Linn Kan II terminal jumpers/plates

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Allan3630

Linn Kan II terminal jumpers/plates

Post by Allan3630 »

Does anyone know where one can get plates joining the terminals on a bi-wired Kan II. I would like to go back to single wiring and prefer not to jury rig with wire between.

I guess these are generic as I had a set for Kabers at one time

Thanks!
Mr Pig

Re: Linn Kan II terminal jumpers/plates

Post by Mr Pig »

Hi there,

You don't need, or want the plates.

I don't know if you tried it while you were single wiring with the jumper pates but the speakers sound different depending on whether or not you are using the top or bottom sockets. Top ones, treble better, bottom ones, treble worser! It's a very quick and easy way to realize that the jumper plates degrade the sound.

Of course you can run two sets of cable, if your amplifier and domestic manager are happy with that, but you don't need to. What to do is put two plugs on the end of each cable. You don't want to split the cable between the two plugs. You want all the cable going into two plugs.

For decades I've used these. They sound great: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292285255273 ... XQ01tRUKwW Solder one to the end of your cable. Bend the cable so that the plug is right-angle to it before you solder it.

Put the plug into the top socket on the speaker. Mark the cable sleeve just below the top of the lower socket and strip off the sleeve for about an inch underneath that. Fold the exposed cable in half and solder it into another plug. Again, setting it at right angle to the cable.

Test fit the plugs on the sockets before you solder them! You don't need to push them all the way in, just enough to make sure they're going to fit. If you make the gap between the plugs slightly too big, the cable will bend a little and they'll fit. Too small and you're starting again.

The easiest way to get thick cable, especially your folded over cable, into the plugs is to use a screwdriver to open up the back of the plug. Put the cable in then crimp the plug on with pliers. It's thin metal so bends easily but be careful to not distort the blade section or the plug might be very tight in the socket.

You can flatten down the little tab, or snap it off, but what you now have are 'F-Plugs' which bypass the jumpers on bi-wire speakers. The speakers now sound the same as they would bi-wired, but with half the wire. Or the same as they would single-wired into a single pair of sockets, which is what we should have stuck with!
Flatcoat

Re: Linn Kan II terminal jumpers/plates

Post by Flatcoat »

I have a set - just pm me your address and I will post them.