Christmas recording

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Christmas recording

Post by beck »

While waiting for ThomasOK and his Charlie Brown Christmas record clip played on his reassembled hifi system (without it Christmas will not be the same!), we could post a clip playing something related to our own Christmas.

Mine is from a TV production called “The Julekalender” featuring some goblins singing in distorted english.
It contains 24 episodes and was/is quite popular in Denmark. Norway made their own cover version of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g37iyx8btbcx ... 9.mov?dl=0

Merry Christmas to all! :-)
Last edited by beck on 2020-12-29 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Linntek

Re: Christmas recording

Post by Linntek »

OMG. I have the soundtrack on vinyl.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Linntek wrote: 2020-12-22 14:01 OMG. I have the soundtrack on vinyl.
Please post a clip Linntek and the rest of you. It would be nice to hear what different people listen to at Christmas. :-)

To maffe: does Kaos like anything that has to do with Christmas?
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Good idea for a thread.

Sounds great and I really enjoyed it right up until the chorus 😁

I think I only have one Christmas album. The late 80s Aids charity LP. Think it's called Red Hot and Blue.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-22 19:57
Sounds great and I really enjoyed it right up until the chorus 😁
Yes, there are limits to what I can get out of a cheap cd player especially when playing it a bit too loud in my room. :-)

Here is the original:

https://youtu.be/kdsrKXCOFrw

Question: what is the right word for the persons in the video? Gnome or Goblin?
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2020-12-22 20:16
Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-22 19:57Sounds great and I really enjoyed it right up until the chorus 😁
Yes, there are limits to what I can get out of a cheap cd player especially when playing it a bit too loud in my room. :-)
Wasn't a reference to your system beck, just the song 😀
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-22 21:04
beck wrote:
Charlie1 wrote: Sounds great and I really enjoyed it right up until the chorus 😁
Wasn't a reference to your system beck, just the song 😀
Thank you for clarifying Charlie1.

Question continued: .........or is it elf?
Playing cd’s…………
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

This Christmas tune is brought to you by the letter K:

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 914#p52914
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Merry Christmas to all!

As tradition has it, from my mother and her mother before that, this song is played on the evening (Midnight) of the 23rd.

While originally always broadcast on Swedish radio, a cd was eventually purchased.

This year I have upped the game with a newly acquired 45, which looks like it’s seen a few Christmases. Very fitting, wouldn’t want it too shiny.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r76g7i5q1rjb ... QSnfa?dl=0
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

beck wrote: 2020-12-22 13:15 While waiting for ThomasOK and his Charlie Brown Christmas record clip played on his reassembled hifi system (without it Christmas will not be the same!), we could post a clip playing something related to our own Christmas.

Mine is from a TV production called “The Julekalender” featuring some goblins singing in distorted english.
It contains 24 episodes and was/is quite popular in Denmark. Norway made their own cover version of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/72aoyohoi8z8h ... 7.mov?dl=0

Merry Christmas to all! :-)
That piece is a lot of fun. And I learned a bit about what a nisse is.

No pressure on me there, beck!

The good news is that my arm returned yesterday and appears to be in fine shape. Since we only work a half day tomorrow I will have time to get it and the Kandid reinstalled in time for some Christmas music, but you probably won't see it until tomorrow.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I am glad you liked it ThomasOK and that you are picking up the glove that I threw at you! :-)

OscarH wrote: 2020-12-23 17:18 Merry Christmas to all!

As tradition has it, from my mother and her mother before that, this song is played on the evening (Midnight) of the 23rd.

While originally always broadcast on Swedish radio, a cd was eventually purchased.

This year I have upped the game with a newly acquired 45, which looks like it’s seen a few Christmases. Very fitting, wouldn’t want it too shiny.

Great story and piece of music OscarH! Can you tell me a little more about that piece?
Playing cd’s…………
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

beck wrote: 2020-12-23 21:45 I am glad you liked it ThomasOK and that you are picking up the glove that I threw at you! :-)

Great story and piece of music OscarH! Can you tell me a little more about that piece?
What we’re listening to is Swedish tenor extraordinaire Jussi Björling recorded in 1959 (at Stockholm Concert Hall, according to the sleeve notes) singing “Adams Julsång”, perhaps better known as “O helga natt”/“Oh holy night”.

A true Christmas classic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

OscarH wrote: 2020-12-23 21:54
beck wrote: 2020-12-23 21:45 I am glad you liked it ThomasOK and that you are picking up the glove that I threw at you! :-)

What we’re listening to is Swedish tenor extraordinaire Jussi Björling recorded in 1959 (at Stockholm Concert Hall, according to the sleeve notes) singing “Adams Julsång”, perhaps better known as “O helga natt”/“Oh holy night”.

Exakt that version was played at “Melodikrysset” this Saturday 😊
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

maffe wrote: 2020-12-23 22:18
OscarH wrote: 2020-12-23 21:54

Exakt that version was played at “Melodikrysset” this Saturday 😊
I have a strong suspicion that the core listeners got that question ;)

It’s been a while since I listened to that show; another classic and great memory.

I feel the Christmas spirit coming now, despite all other crap.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Rather than inflict some 80s artists on you all, I remembered that I often played this near Christmas. Had to check it's even a Christmas song but seems many people associate it with this time. I always play it quietly so forgive the occasional raindrop on the window. Back to 1940 for this recording...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqskqz9r0nva6 ... 3.MOV?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I wanted more when it stopped! :-)

Ave Maria by Schubert. Lovely. The Fantasia version is song by Julietta Novis and conducted by Leopold Stokowski!

