Streaming service

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Streaming service

Post by beck »

On a quick listen I musically prefer Inner. City comes second and Blues comes third to me.

Great system and clips Discodave! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Through my iPad speakers, I thought City was best.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Thanks Beck, wasnt sure how they fared compared to the more technically minded on the forum.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

Thank you for the post.
I listened to the orginal post with Marvin Gale and was very disapointed by the first two. I do not like to pay for those. Tidal was good!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Thanks for the clips!

For me is Inner-City-Blues

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Robert Lake wrote: 2020-12-10 23:12 Thank you for the post.
I listened to the orginal post with Marvin Gale and was very disapointed by the first two. I do not like to pay for those. Tidal was good!
How do you know which clip is Tidal?

M.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Just deleted original links as despite renaming files I can see they still identify the streaming services I originally saved them under.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

I'll give it a day or two to give folk a chance to hear before saying which clips are which.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I thought inner sounded really, really good! It got me jigging and was disappointed when it stopped 😁

TBH, I didn’t care for either of the other two.

Thanks for sharing DD, that’s a great system you’ve got there!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I didn't feel there was a lot between them, musically. Quite a difference in sound between them tho'.
Are they volume matched because Inner feels a little quieter, which puts it at a slight disadvantage...
If I had to choose, on the basis of this one song snippet/these clips*, my best to worst would be Blues, Inner, City.
Blues & Inner were musically close, but Blues just had a bit more drive (or volume) that helped the music along... City sounded good, but seemed a bit off in the timing and musically behind the other 2.

* that's the thing with subscription: unless it's yearly, you can change your service provider more simply and much more cheaply than changing DS or turntable, or amps / speakers. And streaming is probably going to be passive listening, and secondary or tertiary source for most.

Interesting comparison and curious to find out which is which. Thanks for posting
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

For me:

1) Inner
2)Blues
3)City

Regarding volume control I will discuss after the reveal so as not to bias the test.
Cheers
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

I will reveal by tomorrow night
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

OK folks the reveal:

Inner = Qobuz
City = Spotify
Blues = Tidal
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Discodave wrote: 2020-12-12 18:33 OK folks the reveal:

Inner = Qobuz
City = Spotify
Blues = Tidal
:-)
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Interesting, thanks for doing this. I thought City sounded most tuneful. Feeling good because Spotify is what I use and I have no complaints about how it sounds. Maybe Ron The Mon is right!
John
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Qobuz vs. Spotify

Post by John »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2020-11-19 01:37
papillon wrote: 2020-11-18 16:42 I see many posts indicating that Qobuz is great.
papillon,
Maybe I can help.

Qobuz is not as good sounding as Spotify.

Spotify is the best sounding streaming service out there; I have been saying this for at least seven years. I have not once ever compared it against Tidal, Google Play, Qobuz, etc. and thought otherwise. I have compared over computers with various players, in addition to iPod, iPhone, iPad, and several Android phones. I have played back through attached speakers, bluetooth speakers, headphones, and hi-fis.

Spotify always sounds best.

Occasionally, on first listen, a competing streaming service sounds *impressive* or more "hi-fi" or seems to have more bass.

The absolute best I've heard Spotify is over a Windows XP computer on a player called Fidelify, which sounded great. That player alerted me to the importance of removing digital volume controls and features from a player which greatly improved Spotify's musicality. The search and recommendation features are nice on a player, but if you want to just listen with the absolute best quality, there should be a selector to turn off all features and enjoy a playlist in the purest, best quality possible.

I am a firm source-firster and find ethernet cables, switch, and wi-fi makes a larger contribution to sound quality than some streaming service differences. This also includes the combinational order in which items are connected.

Ron The Mon
Ron,
Do you have any public Spotify playlists? Alway enjoyed your music recommendations.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Good Sound Quality

Post by Ron The Mon »

John wrote: 2021-01-16 04:06 Ron,
Do you have any public Spotify playlists? Alway enjoyed your music recommendations.
John,
I do now, as of five minutes ago.

