Streaming service

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Streaming service

Post by matthias »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-12-20 13:28 ...but almost every other song on Qobuz sounds more solid and are musically easier to follow.
You mean.......in comparison to Spotify?
Thx
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Hi Matthias, yes, in comparison to Spotify👍
F
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Or is it still just more hifi???
Would be interesting to hear others impressions: )
F
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Three more tune dem tests today:
The Doors - Riders on the storm - Spotify the most lively and musical
Bob Marley- Lively up your self - Qobuz far more insight and music
M. Davis - So what - Qobuz a bit more easy to follow the music. Interplay between piano and trumpet first two minutes is nicer for me.
F
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

I can confirm that in the last months Qobuz seems more musical.

It has always been better than Spotify on my DS though.

Yesterday I did some comparisons between Qobuz and the same track on my SSD/Kazoo server (ripped CDs) and the streaming platform was way more musical …

The LP12 is still in another league FWIW
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

It is interesting that you say that, M.
My experience has been in favour of Spotify until now, and like I wrote there is still some records that is better on Spotify in my setup. But to me now it seems qobuz is the most musical on the majority of records. I will keep both services, though.
F
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Very nice album to compare:

"You Must Believe In Spring" by Bill Evans

What do you think?
Matt

Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Thats interesting. I did not find the 2022 remastret as clear cut as others but for example from 3.30 I think it is easier to follow the drums together with the whole, so qobuz for me. And you?
F
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-12-22 18:17 And you?
Will do some comparisons during the holidays. My set-up is a little bit different as I am running Qobuz via Audirvana for Mac and not via the Qobuz desktop app.
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-12-22 18:17 I did not find the 2022 remastret as clear cut as others...
Agree, I don't like the 2022 remastered, I mean the older one ;-)
The 2022 is mastered with much lower volume...
AFAIK, Qobuz offers both, Spotify the older one.
Matt

Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

I have tested some more tracks:
Kind of blue - MD - Spotify best
Rickie Lee Jones - Night train - Qobuz best
Rene Jacobs- Christmas Oratorium - First song - Spotify best
Jan Johanson - Visa från utmyra - A bit different, bass i a little fuller on Qobuz, and the piano notes a little more defined, but Spotify is also nice little more smeared, perhaps.
Jan Johanson . Stepp min stepp . Qobuz, Spotify is more smeared, for example the hi hat is so much easier to follow, rythm-vise.
Little response on this thread, but for me an interesting experience, and like vinyl, there are better versions and recordings on either platform. A pattern might be that bass-strong music is better on Qobuz, but with some exceptions.
F
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Hi Fred. Interesting reading, thanks for the input. As you may already have read, I’ve been using Qobuz for years. I’ve done two or three comparison sessions and have generally preferred it to Spotify with the odd exception. When it comes down to it though, the sound from Kalla is so exceptional that no one would be disappointed with either.

Happy Christmas everyone. I can’t wait for next year’s new products.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Very interesting, M
I agree that it is exceptional anyway with Källa. Generally the feel of the songs alter a little, Spotify is lighter and qobuz feels more solid and tighter in a way.
Merry Christmas to everyone and especially to Fredrik. Thank you very much for bringing music to our homes❄️🎄
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

…perhaps most important, Last Christmas -Wham - Spotify most musical for me😊
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

macrotech2 wrote: 2022-12-24 13:33 As you may already have read, I’ve been using Qobuz for years. I’ve done two or three comparison sessions and have generally preferred it to Spotify...
I agree with your assessment after a comparison session with my son. Generally speaking Qobuz seems to be a little bit more lifelike, while Spotify appears to be more rounded. But it is surely not a night and day difference.
Matt

Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Four ears more to assess the difference sounds promising.
F
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-12-29 11:22 Four ears more to assess the difference sounds promising.
Today my wife mostly preferred Spotify to Qobuz.......
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Spotify

Post by Hermann »

Some recommendations keep appearing in Spotify in my own playlists. They are marked, but I can't find a way to stop this behaviour. Maybe someone has an idea.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Spotify

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2023-01-08 11:06 Some recommendations keep appearing in Spotify in my own playlists. They are marked, but I can't find a way to stop this behaviour. Maybe someone has an idea.
Just for clarification:
You have Spotify Premium?
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Yes Premium Individual. I only noticed this a while ago, it must not have been there at the beginning or I didn't realise it. Apart from that, they still put advertising underneath now and then. Not often, but advertising.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

This is strange. Please go to your Spotify account (on the desktop version on the upper right corner) and here to "Benachrichtigungseinstellungen" and "Datenschutz-Einstellungen" and disable all settings. Then quit Spotify and restart it and report back whether the adverts disappeared.
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you, matthias. Unfortunately, the Windows app does not show any notification settings. "Datenschutz" only allows cookies to be turned on or off. The setting is now turned off.

I have noticed significant differences in the Win app and Android app. Under Android, there is virtually nothing adjustable as far as audio quality is concerned, but that's another topic.

Will now observe this for a while

Edit
Ah, sorry, I wasn't in the profile, more extensive settings are possible there. In fact, everything is switched off there, so no change was necessary.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann,
if this doesn't help, then open "Spotify > Preferences" then scroll to the bottom and enable "Privacy", then quit and restart.
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you very much matthias. The settings are made, as far as necessary. I will report later to what extent they are effective.
Trust your ears
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

I see, Matthias. It is interesting.
I see can see that I have been sharing different experiences in this thread earlier and that the question Qobuz vs Spotify divides opinions, even though most seems to prefer Spotify, here. Just out of interest I have continued to compare the two and I still stand by my finding that qobuz on some songs are surprisingly good, and that Spotify is better on others. I try and find a pattern but my lesson for now is that I do not really know before I have compared.
Some general findings persist for me. On newer recordings on for example Indie-rock, like Wilco, The National or Fleet Foxes and on some rnb, neo-soul records, like SZA, Frank Ocean and D´angelo, Qobuz can be surprisingly good, often representing a more solid, fuller and dynamic presentation were the musicians stand more out and the interplay is easier to follow in a musical matter. Since streaming can have a little lighter feel than vinyl, and I think it is the only comment about the Källa that some has described as sometimes missing from the Sondek, I find the sometimes more physical presentation of Qobuz (on some recordings) an incentive to subscribe.
On many older records which for me is often jazz-recordings Spotify is better, like Kind of Blue. I think what Fredrik wrote somewhere here that Qobuz in general can sound a little more "together" and Spotify somewhat more separated or kept apart, holds true for me also. But my learning from this is that I do not know beforehand which is best and I have to test it on both plattforms. For me it is fun and nice to have both streaming services because of the catalogue and nice to find especially nice ones, and some bad ones, like the strikingly bad Talk, talk, happiness is easy on Qobuz, yet excellent on Spotify, or better and more physical D`angelo Spanish Joint on Qobuz.
Fred