New Linn Dynamik Power Supply

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great post Fredrik. Very coherent as always. I like the term "digital stiffness" too.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks, Charlie!

Just upgraded an Akurate Kontrol with Dynamik. Quite a bit more tuneful! The difference is similar to what it did on the 1.1; tighter, cleaner and more dynamic.

I am not surprised that Thomas found the AK/D close to the original KK. The last (very early) KK I heard in my system was better than a (late) AK, but the difference was not as big as I expected it to be. With Dynamik in the AK, I feel a bit unsure of which one I'd prefer.

I think the AK still sounds a bit more distorted than any KK, and the Dynamik doesn't really change that. But it adds energy and my guess is that the AK/D will sound a bit more impressive, while an early KK will be more polished and correct - and possibly slightly more tuneful.

As I haven't done any direct comparison, please take this with a grain of salt.
dastrix

Post by dastrix »

Hello all

I just received my first Klimax gear, Kontrol/1 with Dynamik. 100% factory.

Its fantastic, blowing me away with a Logitech Duet.. Im now hunting for a Akurate DS with Dynamik.

I think ill also upgrade my C2200 with Dynamik!
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Low Power Dynamik, differences?

Post by k_numigl »

The reason for this post is:

Linn removed the Exotik (non DA version) from the list of equipment which
can be upgraded with a Dynamik PSU.

This seems to be related to some problems with the storage of user
specific settings after changing to the Dynamik (Exotik forgets them when
switching power completely off). But this is not necessarily a problem to
all end users.

Does someone know if it is technically possible to use a 'Dynamik
for Exotik DA' in a non-DA Exotik. Are they just the same?
As I understood from previous posts, the PCB is the same for all low
power Dynamiks. Are the cable looms also identical?

Regards, Klaus
ahaa

Post by ahaa »

This is the same problem I experience with my Unidisk SC after uprade to Dynamik. SC uses the same Dynamik version as AK...
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

I have learned and can confirm that it is possible to store a set up
as 'installer setup' and recall it from there after periods of having
switched off a Dynamiked Exotik. This works without any problems.
Perhaps this is a possiblility for the Unidisk as well? Did you test
this already?
Regards, Klaus
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:
monkeydevil wrote:ThomasOK,
have you had the chance to listen to the Akurate Kontrol with Dynamik yet? I am really curious as to how it performs!
Since the Akurate DS/D gets very close to the KDS without Dynamik, one starts hoping the Akurate Kontrol would be close to the Klimax Kontrol.... :P
I was finally able to install my customer's Dynamik upgrade in his Akurate Kontrol yesterday evening. I wasn't able to do a lot of comparison but I dis listen to the AK without Dynamik a bit first and then did an A/A with it, then installed the Dynamik and did a B of the same track. I have to say that the improvement was quite substantial. While the power amp comparison was impressive, being more musical, cleaner and more powerful, I really felt the change to the AK seemed greater to me.

What I find the Dynamik doing in all cases is improving the audibility of low level musical information such as nuances of playing, harmonic structure of notes played, vibrations of instrument bodies, etc. that make the music sound more real, more present. Is seems as if it has banished some low level noise and distortion that I wasn't aware of until I heard it removed. In this way it is very similar to the upgrades created by the KK/1 upgrade and the Radikal - although not as big a change as those, especially the Radikal.

Getting back to the AK, I also compared the newly Dynamiked AK to a demo original KK. I have to say the AK came surprisingly close. The delivery of low level detail and overall musicality seemed to be pretty much in the same league. I won't say that the AK/D was the equal of the KK, the KK still had a flow and smoothness to it that made the music sound that bit more real, but the performance of the two were close enough that the AK/D certainly has nothing to be ashamed of - especially at the price. A very worthwhile upgrade indeed!
Since my Akurate Kontrol preamplifier arrived the Dynamik power supply already installed, I can't conduct a "before and after" evaluation. But overall it sounds very nice indeed :!: As such, I appreciate and respect the new Dynamik power supply evaluation process which has been conducted by ThomasOK and others 8) .
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Since I currently have a first generation Klimax Kontrol at home, I can confirm that it's indeed a bit better than the AK/D. Musically, they're not that far apart. The two seem to have a slightly different focus but both are very much in tune and bringing out the message of the music.

In terms of sounding clean and dynamic, however, KK has the edge at all times.

