We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New LP12 part (rumors)

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good afternoon Thomas,

I'm not sure if you noticed my question from yesterday (see below).
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-04 20:26
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-04 19:12That said we do know they are looking at other ways to improve the LP12 and its components, and I know they have done research on an even better cartridge than the Kandid (but one that would cost a lot more), but I have no idea what will see the light of day or when.
Good afternoon Thomas,

Does that mean if Linn makes a better (and more expensive) cartridge than the Kandid, it will replace the Kandid? And that could leave some people having to get the Krystal cartridge instead. But certainly exciting in any case, I would be up for getting a better sounding moving coil cartridge!

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-05 18:10 Except that they consider the 50th birthday to be in 2023, as they had the 45th birthday in 2018. I believe that Linn was incorporated in 1973 so they date it from there.
Maybe not then, although that's still only 2 years away.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-05 18:28 Good afternoon Thomas,

I'm not sure if you noticed my question from yesterday (see below).
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-04 20:26
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-04 19:12That said we do know they are looking at other ways to improve the LP12 and its components, and I know they have done research on an even better cartridge than the Kandid (but one that would cost a lot more), but I have no idea what will see the light of day or when.
Good afternoon Thomas,

Does that mean if Linn makes a better (and more expensive) cartridge than the Kandid, it will replace the Kandid? And that could leave some people having to get the Krystal cartridge instead. But certainly exciting in any case, I would be up for getting a better sounding moving coil cartridge!

Cheers!
I did see it but then got busy. So it goes in retail. First off I should say that a better cartridge than a Kandid is a long shot. What I know is that a few years ago a friend was at a Linn factory tour and in David Williamson's area there were a number of Kandid looking prototypes with things such as ruby cantilevers and other changes. David explained that they were playing around with different ideas for an improved Kandid. He also said he knew how to make a cartridge better than the Kandid but wasn't sure if there was really that much market for a $12,000 Linn phono cartridge! So they are trying out and working on various things but some things work, others don't, and some just aren't practical to put into production. The one piece aluminum plinth/top plate that they experimented with before the Keel, Trampolin 2 and Ekos SE came out is an example of a prototype that didn't make it to production. So I wouldn't hold my breath for that cartridge. Also if Linn were to make a $12,000 cartridge I would expect them to be sensible enough to keep the current Kandid in the line and just offer the higher priced one as an alternative for those who can afford $9000 every few years to keep their cartridge going.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-05 18:57 Also if Linn were to make a $12,000 cartridge............
then you'd better sign the temperance pledge pretty quick!!!
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for the insight Thomas, you answered all my questions. If a new cartridge could cost $12,000.00(US), keeping the Kandid makes plenty of sense. When you said the new cartridge would be more expensive than the Kandid, I didn't know how much more.
Tony Tune-age
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I suspect $12,000 would only be the start of the expenditure. You wouldn't hear its potential without a pair of Singularities...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

David Neel wrote: 2021-02-05 19:43 I suspect $12,000 would only be the start of the expenditure. You wouldn't hear its potential without a pair of Singularities...
Agreed, the Singularities (and mono preamps) before the cartridge.
Tony Tune-age
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

sktn77a wrote: 2021-02-04 20:36 From the horse's mouth (ThomasOK on the WAM):

"I checked into this and was informed by our Linn rep that there are currently no changes afoot for the LP12 at present. I was told not to expect any new upgrades for the LP12 in the immediate future as they just did the large upgrade of the Karousel under a year ago and the forced upgrade to the Majik LP12 in November."
As time goes by: In hindsight this is a great piece of information for us, to better understand the term "immediate future" in official Linn lingo. Applause to Thomas who was on target 🎯 with his info on a better-than-Kandid cartridge in the making.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Catweazle wrote: 2021-12-04 19:09
sktn77a wrote: 2021-02-04 20:36 From the horse's mouth (ThomasOK on the WAM):

"I checked into this and was informed by our Linn rep that there are currently no changes afoot for the LP12 at present. I was told not to expect any new upgrades for the LP12 in the immediate future as they just did the large upgrade of the Karousel under a year ago and the forced upgrade to the Majik LP12 in November."
As time goes by: In hindsight this is a great piece of information for us, to better understand the term "immediate future" in official Linn lingo. Applause to Thomas who was on target 🎯 with his info on a better-than-Kandid cartridge in the making.
+1
Tony Tune-age