Luxman PD-171 Cartridge Advice

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ppilarski

Luxman PD-171 Cartridge Advice

Post by ppilarski »

I recently purchased a Luxman PD-171a turntable with the OEM Jelco like tonearm (some say a variant of the 250). I am looking for advice on proper MM cartridge matching for the following gear:

Luxman PD 171a
Lejonklou Slipsik 7.1
Linn Silver IC
Lejonklou Boazu
Linn K200 cables
Devore 3XL

The obvious choice is the Linn Adikt, but I am not sure it the tonearm is appropriate. Clearaudio and Ortofon are on my short list as well. At some point, it might be fun to experiment with a Linn tonearm on the table, but at that point, I may just be better off swapping for an LP12.

Most of my experience in the past has been with DL 103s, both Denon and Zu variants, running a SUT to an MM phono.

Thank you
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Luxman PD-171 Cartridge Advice

Post by tokenbrit »

ppilarski wrote: 2020-12-31 23:27 I recently purchased a Luxman PD-171a turntable with the OEM Jelco like tonearm (some say a variant of the 250). I am looking for advice on proper MM cartridge matching for the following gear:

Luxman PD 171a
Lejonklou Slipsik 7.1
Linn Silver IC
Lejonklou Boazu
Linn K200 cables
Devore 3XL

The obvious choice is the Linn Adikt, but I am not sure it the tonearm is appropriate. Clearaudio and Ortofon are on my short list as well. At some point, it might be fun to experiment with a Linn tonearm on the table, but at that point, I may just be better off swapping for an LP12.

Most of my experience in the past has been with DL 103s, both Denon and Zu variants, running a SUT to an MM phono.

Thank you
I don't know about "matching" to the Luxman, but a lot of good forum folk here have been happy with the AT-VM95 - at the price is has to be worth checking out. HNY.
ppilarski

Post by ppilarski »

Thank you @tokenbrit, I will check it out and HNY to you too!
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

The Jelco arm is a medium mass arm suited to most moving coil and moving magnet cartridges. I wouldn't over-analyse the selection of cartridge. An Adikt should work wondefully, as would the AT, Clearaudio and Ortofons. The Denon is probably the most questionable because of its very low compliance.
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Until recently the Majik LP12 came with an arm made by Jelco based on the 250ST and the Adikt worked just fine with that. Your arm is likely to be a bit higher mass due to the removable headshell but I expect an Adikt would still be a very good choice.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ppilarski

Post by ppilarski »

Thanks all, I ended up purchasing a used Clearaudio Maestro wood (v1) from someone that moved to the v2 to experiment with since it was much cheaper than a new Adikt.

Specifications
Frequency range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Output voltage: ~3.6 mV
Channel separation: >30 dB
Channel balance: <0.2 dB
Trackability: >90 µm
Recommended tracking force: 2.2 g
Electrical impedance: 0.66 kOhms
Coil inductivity: 42 H
Load resistance: 47 kOhms
Load capacitance: 100 pF
Cantilever: Boron
Total mass: 7.0 g (wood) ith.
Compliance: 15

I am looking forward to trying it out. Thoughts are welcome. Should receive my Boazu Monday, much more excited about this.