Linn Selekt to klimax Exakt question

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Dingding

Linn Selekt to klimax Exakt question

Post by Dingding »

I have been rather taken by the looks of the Linn Selekt I have found it a bit of a grower since I first set eyes on it a year or so ago. It would seem most agree the performance is somewhere between majik and akurate level regardless of having the katalyst fitted. My question is would running a Selekt via klimax Exact to a klout to drive passive speakers be a complete waste of time ? ( just an expensive work around ) Also would a standard Selekt without katalyst sound same through exact as a Selekt with Katalyst ?
The selekt offers all the features I require “ phono card and hdmi input “ in such a nice package but just not really a the performance level I was after.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Selekt to klimax Exakt question

Post by sunbeamgls »

In a passive system, the DAC would be in the Selekt and therefore Katalyst in Selekt is a good improvement.

In an Exakt system, the DAC is in the Exaktbox. In this system the Selekt doesn't need any kind of DAC, so the best solution is a no DAC Selekt (they call it the system hub). If it had a DAC, it wouldn't matter if it was non-Kat or Kat, as its not in use.

If you want to use passive speakers, a Klimax Exaktbox doesn't make very much sense - it will be Katalyst and better than the Katalyst in the Selekt, but you're buying a box with 6x DACs in it and only using 2x of them. If you want Klimax level, then the Klimax DSM with Katalyst would make the most sense.

If you're thinking of a Klimax Exaktbox, why stay passive? Why not go Exakt active with your speakers?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Dingding

Post by Dingding »

Thanks sunbeamgls that does make perfect sense how.
It’s does all sound a bit over the top and such a waste, in an ideal world Linn would make a klimax level 2 channel dac.
My speakers are currently Focal sopra 1’s which give no option for going active. I will eventually like to go a bit old school and go Keltiks with all klouts but finding them I’m good condition these days are getting harder and harder.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Dingding wrote: 2021-02-14 20:25 Thanks sunbeamgls that does make perfect sense how.
It’s does all sound a bit over the top and such a waste, in an ideal world Linn would make a klimax level 2 channel dac.
My speakers are currently Focal sopra 1’s which give no option for going active. I will eventually like to go a bit old school and go Keltiks with all klouts but finding them I’m good condition these days are getting harder and harder.
They do, it is called the Klimax DS. Linn actually doesn't just make a DAC. The Klimax DS is a streamer/DAC and the Klimax DSM is a streamer/DAC/preamp. The Klimax Exakt is a digital electronic crossover with DACs for each channel that requires an Exakt digital input.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.