questions re: breakin

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

artikulate

questions re: breakin

Post by artikulate »

Hi,

For anyone who had klimax kontrol upgraded and artikulate 350A upgraded---what was the approximate breakin period and what kind of changes did you hear along the way---just curious!!! Thanks!! Also what do board members feel is the breakin period for silver ics and what changes did you hear along the way!!

Ron
Ron C.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Hi Ron.
The KK upgrade was smooth. It was just fantastic from day one (when warm) and just got a bit better. Some products have been very up/down until stabaliced and also evolving a lot but not the KK.
Due to this its hard to tell exactly when it stopped improving but it wasn't many months.
As a reference, the KDS took a lot longer and was a jumpy ride (up to 6months)

Get old used silver IC's if you can. These are slightly better.
They must be original (Linn soldered)!
fyi, I bought two new silvers years back and as most cables it takes time for them to mature. A have some indications it's related to soldering as I had one pair in operation 24/7, the other in the original package. Comparing after 6 months they were identical.

Fredrik may chip in here with his experience...
If I had the money it would be nice getting two brand new KDS and let one just rest for half a year then comparing them. Any takers? :lol:
It's all about musical understanding!
artikulate

Post by artikulate »

Thanks for that music lover!!1---Any thoughts on klimax 350A upgrade and breakin time??

Ron
Ron C.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

No, I can only comment on equipment I own/owned.
The only advice I can give is to first get the top source/pre/rack before addressing the speakers.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Speakers usually change rather significantly during the "burn in" period. I often find that they sound a bit stiff when new and then gradually open.

Electronics also change, but as ML wrote it differs between models how they change with time. I have found that soldered joint settle for a period of almost 4 months. During this time it can be a "bumpy ride" as the quality goes up and down.

I don't think I've noticed any changes in units that's been used for more than 4 months. Except that after many years, some components will degrade and can be successfully replaced - IF the replacement is as good or better than the degraded original! Exactly how long components live and remain within specifiaction vary with their quality and working conditions (such as heat).
artikulate

Post by artikulate »

Thanks for all your input guys---much appreciated!!!

Ron
Ron C.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I had a different experience to ML with my KK/1 upgrade. It sounded excellent straight away but musically worse, although the extent of this was initially masked by my excitement in hearing the much better sound quality.

But I soon started to become very dissatisfied with it, preferring to read a good book or watch TV. I even left it running 24x7 through a tuner for that first week, but still really not good at all.

After re-tuning my speakers, it was bearable and I could at least listen to music. In hind sight I should have done this straight away as my setup is aktiv and very sensitive to changes upstream, but I stupidly thought it would be best to leave it a while until the KK/1 settled.

During the second week, it improved in steps. I kept thinking 'that's it - brilliant' and then I'd realise it was only better, but not as good as the old KK board. Finally though it came good after about 3 weeks and the change was quite quick. It now both sounds great and is musically much better than the old one. I'd say the KK -> KK/1 upgrade was bigger than MK -> old KK so a very big step forward IMO.

Why, are you having difficulties yourself? I’ve indirectly heard of a couple more KK/1 owners struggling initially with burn in. Not heard anything subsequently so presume they also came good after a while.