Apple TV to Akurate DS

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Allan3630

Re: Apple TV to Akurate DS

Post by Allan3630 »

Thanks for all the input!
I will stick with my Apple TV for now. If there are any "audio streaming for dummies" links which show how all the bips and bops fit together I'd love to hear about it.
You specifically need a Netgear GS108, not an "ethernet switch" as most worsen the music.
Is a Netgear GS108 not an ethernet switch?

Case closed.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Allan3630 wrote: 2021-03-13 21:02 Thanks for all the input!
I will stick with my Apple TV for now. If there are any "audio streaming for dummies" links which show how all the bips and bops fit together I'd love to hear about it.
You specifically need a Netgear GS108, not an "ethernet switch" as most worsen the music.

Case closed.
Is a switch necessary if you have enough router Ethernet ports?
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Circumstances forced my system/majik ds to a different room 2 floors above my standard sky router. Had to buy those plugs which transmit the signal over the mains. I'm sure it is far from ideal but tbh it sounds grand and I'm not technically minded enough to know away around it without running cables all over the place or spending a whack of money.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

John wrote: 2021-03-13 22:30
Allan3630 wrote: 2021-03-13 21:02 Thanks for all the input!

Case closed.
Is a switch necessary if you have enough router Ethernet ports?
Only if you want to improve the sound quality
I know that tune
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

I run my music through a dedicated network.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

John wrote: 2021-03-14 15:51 I run my music through a dedicated network.
That's a good idea, as you can choose the best sounding router without taking high speeds into account (which may be required by the many units of your main network). You also free the music network from some potentially nasty units that are on the main network.

You should, however, definitely try a Netgear GS-108T switch. It will very likely improve your music system significantly. Connect port 8 to your streamer, port 7 to your NAS (or perhaps the order of those two should be reversed, I keep forgetting which is optimal) and port 6 to your router.

The streamer should be powered by the same mains strip that powers your HiFi system. The router (if possible), switch and NAS should be powered by a different mains strip. Both strips should (if possible) be connected to wall outlets that are close to one another.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-03-14 23:51
John wrote: 2021-03-14 15:51 I run my music through a dedicated network.
That's a good idea, as you can choose the best sounding router without taking high speeds into account (which may be required by the many units of your main network). You also free the music network from some potentially nasty units that are on the main network.

You should, however, definitely try a Netgear GS-108T switch. It will very likely improve your music system significantly. Connect port 8 to your streamer, port 7 to your NAS (or perhaps the order of those two should be reversed, I keep forgetting which is optimal) and port 6 to your router.

The streamer should be powered by the same mains strip that powers your HiFi system. The router (if possible), switch and NAS should be powered by a different mains strip. Both strips should (if possible) be connected to wall outlets that are close to one another.
I take it you mean version 1 switch Fredrik .

I'm using old bog standard Netgear router for my network (non internet).Has anyone compared routers for sound quality, probably not?
I know that tune