New Linn Dynamik Power Supply

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

New Linn Dynamik Power Supply

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn have just announced the new Dynamik power supply which upgrades the performance of most of their electronics. The Dynamik is said to "optimise audio performance and reduce noise levels further" giving results which "are simply spectacular" allowing you to hear more of the music. It is also claimed that it "redefines Linn performance beyond all expectation". I take it from this they don't expect it to be thought of as a subtle upgrade!

The bottom of the pieces will indicate the inclusion of the Dynamik power supply and the supply itself has the Dynamik name on it (from the photo I've seen it looks like it might be engraved into the metal shield).

The Dynamik will come in the following products starting July 6th:

Klimax DS, Akurate DS, Majik DS
Akurate and Majik Power Amps
Akurate CD, UniDisk 1.1 and UniDisk SC
Classik Movie and Classik Music
Majik Integrated

It will also be incorporated into the Klimax Aktiv loudspeakers in mid-July and into the Klimax Kontrol in mid-August. Dates are projected so they could change somewhat.

There is no price increase associated with this upgrade - the prices of all the new products including the Dynamik power supply remain the same

Upgrade kits will be available for all the models listed above. In addition upgrades will be available for these discontinued models:

Ckakra Power Amps
UniDisk 2.1
Exotik
Artikulat Aktiv loudspeakers

The upgrades on all but the loudspeakers will be dealer installable and will sell for $700US. Anyone who purchased one of the current units from an authorized dealer between April 1st and June 30th of this year will be able to purchase the upgrade for half price as long as they order the upgrade by September 15th.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

No upgrade of Twin/Solo/Komri?
What the heck...
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The power supply for the Radikal is quite simple in construction compared to the Slimline Brilliants. I wonder if they've learned something from that which they're now applying to both low power electronics (DS, preamps, Unidisks) and power amps (Majik and Akurate amps)?

Perhaps using a switch IC that keeps track of both voltage and current? That's something I've never seen in a Linn SMPS, but the technology is great. Have one on my desk which uses that and it's fantastic. Unfortunately it's terribly expensive to manufacture and I don't know how to make it any cheaper...

I am missing some units in the list. Majik Kontrol or Linto should be possible to upgrade, no?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The Klimax Power amps have more sophisticated and expensive power supplies, especially the Solo which has to deliver much more power to the speaker. I would expect that whatever new technology is in these units will be adapted to the Klimax amps over time, but the upgrades will likely be more expensive. Then again, considering how long the Solos have been on the market without major changes, possibly a more significant upgrade is in the wings for them? (No, I don't have any inside knowledge of such a change - this is just wild speculation on my part.)

(You'll have to forgive me for copying my text between this forum and the Linn one but it is too much work to retype an answer I've already made. :wink: )
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:The power supply for the Radikal is quite simple in construction compared to the Slimline Brilliants. I wonder if they've learned something from that which they're now applying to both low power electronics (DS, preamps, Unidisks) and power amps (Majik and Akurate amps)?

Perhaps using a switch IC that keeps track of both voltage and current? That's something I've never seen in a Linn SMPS, but the technology is great. Have one on my desk which uses that and it's fantastic. Unfortunately it's terribly expensive to manufacture and I don't know how to make it any cheaper...

I am missing some units in the list. Majik Kontrol or Linto should be possible to upgrade, no?
You'll have to tell us what Linn did when you see it. My knowledge of electronics really isn't sophisticated enough to be able to tell what they are doing with the circuit.

Neither the Majik Kontrol nor the Majik CD are on the list. I suspect this is because they use a lesser power supply than the Akurate Kontrol, Akurate CD, etc. which I also suspect is part of why they don't sound as good as their bigger brothers. It is interesting, though, that the upgrade is coming out for the Majik Integrated. I wonder if there is any chance the new Majik-I will sound better than the Majik Kontrol/2100?

I see no reason why this new design couldn't be easily adapted to the Linto (or to the Ikemi, Genki, Kairn, etc. either) other than Linn not wanting to open up the whole LK box can of worms. Possibly with time they will support the older units that use essentially the same SMPS as units like the UniDisks. However, I doubt it would be very difficult for some clever person to adapt one of the new upgrades to some of these older units. :wink:
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

AFAIK some Slimline Brilliants had a 8-pin output and the newer ones had 10-pin output. How this will be handled? Are replacements available for both?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The power supply in Radikal, feeding motor and Urika, is labelled 'Miniline Universal PSU".

No sign of anything dynamik in that name...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Thomas,

what about upgrading the Radikal with the Dynamik Power Supply ?

KR

matthias
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote:Thomas,

what about upgrading the Radikal with the Dynamik Power Supply ?

