Marketing doesnt need to do the emotion road as those emotions are only for a limited number of people.
... and I bet my Akurate DS/3 it will not even come close to what an LP12 can achieve

its still just 1’s and 0‘s ... give a painter only black and white as colors the outcome will never be a van Gogh
Do you think Van Gough could get a half price discount, for obvious reasons?
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Defender wrote: 2021-03-26 21:06 its still just 1’s and 0‘s ... give a painter only black and white as colors the outcome will never be a van Gogh
I bet Ansel Adams would have got pretty excited at the thought of having 16,777,216 grey scale levels to play with, though 🤣
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2021-03-26 21:51
Defender wrote: 2021-03-26 21:06 its still just 1’s and 0‘s ... give a painter only black and white as colors the outcome will never be a van Gogh
I bet Ansel Adams would have got pretty excited at the thought of having 16,777,216 grey scale levels to play with, though 🤣
He was Analogue Adams; you're thinking of Pixel Adams, maybe? 😋
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2021-03-26 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-03-26 19:00 Who are they targeting to buy this?
Maybe they will sell more upgrades than new Klimax DSM.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I have a lot of respect for Linn and what they have achieved. For 45 years there has been at least one Linn product in my system, and for a long time it was all Linn.

I have no doubt that the new kit will sound absolutely wonderful. But, will it rip the soul out of the music like the Urika II does? If it doesn't, that would be great, but I still won't be able to afford it....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

David Neel wrote: 2021-03-26 22:26 I have a lot of respect for Linn and what they have achieved. For 45 years there has been at least one Linn product in my system, and for a long time it was all Linn.

I have no doubt that the new kit will sound absolutely wonderful. But, will it rip the soul out of the music like the Urika II does? If it doesn't, that would be great, but I still won't be able to afford it....
Excellent point. And here lies the rub, you don't need to afford it. Part of their business model, as far as I can see anyway, allows people to build wonderful systems around 2nd hand/legacy gear. I started with a 1978 LP12 into Wakonda/LK100. Blew the head of my shoulders. Now I'm here. If it wasn't for Linn, life would be that much duller for me.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-03-26 22:26
macrotech2 wrote: 2021-03-26 19:00 Who are they targeting to buy this?
Maybe they will sell more upgrades than new Klimax DSM.
What upgrades? it appears there will be no upgrades to current Klimax DSM, instead a trade in program for your old one. There are upgrades for the K350a and the Klimax Exaktbox crossover, but not the KDS or KDSM.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Ah. I extrapolated, unjustifiably it appears.
Pete

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

I’m quite shocked for the new Selekt
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

The marketing blurb says, "manufactured entirely in-house". A cursory examination of the section of the Organik PCB published reveals a plethora of parts manufactured elsewhere. No surprise but why exaggerate?
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
teatime

Post by teatime »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-03-27 00:34 marketing [...] exaggerate
I think you have the explanation right there. It's marketing. It's meant to feel good. Not be literally true.

Then again, unless you're selling boiled (unsalted) potatoes, "manufactured entirely in-house" is virtually impossible to live up to. Certainly no technology company could say that today and have it be literally true.

If you design, manufacture and assemble every major subsystem and software in-house (using mostly sourced components, obviously), I think you'd be allowed to attempt to claim "manufactured entirely in-house". The claim would not be in my top 5 objections to this launch, at least...
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

"manufactured entirely in-house" is virtually impossible to live up to."

I agree but I don't believe they could claim, "made in America" using that number of parts made by TI (op amps), Chinese tantalum caps, Samsung caps etc. It's hard to spot what's made in Scotland.

It's hardly a revolutionary streamer judging by the webinar and the Organik PCB. I can see why they're going for the lifestyle market (the podcast makes that very clear) but I expected more from the hyperbole.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Agreed. I'm not sure what I expected, but I certainly hoped for more than this.

"Change the face of streaming" is just ridiculous. This product changes absolutely nothing. Even IF it is the best source ever, it is still a product most people can only dream of affording, and as such, will have very little impact. The first generation DS hardly "changed streaming" either, even if they were among the first hifi companies to go that way. This time.. will anyone notice?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Some impressions from the other side of the pond:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and ... -dac-r996/

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I noticed the term DAC distortion! So digital perfection is not perfect. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-03-27 01:19 I expected more from the hyperbole.
Time for Linn to publish a couple of before and after clips on the Playground!

I'm sure we'll see listening impressions soon. Linn have created high expectations.
Pete

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

A new white paper?
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

teatime wrote: 2021-03-27 01:43 Agreed. I'm not sure what I expected, but I certainly hoped for more than this.

"Change the face of streaming" is just ridiculous. This product changes absolutely nothing. Even IF it is the best source ever, it is still a product most people can only dream of affording, and as such, will have very little impact. The first generation DS hardly "changed streaming" either, even if they were among the first hifi companies to go that way. This time.. will anyone notice?
Like the last big announcement from Salisbury... the new Naim for Bentley

:-)
Animal

Post by Animal »

Do I see a new Input for a fiber network connection labeled "Optical Ethernet"?
That is new, Louis.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Animal wrote: 2021-03-27 10:31 Do I see a new Input for a fiber network connection labeled "Optical Ethernet"?
That is new, Louis.
And a second USB port; what for?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

its fascinating how the computer audiophile is impressed about the 20db lower distortion figures than Katalyst ... which is certainly an impressive achievement but does it matter is the more important question. I know my LP12 cant compete with that ... it was already far off from the Katalyst but is still more musical.

Did they mention somewhere the new architecture is better when vinyl?

Building an DAC from discrete parts is nothing new - Total DAC does that since years with ladder resistors.
Teac Esoteric calls it Master Sound Discrete DAC and its offered in their N-01XD Streamer for about 20.000USD since 2020.

What I liked about the Klimax line so far was its design was completely different from Akurate and Majik - the new system looks too much the same as Selekt.
The question is if Klimax DS/3 will stay - if not there will be a big gap in the product line between Akurate DS and Klimax Selekt DS
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

beck wrote: 2021-03-27 08:40 I noticed the term DAC distortion! So digital perfection is not perfect. :-)
It depends what is meant by "DAC".

A DAC chip is digital on the input. A DAC product that turns digital into analogue has analogue components and therefore distortion. So a DAC product (rather than the chip itsself) is prone to distortion.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Apparently the current Klimax DS and DSM will continue in parallel, although its not clear for how long.

The new one is called Next Gen Klimax DSM.

Marketing genius.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

For those of us at Akurate spending levels, this statement on the Linn website may be of concern:

"Next-generation Klimax DSM completes the Linn DSM family line-up of Klimax DSM, Selekt DSM and Majik DSM"
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-03-27 11:54 For those of us at Akurate spending levels, this statement on the Linn website may be of concern:

"Next-generation Klimax DSM completes the Linn DSM family line-up of Klimax DSM, Selekt DSM and Majik DSM"
Yes, I am sure they will ditch the Akurate line.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677