Unidisk SC, Kisto or Kairn

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Allan3630

Unidisk SC, Kisto or Kairn

Post by Allan3630 »

Hi

I am considering replacing my Unidisk SC with a Kisto or Kairn as preamp to my Klout. I am not convinced with the Unidisk’s preamp performance.

I am looking into a MC phono stage as well for my LP12/Ittok/Troika. The Kairn, which is supposed to have an excellent MM/MC phono stage, has the advantage that I don’t have to buy one of these as well.

Any thoughts on which is the best option?

Thanks!
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Unidisk SC, Kisto or Kairn

Post by springwood64 »

I have used Kairn, early AV5103, late AV5103 and Kinos, using a Linto as the MC preamp.

I thought the late AV5103 a worthwhile improvement on the Kairn, and the Kinos a bigger improvement again.

I recently compared a Unidisk SC preamp to an Arcam AVR 300 and found the Arcam more enjoyable. On the whole I did not enjoy the Unidisk SC preamp, so I suspect that I would prefer all of the above to the Unidisk.

I have not heard a Kisto, but would expect it to outperform all of the above.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Allan3630 wrote: 2021-02-12 13:13 Hi

I am considering replacing my Unidisk SC with a Kisto or Kairn as preamp to my Klout. I am not convinced with the Unidisk’s preamp performance.

I am looking into a MC phono stage as well for my LP12/Ittok/Troika. The Kairn, which is supposed to have an excellent MM/MC phono stage, has the advantage that I don’t have to buy one of these as well.

Any thoughts on which is the best option?

Thanks!
I would opt for either a akurate kontrol/0 or /1
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

I agree Unidisc SC can be a bit unreliable but with a replaced laser - which still can be found - you will be settled again for some time.

Kisto is very good as a preamp (I'd say the best of your selection) but besides you should have room for this being a heavyweight not only in performance but also in appearance, it has one flaw which is that it can be prone to overheating.

This is something that can also happen to 5103 btw although I believe to a lesser degree.
Anyway should this occur then both Kisto and 5103 are beyond repair.

Also you should factor in that both don't have a MM/MC phonostage.

Kairn is a good preamp that does have MM/MC phonostages (if it's not the PRO version) but having owned all of these I would suggest another Linn option as a preamp: Exotik or Akurate Kontrol with Dynamik PSU.

Note they should have the Dynamik PSU but I found these better than Kairn.
And the Akurate Kontrol has also a MM/MC phonostage onboard - whereas with Exotik this was optional.

The only thing with Exotik and AK/0 is that their displays can get a bit dim over time, which can be fixed but IMO not worth the cost.
Overall these are fine, reliable preamps that offer a lot for their money.

Much better again is the Akurate Kontrol of the 2nd generation (AK/1), discontinued a few years ago, which may be found for about €1500 s/h.
These are stereo only and have beside an MM/MC stage also a great headphone stage, whereas AK/0 is a 5.1 preamp without headphone stage.

Hope to have given you some guidance and overview - did not intend to make the choice harder for you ;-)
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
dasher

Post by dasher »

I went the following route:

Kolektor > Karin >AV 5103 > Unidisk SC > Exotik (non D) > Kinos > Kisto.

In terms of pre amp performance (my Exotic had a Phono stage) then I find that they go (best to worst) Kisto (big gap) AV5103 Kinos Exotik ( gap) USC.

The Kairn I would treat separately as the presentation is completely different.

The Kisto is better by a long way - close to Klimax level. It's what I still use in my main system. I need 5.1 otherwise I would only change it for a KK.

The Kinos and Exotik I found to be very good - in many ways I was quite happy with the Kinos - I can run two tape loops with the Kisto and that was very important to me - otherwise I would have kept the Kinos. Once the Kisto was here though the difference was a massive bonus.

I have an Akurate DSM and the (MC) phono stage in the ADSM sounds very similar to the one that was in the Exotik. I also had a Linto - they Linto was a shade better than the ADSM Phono stage and quite a lot batter than the Kairn. I was very happy with the Kairn though and 'better' becomes relative at that level. My Kairn was a very late model. I now use a Uphorik instead of the ADSM PS - it is substantially better- but again - the ADSM is still very good.

Marco is very correct about factoring in the size of the Kisto - it is the same width but substantially taller than the Kinos/Exotik (not twice the height). It is heavy and it is best to have air around it. Mine doesn't run too hot, the fans have only ever kicked in once - and that was after processing 5.1 DVD sound for two back to back movies - in summer! I use mine very day. They are getting cheap enough to carry a spare - I have one in the loft! Although Linn have discontinued support I've been told that certain things are still repairable - it's just that they don't have a spare for everything.

The Kinos is the best value - I'm aware of this as I'm about to list one! The Exotik or AK/0 with dynamic would be slightly better - and one has the PhonoStage built in (again, as Marco says - it is an option on the Exotik).

It isn't an easy call - 2 channel only then, depending on budget, like Marco I'd probably look for an AK/1 (they can be quite a bit more than Marco's estimate in the UK though). If the quality of the pre amp is paramount then I'd risk the Kisto. If budget is paramount a Kinos. For latest spec an AK/1 - going down the middle an Exotik (D Phono)) or AK/1.

It is worth noting that although the Kinos/Kisto were released before the Exotik and AK/0 - they were both available for much longer. My Kisto is 2012 and my Kinos 2011 - whereas the AK /0 disappeared late 2009/early 2010.
Allan3630

Post by Allan3630 »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input!

Made a little mistake...I actually had meant Kinos and not Kisto. So I appreciate the feedback on both! I'm afraid my budget does not cover the Kisto.

It sounds like the Kinos, or Akurate kontrol is the choice here.

I should mention I recently replaced my old SC with one with a new laser and Dynamik PSU. Will it be a step down if the Kinos or Akurate does not have a Dynamik?

Also, are there any pairing problems with the Klout? I know that the Kairn is born to mate with it.

/Allan
dasher

Post by dasher »

My Exotik was without dynamic and was a much better pre amp than the USC - I had both side by side for the duration that I had the Exotik. I replaced the Exotik with a Kinos - to my ears the Kinos was an improvement. I used ( and still do - into the Kisto) a Lejonklou Gaio into the Kinos. I had the USC alongside the Kinos too. I still have the USC feeding the Kisto. In all three examples the IUSC has been used as a Transport. Prior to the Exotik it was my pre-amp. I didn't think that it was bad - but it had a hard act to follow - the 5103 was a very good pre-amp - just an absolute pig in the user-friendly stakes!

I've never had a USC dynamik nor an Exotik dynamik and so can't say whether a USC dynamik is better than a Kinos - I somehow doubt it as the Kinos much better than the USC (non-D).