KR

matthias
I don't believe the Dynamik is applicable to the Radikal or it likely would have come out at the same time. I believe the Radikal power supply, as it is designed to drive a motor, requires different technology that that used in the other devices but I could be wrong. It is also quite possible that some of the ideas that lead to the Dynamik came from designing the Radikal PS.

On the other hand, you have to wonder if a standalone Dynamik PS would enhance the musical performance of the Urika?

Maybe Linn will do another live Q&A with the engineers and clear up all these questions. We may also see some white paper from them explaining the technology. We shall see.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I am still waiting to listen and visually inspect a Dynamik power supply. Very curious about how it will sound! Linn have clarified that there are three versions of it, consisting of one model for power amplifiers, one for low power electronics (DS, preamps, CD players etc) and one special version of the low power model to physically fit the Klimax Kontrol (which has a cavity machined out that the Brilliant fits in, so you can't put anything bigger in there).

When it comes to the Radikal and the Majik Kontrol/Majik CD/Akurate Tuner, Linn seem to have big problems explaining what is what. Some have suggested that the cheaper and inferior-to-Brilliant power supply of Majik Kontrol/CD somehow resembles the new Dynamik power supply. And therefore, these machines don't need any Dynamik.

It's obvious that this is nonsense. Linn won't answer the questions regarding Majik Kontrol/CD, because they can't say it like it really is: If the Majik Kontrol is upgraded with a Dynamik, it will sound as good as an Akurate Kontrol. Or very close, because the main board of these two units are essentially the same, with the Majik having all the multi channel circuitry left out. And with a minimal performance difference, who would buy the Akurate Kontrol at twice the price?

Regarding the Radikal, it's obvious that any improvement in it's power supply will be very important indeed, as it's powering not only the motor but also the Urika. Right now I see two options:
Either the Miniline power supply is more or less identical to the low power Dynamik. The Miniline could have been made first and then the marketing guys invented the Dynamik name when it was decided to put it into other products.
Or the Miniline is inferior to the Dynamik, but Linn doesn't want to admit they can drastically improve the Radikal. Being a brand new product, people might demand to have their units upgraded for free. If this is the case, Linn will offer the Dynamik upgrade of Radikal later.

Regardless of how accurate or pointless my speculations are, I think it's a bit sad that we need to speculate about these things. I'd hate being in that situation myself, where I couldn't say it like it really is. Something I've tried staying clear of by being completely honest about my products - what is upgraded, to what exact version and always trying to maximise performance for a given cost (the opposite of dumbing down).
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote:I am still waiting to listen and visually inspect a Dynamik power supply. Very curious about how it will sound!
I think I have a teaser for you then :D

Compared a MDS/Dynamik with an old ADS yesterday and it's almost as good - and that despite just 2-3h running in.
I also compared a brand new (0h) 2200/D with an old 2200 and it was better.
Apart from the enhanced musicality the new amp reminded me of an active system; live/dynamic/detailed.
Very nice, me like! :mrgreen:
Dynamik is definitely a good name on the amp PSU.

Looking forward comparing again when the dynamik'ed products have been running for some weeks.
TMV

Post by TMV »

lejonklou wrote: Linn have clarified that there are three versions of it, consisting of one model for power amplifiers, one for low power electronics (DS, preamps, CD players etc) and one special version of the low power model to physically fit the Klimax Kontrol.
So what about the Music and Movie? Two dynamics?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

TMV wrote:
lejonklou wrote: Linn have clarified that there are three versions of it, consisting of one model for power amplifiers, one for low power electronics (DS, preamps, CD players etc) and one special version of the low power model to physically fit the Klimax Kontrol.
So what about the Music and Movie? Two dynamics?
The Dynamics for the Classik Movie and Music are likely variants of the power amp version as it would have to power their internal power amps along with the CD/Tuner/Preamp stages. This is also true of the Majik Integrated.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hello,
last night I've installed a new Dynamik PS in my Chakra 2200, currently driving Aku 242s.

I confess I'm quite excited with the results, the amp improves both where it was already great - tunefulness- and where probably was a bit lacking compared with some of the competition - drive, dynamics, live feeling.
It becomes tighter, faster, more articulate and powerful, and at the same time considerably cleaner and less distorted. It delivers power effortlessly, with much better bass control and drive. At the same time it's more informative overall. Sound also is better, with a smoother presentation -not softer at all, just less distorted - great voices and more fosused, more detail.
The more I listen to it, the more I feel it's a substantial musical upgrade. Well done Linn!

Paolo
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: Regarding the Radikal, it's obvious that any improvement in it's power supply will be very important indeed, as it's powering not only the motor but also the Urika.
Or the Miniline is inferior to the Dynamik, but Linn doesn't want to admit they can drastically improve the Radikal. Being a brand new product, people might demand to have their units upgraded for free. If this is the case, Linn will offer the Dynamik upgrade of Radikal later.
Fredrik,
it would be a nice experiment to check the voltages of the Radikal PS and the Dynamik PS and if identical to connect the Dynamik PS with the Radikal board.........

