Streaming service

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ChrBea

Re: Streaming service

Post by ChrBea »

Even if you have Spotify Connect set to the highest quality, I am not sure that you will get the best available quality on a Linn streamer, as the maximum audio quality in the configuration (at least in the latest version for the Klimax DS) lists as maximum: high (320 kbit/s). The display shows CD quality, but I guess that's not really true
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ChrBea wrote: 2021-07-08 15:32 Even if you have Spotify Connect set to the highest quality, I am not sure that you will get the best available quality on a Linn streamer, as the maximum audio quality in the configuration (at least in the latest version for the Klimax DS) lists as maximum: high (320 kbit/s). The display shows CD quality, but I guess that's not really true
The current best available quality from Spotify Premium is "very high", that means 320 kbit/s Ogg Vorbis.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

IMO, the latest Spotify desktop version for Mac (1.1.63.568) seems to be slightly better than the former one.

Matt
Matt

Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

I never liked the interface of Spotify or Tidal, which I tried some years ago. I like to search for albums, take away kareoke etc. Maybee they are better now. The Guardian tests a range of airbuds https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ng-earbuds
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Robert Lake wrote: 2021-07-15 13:10 I never liked the interface of Spotify or Tidal, which I tried some years ago.
Spotify changed the interface in March this year, maybe worth a try?

Matt
Matt

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

matthias wrote: 2021-07-13 08:38 IMO, the latest Spotify desktop version for Mac (1.1.63.568) seems to be slightly better than the former one.

Matt
How do you manage the comparison between versions? On Windows, the Spotify app usually tells me after it has updated rather than allowing me to choose when it updates to have a chance of comparing before/after, and I don't see a way to revert to an older version after an update...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-07-15 16:04 How do you manage the comparison between versions? On Windows, the Spotify app usually tells me after it has updated rather than allowing me to choose when it updates to have a chance of comparing before/after, and I don't see a way to revert to an older version after an update...
I am on Mac, it is just an impression, not a scientific comparison.

Matt
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Did someone compare the musicality of Spotify MacOS app vs iOS app?

Maybe @Ron The Mon?

Thanks

Matt
Matt

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

While still waiting for Spotify Hi-Fi, I wonder if anyone has recently compared Qobuz vs. Deezer.

M.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Matteo wrote: 2021-10-18 17:40 While still waiting for Spotify Hi-Fi, I wonder if anyone has recently compared Qobuz vs. Deezer.
M.
Maybe I'm wrong ... But, why to wait Spotify "hifi" when with standard is most musical service known and if you add Kalla you have the Best source combination on planet ...
OK, looking for perfection is understandable, but simply it's the best combination as is already confirmed ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-05 05:22 Did someone compare the musicality of Spotify MacOS app vs iOS app?

Maybe @Ron The Mon?

Thanks

Matt
Yes, he have big experience with Apple equipment ...
Music First ...
Vlado
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-10-18 19:12 Maybe I'm wrong ... But, why to wait Spotify "hifi" when with standard is most musical service known and if you add Kalla you have the Best source combination on planet ...
OK, looking for perfection is understandable, but simply it's the best combination as is already confirmed ...
I get your point, but it is the hope that Spotify Hifi will be even more musical and better sounding.......:-)

Matt
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-19 09:15 ...the hope that Spotify Hifi will be even more musical and better sounding.......:-)
Maybe we get it as Christmas present.......

Matt
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

matthias wrote: 2021-11-03 21:37
matthias wrote: 2021-10-19 09:15 ...the hope that Spotify Hifi will be even more musical and better sounding.......:-)
Maybe we get it as Christmas present.......
I am very disappointed that Spotify did not hold their promise to launch Spotify HiFi in 2021.
Matt

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Me too

Ridiculous
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: 2022-01-04 16:10 Me too
Ridiculous
There was not even an official announcement why they did not, embarrassing.
Matt

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

You never know, Spotify HiFi might actually sound worse on Kalla. There doesn’t seem to be a fixed relationship between quality and bit rate/depth any more.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

macrotech2 wrote: 2022-01-04 16:45 You never know, Spotify HiFi might actually sound worse on Kalla. There doesn’t seem to be a fixed relationship between quality and bit rate/depth any more.
Maybe, maybe not. At least you are a Källa owner who prefers Qobuz to Spotify.
Matt

John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

macrotech2 wrote: 2022-01-04 16:45 You never know, Spotify HiFi might actually sound worse on Kalla. There doesn’t seem to be a fixed relationship between quality and bit rate/depth any more.
Indeed, they probably figured the added cost of storing lossless files and the fact that the majority of their user base couldn’t care less about the “HiFi” tier whether or not it sounded better. That, and the unwillingness to pay more for the higher tier offering likely ended the project. Amazon and Apple lowering their prices for their streaming service didn’t help either.

I have no problem with Spotify Premium and question whether I could hear the difference if HiFi was offered.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

John wrote: 2022-01-04 18:30 Indeed, they probably figured the added cost of storing lossless files and the fact that the majority of their user base couldn’t care less about the “HiFi” tier whether or not it sounded better. That, and the unwillingness to pay more for the higher tier offering likely ended the project. Amazon and Apple lowering their prices for their streaming service didn’t help either.
If this is the case there is no reason to hoax the customers with an elaborate Spotify HiFi campaign in February.
Matt

John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

So they changed their mind.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

John wrote: 2022-01-04 19:12 So they changed their mind.
They have been investigating "HiFi" since 2017, came up with a statement in February and then changed their mind?
Maybe they wanted from the beginning to provoke the other streaming services to lower their prices.......
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I wonder if Spotify are suffering the result of being an early leader, and being held back by their legacy infrastructure. They may well have optimised it over the years to maximize scale and minimise cost. It would not be a surprise if as a result they are hitting unique unanticipated problems in adding 'hi resolution'.

I doubt that they are enjoying all the articles asking for the promised Spotify Hi Res.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-01-04 19:50 I wonder if Spotify are suffering the result of being an early leader, and being held back by their legacy infrastructure. They may well have optimised it over the years to maximize scale and minimise cost.
This might be actually the case, so the best is considering the "HiFi" campaign as hoax.
Matt

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Looks like there won’t be any hi-res Spotify in the immediate future. https://www.androidcentral.com/spotify- ... definitely
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2