Search "Ron The Mon" on Spotify with capital R, T, & M; there is a photo of my LP12. If I did everything right, you should see a playlist called "Good Sound Quality". It's a playlist I've been adding to and subtracting from for about nine years. It's pretty random and eclectic because the theme isn't related to any music style. These are songs I've come across that sound really good.

Be forewarned, some of the songs have lyrical content which may be inappropriate in a public setting or around children.

I have about two dozen other playlists, but this is all you get today.

Ron The Mon
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Thanks so much Ron. Unfortunately, I’m not seeing it. Did you make the playlist public?
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Good Sound Quality Link

Post by Ron The Mon »

John wrote: 2021-01-19 16:58 Thanks so much Ron. Unfortunately, I’m not seeing it. Did you make the playlist public?
John,
This is my first time doing this; here’s a link:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/51Ihg ... 5nCO6Cp5CA

Right now searching "Ron The Mon" on Spotify shows nothing. Searching "Good Sound Quality" shows playlist by Ron The Mon. Back door entry.

Something worked for someone as I now have a "like"; YIPPEE!!

Ron The Mon
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Got it working, Thanks!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Good Sound Quality

Post by V.A.MKD »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-01-19 06:01
John wrote: 2021-01-16 04:06 Ron,
John,
I do now, as of five minutes ago.

Search "Ron The Mon" on Spotify with capital R, T, & M; there is a photo of my LP12. If I did everything right, you should see a playlist called "Good Sound Quality". It's a playlist I've been adding to and subtracting from for about nine years. It's pretty random and eclectic because the theme isn't related to any music style. These are songs I've come across that sound really good.

Be forewarned, some of the songs have lyrical content which may be inappropriate in a public setting or around children.

I have about two dozen other playlists, but this is all you get today.

Ron The Mon
Great music Ron The Mon, Thank you for sharing ...
Music First ...
Vlado
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Thanks again Ron for sharing. Great playlist, added quite a few to my own!
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Dziękuję

Post by Ron The Mon »

John wrote: 2021-01-21 01:28 Thanks again Ron for sharing. Great playlist, added quite a few to my own!
John,
The reason I did it was because of the music you've turned me on to. You don't know this but over the years I've been spying on the records you have out and displayed in your basement. Thank you.

I also admire the caliber of your stunning photographs.

My "Good Sound Quality" Playlist wasn't designed to be public. It never occurred to me others would be interested. If you follow it, you'll be alerted to songs I add.

You may have noticed an artist on the list named Caballero Reynaldo. He is a multi-instrumentalist Spaniard who plays all the music and voices (except female vocals). I like most everything he's put out.

One of my all-time favorite records is his 2004 record called La Vuelta Al Mundo En 80 Kms. When you have a spare 40 minutes and can give the volume some juice, listen to it in its' entirety. Pour a tall glass of beer, turn off the lights, then hit play. The music will take you places and the recording quality is fantastic. Don't cheat and preview any songs; listen to it in one session.

Ron The Mon
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Dziękuję

Post by V.A.MKD »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-01-21 05:43
John wrote: 2021-01-21 01:28 Thanks again Ron for sharing. Great playlist, added quite a few to my own!
You may have noticed an artist on the list named Caballero Reynaldo. He is a multi-instrumentalist Spaniard who plays all the music and voices (except female vocals). I like most everything he's put out.

One of my all-time favorite records is his 2004 record called La Vuelta Al Mundo En 80 Kms. When you have a spare 40 minutes and can give the volume some juice, listen to it in its' entirety. Pour a tall glass of beer, turn off the lights, then hit play. The music will take you places and the recording quality is fantastic. Don't cheat and preview any songs; listen to it in one session.

Ron The Mon
Hi All,

Very good artist & music Ron The Mon, thank you.

On Spotify try Tchaikovsky 6th Sym. from A. Toscanini, it's paradise ... This version is very hard to find on CD or LP ... I have try several other very very good versions, but Toscanini is ... one.

Enjoy ...
Music First ...
Vlado
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Lyle Lovett - “Joshua Judges Ruth” sounds unbelievably good on Spotify.

Listen to North Dakota or Baltimore late at night with the lights off. Lyle’s right there in the room.