Wanting more I found this:

https://youtu.be/8xXkB-ncF2g

With all that is happening in the world we need beauty like this to believe in the good of mankind.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, sorry beck, manic getting ready for tomorrow day.

Agree, the old hand drawn disney annimation is wonderful, especially this movie.

Ave Maria is just wonderful after the fright of Night on Bald Mountain.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, Ave Maria is very nice. Although Night On Bald Mountain was always my favorite from that movie.
The LP12 Whisperer
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Another modern Christmas classic in Sweden
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Nqh ... X-1280.mp4
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Very nice sounding system maffe (and good cat training).
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-26 00:16 Very nice sounding system maffe (and good cat training).
Thx Charlie!
Cats and boxes, no training needed he just love that box so I just moved it to the music room :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

maffe wrote: 2020-12-25 18:05 Another modern Christmas classic in Sweden
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Nqh ... X-1280.mp4
Great to hear all these different takes on Christmas songs! Thank you maffe. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you everyone for sharing these inspiring songs!

It's been a strange Christmas but every time I have listened they've made me smile.

Hard to pick a favourite, but OscarH's Jussi Björling is one of them. Lots of stories in Sweden about how powerful his voice was when you heard him live.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Merry Christmas everyone! I apologize for the disappointment I must have caused by not getting up a song or two from my system. The disappointment was just as strong for me as my system is still not returned to normal setup. I had planned to get it up and running and should have had time as I was off at 3:00PM on Christmas Eve. When I arrived home I set about cooking a quiche for Christmas dinner, preparing some ingredients for another dish to be cooked on Christmas, feeding Bella and meditating. After a light dinner I grabbed the arm and found the cartridge and counterweight (after a little searching). I reinstalled the cartridge and torqued it properly then fit the tip for setting the arm height screw so I could remove the Ekos 2/Adikt and install the Ekos SE/1 and Kandid. This is when 2020 let me know it wasn't done with me yet! As I was adjusting the driver from 1.0 -5 to 1.6+1 it froze/jammed/stuck around 1.4 and refused to go forward or back! I could not get it to work at all. I have a second screwdriver but I had never calibrated it and it had always been a fair bit off. I would just set it to one spot that I used a lot and was in the upper range of torques by comparing it against the main driver until I got them the same. Originally that had been 3.8-2 for Cirkus to Keel but more recently it was 2.6+5 for the Karousel to Keel. But although it was set at 2.6+5 it was reading more like 2.4+5. And it was equally off near 4.0. But it didn't matter because of how I used it. But now it mattered.

So I thought I'd take it down five notches and then adjust the plastic indicator to be right on 2.6. Yeah, that's what I thought I'd do. But the plastic indicator didn't want to move that much, indeed didn't seem to want to thread in or out at all, yet it did feel loose. This caused me to find out that some previous nutcase owner of the driver had broken the plastic guide. OK, well I have a good indicator on the broken driver I can just swap onto this one. Not so fast. Whatever idiot broke this one had apparently decided to glue it back together! The top part came off but the bottom was still in there and didn't want to just thread out.

Cue in an hour and a half or so of time that included: digging out tiny bits of plastic with a tiny screwdriver until I finally got the bottom section loose and was able to thread it out (showing that at least the metal threads weren't glued up), losing not one but both of the tiny set screws into the chair I was sitting in, finally finding both of them by feeling around in the cushions but not before setting the chair on a relatively new King Crimson double album in such a way as to completely destroy the jacket (although not the vinyl), and threading the plastic on the newer driver setting it at the 2.6 reading I left it at. Then adjusting it to 1.6+1.

By this time I was too tired to want to play with a $9700 arm/cartridge so instead I headed for bed, passing a kidney stone on the way (the first time I have ever had one). Luckily it wasn't painful, just felt a little weird.

On Christmas I slept in, did some dog walking, opened presents with my friend Simon, cooked a Winter Vegetable Gratin dish, had a lovely dinner, played some music and decided I was once again too weary to attack the turntable. And now I'm back to work for the day. So I will have to delay my Christmas music post until sometime in the next few days, but I will get a couple of clips up here, after all the season isn't over yet. I will also be ordering up a couple more torque drivers including a new one for a change.

So I have had a death in the family. I have to pay my condolences to the Richmont Sturtevant CAL 36/4 driver that started it all. (I thought of starting this post with these two sentences and decided it would not be a good way to start a post this year!) This is the first driver that I bought and the one I used when I discovered the importance of torques to LP12s, and then other turntables, electronics and speakers over a short time. I always wondered if I would take a chance on flying with this in my luggage as this was basically the world standard torque driver - the one I calibrated three of Fredrik's drivers against and he then calibrated Paolo's against. The one that is the basis of the torques I have shared with dozens of people around the world. I don't have to worry about taking that chance any more, but I will now have to spend some time seeing how close this driver (and the next couple I will get) are to it so that I know where all the settings have to be. It will make my torque work take a little longer for a bit until I am comfortable that I am hitting all the correct torques. I almost think I should encase the driver that started it all, and that has served me faithfully for 17 years, in epoxy resin and make it a monument.

So there's quite a different Christmas story for you. No animals were harmed in the making of this story, but one torque driver expired! :-(
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you for trying ThomasOK! :-)
Playing cd’s…………