Streaming service

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Peter Lanky

Streaming service

Post by Peter Lanky »

I am coming to the end of the free 12 month Tidal subscription that came courtesy of my car. I am now being repeatedly invited to try Deezer for 3 months. Deezer is not in the list of services of Konfig, so can I stream Deezer to my Linn renderer as I did with Tidal? I could try and find this out from general forums, but there are too many guesses and not enough facts.
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Streaming service

Post by Tendaberry »

I can think of no reason at all to choose Deezer over Qobuz (or Tidal), except maybe that it's a free trial. But since it's not integrated into the Linn apps, you would have to send it to the DS/DSM through Airplay or Songcast (or some Android variant).
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Not much point in me getting it then. I was only tempted because it was free. I've no intention of paying for any streaming service as what I like seems to be such a minority part of the service (with Tidal at least).
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'd check with your local dealer. Most of them, at least in the US, have free trial cards for Qobuz for a month. If they don't have them let me know and I think I can get you setup (although I don't know if ours work outside the US). You might even be able to get it just by going to the qobuz website.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-11-14 20:14 I'd check with your local dealer. Most of them, at least in the US, have free trial cards for Qobuz for a month. If they don't have them let me know and I think I can get you setup (although I don't know if ours work outside the US). You might even be able to get it just by going to the qobuz website.
It does appear that I can get a month's trial straight from the qobuz website, though I do have one from my dealer that I'd been hanging on to until I exhausted all the others.

I think the Qobuz service would be a good bet for somebody starting off their HiFi life, but with 800 CDs already in my collection, I can't see that I can get much out of it seeing as so much modern music doesn't appeal to me.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Peter Lanky wrote: 2020-11-15 14:36
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-11-14 20:14 I'd check with your local dealer. Most of them, at least in the US, have free trial cards for Qobuz for a month. If they don't have them let me know and I think I can get you setup (although I don't know if ours work outside the US). You might even be able to get it just by going to the qobuz website.
It does appear that I can get a month's trial straight from the qobuz website, though I do have one from my dealer that I'd been hanging on to until I exhausted all the others.

I think the Qobuz service would be a good bet for somebody starting off their HiFi life, but with 800 CDs already in my collection, I can't see that I can get much out of it seeing as so much modern music doesn't appeal to me.
Hi Peter I need a couple of clarifications.
What do you mean by modern music.Do you mean music written in modern times or music written by modern composers,or both ?
And lastly what timespan are we talking about?
I know that tune
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Lego wrote: 2020-11-16 07:27
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-11-14 20:14 Hi Peter I need a couple of clarifications.
What do you mean by modern music.Do you mean music written in modern times or music written by modern composers,or both ?
And lastly what timespan are we talking about?
I'm talking non classical here. I have two interests at the moment which are traditional Scottish Folk (as opposed to Scottish people singing popular songs) and progressive rock. Though I can find a reasonable amount of this on Tidal, I have to search through vast amounts of what seems to be referred to as R&B (again, a different definition to what I consider to be R&B), which is what is 'pushed' by the platform. Quite often though when I'm made aware of music in these genres, it is simply not there.

For more mainstream music, I can think of very little in the last 30 years that grabs my attention.

For classical music I try to find composers that are not the usual suspects, but probably pre 1920s as a lot stuff after this is not to my taste.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I'm talking non classical here. I have two interests at the moment which are traditional Scottish Folk ...
Have you looked at Spotify? Hopefully you can get an initial idea, at least, from this link. I don't know how it compares with Deezer or Qobuz or Tidal, but it should be supported on your Linn streamer...
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

IME, Spotify is quite decent on the desktop app and awful on the other devices (including Linn streamers)

M
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-11-16 18:39
I'm talking non classical here. I have two interests at the moment which are traditional Scottish Folk ...
Have you looked at Spotify? Hopefully you can get an initial idea, at least, from this link. I don't know how it compares with Deezer or Qobuz or Tidal, but it should be supported on your Linn streamer...
I found Spotify quite musical in my system ( more so than Tidal, which had better Hi Fi) but Qobuz was better, both musically and soundwise.

The main problem I found with spotify is that the app only seemed to find one or two of my four Linn streamers.

I think worth trying them all on free trials.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

We like Spotify too (also preferred it to Tidal). It always works well and has a great selection. Used to get a lot of dropouts with Google Play. Plus the kids have their playlists all setup now and I'd get a right ear ache if I suggested changing it again.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-11-17 11:37 We like Spotify too (also preferred it to Tidal). It always works well and has a great selection. Used to get a lot of dropouts with Google Play. Plus the kids have their playlists all setup now and I'd get a right ear ache if I suggested changing it again.
We’ve had the Spotify Premium Family plan for quite some time. I never used it much until I replaced a couple of my legacy amps with Sonos Amps. This move made streaming much easier and allowed me to group my Living Room speakers with my Play 3 in my kitchen. We listen to music in the kitchen quite a lot and that Play 3 adds details to the music that were lost when only the LR speakers were playing.

