Switching Things Up?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Switching Things Up?

Post by tokenbrit »

Challengers have come and gone; the GS108T has stood up to all comers as the playground 'big kid' of network musicality, so the question is: which one?

As the owner of a GS108, sans T, is there consensus between v1, v2, & v3 of the GS108T as to which is the one to get? I believe the recommendation was always the GS108T-200; not the 100...

A year, or more, ago, Netgear released the GS108T-300 - wondering if anyone has compared GS108T versions 2 & 3, or if anyone (else) has found the GS108v4 (non-T) to be a contender (as reported by Ron)?

So, what say the collective: are there any good results to report with the GS108Tv3, or do I take my wallet's life in my hands & search the 'net for a new(ish) v2?
markiteight

Re: Switching Things Up?

Post by markiteight »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-12-29 00:11 So, what say the collective: are there any good results to report with the GS108Tv3, or do I take my wallet's life in my hands & search the 'net for a new(ish) v2?
If you choose to go this route I have two new in open box units that are surplus to my needs.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks. PM sent
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

How do the managed switches ("T" models) compare to the non-managed switches (non-"T" models, eg GS108)?
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

The consensus has long been that the GS108T is better musically than the GS108 non-T, and other switches.

There are newer versions of both now, so I was asking whether the latest iterations change things at all, or is the GS108T v2 still top dog.

With markiteight's help, we're aiming to answer your question, sktn77a, so stay tuned ;)
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

Old thread. Any news? I’m on the lookout for a new switch, but the Netgear GS108T-200 seems impossible to get hold of nowadays. Anyone compared the preferred v2 to the v3 that is available?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

Cheers Spannko!
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

No deliveries outside UK at the moment due to Brexit unfortunately…
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-29 21:55 The V2 is available here:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/8-port ... art-switch
The website shows V2 - but it is V3 which was delivered to me.

My existing version is GS108 ( without the T) so will give it a go - as soon as I get over my fears of disturbing a well running Network!
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

u252agz wrote: 2021-07-03 10:21
Spannko wrote: 2021-06-29 21:55 The V2 is available here:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/8-port ... art-switch
The website shows V2 - but it is V3 which was delivered to me.

My existing version is GS108 ( without the T) so will give it a go - as soon as I get over my fears of disturbing a well running Network!
Important piece of information! I tried asking them if it really was v2 the delivered, but didn’t get any answer. Then your comparison between GS108 and GS108T v3 and ultimately the comparison between GS108T v2 and v3 would be very interesting!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Ok - Netgear GS108T V3 Vs my old GS108.

No contest.

Straight out of the box , GS108T V3 wins by a country mile.

So much more musical and with better sound as a bonus.

Let’s see what the outcome is between V2 and V3 .

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2021-07-03 14:29 Ok - Netgear GS108T V3 Vs my old GS108.

No contest.

Straight out of the box , GS108T V3 wins by a country mile...

Let’s see what the outcome is between V2 and V3 .
Thanks for that. Curious to know the outcome between 108T V2 and V3, too. Out of interest, what version of 'old GS108' was soundly (& musically ;) beaten by the 108T V3?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

It says GS108 v4 on the back.

When i ordered it a few years ago - i did not realise there were T versions which were supposed to be better, and just assumed I had the Lejonklou recommended switch!

One can never relax with Digital - there is always something to optimise.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote: 2021-07-03 21:05 One can never relax with Digital - there is always something to optimise.
Truer words have not been written.

My aim is that you should all be able to relax when you have Källa, but I know that I never will.

We discovered long ago that exactly when and how you flash the update into the memory when doing a firmware upgrade seriously affects the musical performance. That was solved by finding the optimal hardware state and add a routine that waited for that state to appear and then flash the memory during that state.

The latest discoveries along the same path resulted in a dedicated station, hardware and software optimized, for programming new Källa's. This has improved performance yet another step. The mechanisms involved are rather mysterious, as now we're not dealing with the moving data that will be converted to music, but the static data of the program that will later handle the moving data. So one more dimension further away from the music, but still it has a profound effect.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-07-04 02:55
The latest discoveries along the same path resulted in a dedicated station, hardware and software optimized, for programming new Källa's. This has improved performance yet another step. The mechanisms involved are rather mysterious, as now we're not dealing with the moving data that will be converted to music, but the static data of the program that will later handle the moving data. So one more dimension further away from the music, but still it has a profound effect.
Is this a bit like getting different results using different programs to deliver the music (normal, shuffle, program) from my cd player?

The programming of the different programs used by the cd player has an impact on the final sound coming out of the speakers.
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-07-04 02:55 We discovered long ago that exactly when and how you flash the update into the memory when doing a firmware upgrade seriously affects the musical performance. That was solved by finding the optimal hardware state and add a routine that waited for that state to appear and then flash the memory during that state.

Fredrik,
this is extremely interesting.
You mentioned recently that firmware upgrades of Källa can be done by the user via the web browser.
Does this update then affect musical performance in the context of your post above and what can be done by the user to optimise it?
Or does it mean that all Källas must be sent back to factory for firmware upgrades?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote: 2021-07-04 06:34Is this a bit like getting different results using different programs to deliver the music (normal, shuffle, program) from my cd player?

The programming of the different programs used by the cd player has an impact on the final sound coming out of the speakers.
I don't know the details of how your CD player works. The reason could be the program, but it could also be something more basic, like different LEDs activated on the display?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2021-07-04 08:05Fredrik,
this is extremely interesting.
You mentioned recently that firmware upgrades of Källa can be done by the user via the web browser.
Does this update then affect musical performance in the context of your post above and what can be done by the user to optimise it?
Or does it mean that all Källas must be sent back to factory for firmware upgrades?
Thanks

Matt
Thankfully not!

Firmware updates over the internet work just fine and don't upset the musical performance. The reason is likely that updates only affect a tiny part of the code and only that part of the memory is rewritten.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-07-04 02:55
u252agz wrote: 2021-07-03 21:05 One can never relax with Digital - there is always something to optimise.
Truer words have not been written.

My aim is that you should all be able to relax when you have Källa, but I know that I never will.

We discovered long ago that exactly when and how you flash the update into the memory when doing a firmware upgrade seriously affects the musical performance. That was solved by finding the optimal hardware state and add a routine that waited for that state to appear and then flash the memory during that state.

This very encouraging indeed.

With Spotify in the UK and my newfound network switch - Digital has never sounded so musical, and even good classical recordings are becoming enjoyable to listen to, using KDS/2 as a streamer. Even the sneakys are reasonable, with their DVC disabled.

I have felt for sometime that Digital has the potential for massive improvement and if Kalla is a significant step in that direction, it is going to become rather popular, and a ‘must have’ item for those of us with digital networks.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s