KR

matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes. If the Miniline PS indeed differs significantly from the Dynamik PS in construction, I think someone sooner or later will make just that experiment.
Komri

Post by Komri »

I have a Kisto and would realy like to test with a Dynamik... is it possible?

...if not official...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Komri wrote:I have a Kisto and would realy like to test with a Dynamik... is it possible?

...if not official...
Check the voltages at the 10 pin-Connector of the old PS and compare with the voltages at the Connector of the Dynamik PS. If they have the same value you can connect the Dynamik and enjoy the better sound quality.

KR

matthias
Komri

Post by Komri »

matthias wrote:
Komri wrote:I have a Kisto and would realy like to test with a Dynamik... is it possible?

...if not official...
Check the voltages at the 10 pin-Connector of the old PS and compare with the voltages at the Connector of the Dynamik PS. If they have the same value you can connect the Dynamik and enjoy the better sound quality.

KR

matthias
I´m not good comparing voltages. But, do anyone know if Kisto have the same PSU as any other Linnproduct that is upgradeble with the new Dynamik PSU? if so... that could be the way to go...?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Komri wrote:
matthias wrote:

...if not official...

KR

matthias
I´m not good comparing voltages. But, do anyone know if Kisto have the same PSU as any other Linnproduct that is upgradeble with the new Dynamik PSU? if so... that could be the way to go...?
I think if the Kisto has the 10-way-connector from board to the PS you can use the new Dynamik.

KR

matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, I forgot to answer this.

No, I think the Kisto (and Kinos) demands too much power from the low power Dynamik.

My guess is that Linn have made two power supplies that they label Dynamik. One low power, which will handle not more than around 25-30 watts (not enough for a Kisto or Kinos) and one for power amps. They may very well be two very different designs, but are both marketed under the same name.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote: My guess is that Linn have made two power supplies that they label Dynamik.
Then you have a third version (for KK) and last, the Klimax/Artikulat speaker PSU modules.
Likely these are modifications based on the two original "low/high power" dynamik's.
Quite sure we can expect dynamiks for other products in the future...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

More dynamik demos...
1/
ADS/D (one week old) was more musical than KDS but not as sweet sounding.
KDS/D is a killer! Heard 2 units, one brand new (well one week old) that wasn't good at all, then an old KDS that had the new dynamik PSU. WOW!

So be careful a new KDS/D needs burn in!

2/
2200/D (one week old) was more musical and powerful than a Twin (brand new from the box) but the Twin was better sounding. Quite a bit actually.
The Twin got better during the demo - need to compare again when both units are burned in.

Dynamik is GREAT! Well done linn :!:

The shop had a spanking new black KK/D, need to visit again bringing my own KK.
Black is beautiful!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I heard Dynamik the other night..very impressed with Majik set up and the wee entry speakers.Linn say the dynamic comes from what they learned from developing the radikal so the rad in effect has it...Dyn. akurate ds very close to no Dyn. Klimax ds but still not as good as.The one thing I did find interesting was that improvement in power supplys are greater in the source then the power amp and then the pre amp..so that has put to rest why for all those years I wondered why I didnt feel upgrading my power supply in the kairn would make that much of a difference..still havent heard radikal yet; to do that I need to go to the factory 'have lunch then listen'..? :roll:
I know that tune
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:More dynamik demos...
1/
ADS/D (one week old) was more musical than KDS but not as sweet sounding.
KDS/D is a killer! Heard 2 units, one brand new (well one week old) that wasn't good at all, then an old KDS that had the new dynamik PSU. WOW!

So be careful a new KDS/D needs burn in!

2/
2200/D (one week old) was more musical and powerful than a Twin (brand new from the box) but the Twin was better sounding. Quite a bit actually.
The Twin got better during the demo - need to compare again when both units are burned in.

Dynamik is GREAT! Well done linn :!:

The shop had a spanking new black KK/D, need to visit again bringing my own KK.
Black is beautiful!
Black is indeed beautiful. :)

Any more chance to compare the Twin with the 2200/D? Since the Dynamik should make a fair improvement to the 2200 and it's circuitry is similar to the Twin it will be interesting to find out just how close they are.

I haven't really had a chance to play around with Dynamiks yet here. I received one upgrade for an Akurate Kontrol that should be fitted soon but that's about it. I will be getting a Dynamik for my KK/1 but they are currently on back-order so I don't know how soon I'll see it.

It's certainly good to see Linn back into coming out with substantive upgrades for most of their products.