Now I wonder: Has anybody heard an original KK upgraded with Dynamik? That is, without the much more costly /1 main board upgrade.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I haven't heard that upgrade but will soon. I have an original KK coming in for the Dynamik upgrade in the next week or two and will do before and after listening to it. I'll report back with my findings.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:I haven't heard that upgrade but will soon. I have an original KK coming in for the Dynamik upgrade in the next week or two and will do before and after listening to it. I'll report back with my findings.
Have you been able conduct the above mentioned comparison yet?
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Unfortunately not yet - some people just don't get things into you when you want them to.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:Unfortunately not yet - some people just don't get things into you when you want them to.
I totally understand Thomas... :!: Of course, it's always better late than never 8) .
Tony Tune-age
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

ThomasOK wrote:Unfortunately not yet - some people just don't get things into you when you want them to.
Are you saying they are not very Dynamik?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

anthony wrote:
Are you saying they are not very Dynamik?
Nice... 8)
Tony Tune-age
mdemeyer

Power Supply Pin-Outs

Post by mdemeyer »

Anyone have the pin-outs for the connector that runs from the SMPS (same for Dynamik, I believe) to the amplifier modules? Looking to use an SMPS that was removed for an upgrade for another project.

Thanks!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi mdemeyer and welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by 'amplifier modules'? What product is this?
EA

Re: New Linn Dynamik Power Supply

Post by EA »

I have a C6100/D and a stock C2200. Thought I would try to swop the 2 power supplies. And try to get the C2200 to really sing.

Can anyone confirm that the stock and the Dynamik power supply for a C6100 and a C2200 is the exact same?
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

EA
Would it not be cheaper and safer to just pay to upgrade the C2200?
You could blow up both, and the resale price of either will be affected.

Or preferably sell them both now, and buy a Freddie-box. My Tundra 2 is superior to my 2200 Dynamic in every way. Ozzzy did a home comparison last year, and the Lejonklou had to stay. I had a brand new one delivered here the next day in York from Chris at Hidden Systems, so I could give Ozzzy his own one back!

donuk sunny downtown York
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I can certainly agree with donuk about getting a Tundra. However, I am pretty certain that the same Dynamik works for all applicable amps except the Klimax units. This means the Chakra amps, Akurate and Majik power amps and Majik integrated units. I believe the 5125 and 2250 are included as well.

This is from memory and I don't have the official data in front of me. So you might want to verify further.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
EA

Post by EA »

ThomasOK wrote:I can certainly agree with donuk about getting a Tundra. However, I am pretty certain that the same Dynamik works for all applicable amps except the Klimax units. This means the Chakra amps, Akurate and Majik power amps and Majik integrated units. I believe the 5125 and 2250 are included as well.

This is from memory and I don't have the official data in front of me. So you might want to verify further.
I wouldt say that the 5125 and 2250 are not the same as the Chakra...
More input are welcome!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

You could check with the Linn Helpline to get a definitive answer.

I swapped a Dynamik PSU in a C6100 with a legacy PSU in a C4200 several years ago and the 4200/D is still working fine today. I sold the 6100.

I took anti-static precautions when doing the swap.
EA

Post by EA »

Charlie1 wrote:You could check with the Linn Helpline to get a definitive answer.

I swapped a Dynamik PSU in a C6100 with a legacy PSU in a C4200 several years ago and the 4200/D is still working fine today. I sold the 6100.

I took anti-static precautions when doing the swap.
That is kind of the same swop, thanks. It looks like both x100 and x200 all have Max rated input on 300W

I will try the Linn helpline, thanks.
kct

Post by kct »

How many different types of dynamik are there. Presumably the power amps are different from say a pre amp etc etc also I know for a fact that one from an AK will not fit a KK as its too big and KK was never machined to have its Dynamik fitted.
anyone know ?
EA

Post by EA »

After e-mailing to Linn helpline, I can confirm that all Chakra X100 and X200 uses the same power supply. Stock and Dynamik.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

kct wrote:How many different types of dynamik are there. Presumably the power amps are different from say a pre amp etc etc also I know for a fact that one from an AK will not fit a KK as its too big and KK was never machined to have its Dynamik fitted.
anyone know ?
I forget some of the details. I'm sure there used to be a Linn webpage that listed them but can't find it anymore. The KK has its own, so does the Radikal (miniline PSU) although the latter will fit in a couple of other products such as MK but this is not supported by Linn.
The solos must have their own, KCT as well I guess.
Otherwise I can't recall. Were there two basic variants? One for amps like x100/x200 and one for preamps and Akurate CD/Unidisk etc.?