Headphones and Hi Fi

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Headphones and Hi Fi

Post by u252agz »

I’ve never been into headphones but the Giella thread made me curious and I realised that some forum members had experience of quite a few sets of musical headphones.

So I ordered a set of Grado SR 125s and a cheap and cheerful Schitt Magni headphone amp and listened to the KDS/2 via my Sagatun Mono pre outs.

Wow - I was hooked . This was seriously good and very enjoyable . Musical and so so detailed . I find the intimacy quite compelling at times and closing ones eyes whilst listening a favourite album almost feels like one is being transported to another world.

It has made me realise that I often don’t listen to music when the family are around, as I feel quite antisocial locking myself away in the acoustically sealed music room whilst they are on the other side of the door watching TV or chatting .

As a result have tended to do most of my serious listening after 10 pm when they have retired upstairs to get ready for bed , and there is no one else downstairs. Or those rare occasions there is no one else in the house.

With the headphones however , I can listen during the day leaving the door of the room open and as a result feel less selfish and more social : the end result being that I listen to more music.

As this new way of listening was going so well- I then ordered some Grado RS2e headphones. This was a huge improvement on an already musical set of headphones and this weekend I am now trying Giella- with great success ( impressions of Giella will follow in that thread)

So I have gone from a sceptic of headphones to a total convert and am now appreciating why there is such a large headphone community out there.

To anyone who has never listened to music from their HiFi with headphones I would strongly suggest trying some Grado 125s with a good source and some of their favourite music.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s