This grouping also works when playing vinyl as well as I have a line output from my main system’s preamp going to the Sonos Amp.

The convenience of controlling the music and balancing the volume from an iPhone or iPad and the very acceptable sound quality has me pretty much sold on streaming and has made it an option that was seldom used when it’s convenience more closely matched vinyl replay.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Qobuz is generally considered to be the best for sound quality through DS’s. The difference between Qobuz and Spotify through a DS is very noticeable. Qobuz is £15/month and sounds better than most (all?) NAS’s, which makes it good value for money.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Looks like Qobuz is the next trial then.
Starman

Post by Starman »

Second the choice for Quboz, I tried Tidal but decided upon Quboz
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Spannko wrote: 2020-11-17 18:07 Qobuz is generally considered to be the best for sound quality through DS’s. The difference between Qobuz and Spotify through a DS is very noticeable. Qobuz is £15/month and sounds better than most (all?) NAS’s, which makes it good value for money.
+ 1
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

John wrote: 2020-11-17 15:21We’ve had the Spotify Premium Family plan for quite some time. I never used it much until I replaced a couple of my legacy amps with Sonos Amps. This move made streaming much easier and allowed me to group my Living Room speakers with my Play 3 in my kitchen. We listen to music in the kitchen quite a lot and that Play 3 adds details to the music that were lost when only the LR speakers were playing.

This grouping also works when playing vinyl as well as I have a line output from my main system’s preamp going to the Sonos Amp.

The convenience of controlling the music and balancing the volume from an iPhone or iPad and the very acceptable sound quality has me pretty much sold on streaming and has made it an option that was seldom used when it’s convenience more closely matched vinyl replay.
Glad you're enjoying your system so much. We've just got a standalone Sneaky in the kitchen / lounge so pretty basic.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Adding an integrated amp is a great way to upgrade a sneaky.

I have just added a Rega Brio to my kitchen sneaky ( not enough space for a Boazu) and it really improves the musicality and sound - so much more enjoyable.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Another vote for Qobuz from me. I haven’t compared other suppliers but the sound quality is excellent.

The Studio option with hi-res streaming is only £12.50/month if you pay for a year upfront.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

u252agz wrote: 2020-11-18 09:53 Adding an integrated amp is a great way to upgrade a sneaky.

I have just added a Rega Brio to my kitchen sneaky ( not enough space for a Boazu) and it really improves the musicality and sound - so much more enjoyable.
Thanks! I've always thought it sounds 'just right' with Katans but will have to try it. The Nait and 42.5/110 are spare so will give them a go.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-11-18 10:04
u252agz wrote: 2020-11-18 09:53 Adding an integrated amp is a great way to upgrade a sneaky.

Thanks! I've always thought it sounds 'just right' with Katans but will have to try it. The Nait and 42.5/110 are spare so will give them a go.
Just make sure you disable the volume control for the sneaky on Konfig (and reboot) when you try this.

I will eat my hat if you think that it sounds worse.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
papillon

Post by papillon »

Hello,
I see many posts indicating that Qobuz is great.

Would you mind explaining me which is the most convenient way you have found to stream through the DS with Qobuz? install the Qobuz app on your smartphone? or the Qobuz in the Linn app on smartphone? other way?

With Spotify for example their app is very good. you just have to select your music and send it to the DS via the "connect" option.

Thanks!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

u252agz wrote: 2020-11-18 15:02 Just make sure you disable the volume control for the sneaky on Konfig (and reboot) when you try this.

I will eat my hat if you think that it sounds worse.
Tx!

Will I still be able to adjust volume via the Spotify app?
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

papillon wrote: 2020-11-18 16:42 Hello,
I see many posts indicating that Qobuz is great.

Would you mind explaining me which is the most convenient way you have found to stream through the DS with Qobuz? install the Qobuz app on your smartphone? or the Qobuz in the Linn app on smartphone? other way?

With Spotify for example their app is very good. you just have to select your music and send it to the DS via the "connect" option.

Thanks!
Qobuz is built into the Linn apps so use it directly from within the Linn app. Personally I use the Lumin App which I much prefer. This also has a Qobuz tab built in.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Spotify ported doesn’t sound as good as qobuz through the Linn app.