I need guidance from all you good people, please?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

LinnLizzy

I need guidance from all you good people, please?

Post by LinnLizzy »

Damn, that's the trouble with the WWW, a bewildering array of choice, opinion and circumspect.
Anyway, after spending all day looking around about how to improve my un-holy din, I've ended up here...

My current set-up is extremely modest. A 2000 Linn Classik model and a pair of Monitor Sound GS-10's, and a Macbook Pro.

I want to upgrade severely into DS, more specifically a Majic or a Akurate DS, VERY interested in the KIKKIN Pre-Amp.

Been trawling through the reviews of this little box and they are favourable indeed.

Now, here's the issue, most of my hard earned cash will go on the source, so will my old Classik cut it with a set-up like Majic/Akurtate DS with Kikkin pre-amp, or is there no point whatsoever, and I'll have to buy a suitable Amp?

Also, I plan to use my Laptop as the Library, is this a good idea?
If not, the simplest, and hopefully cheap option would be appreciated.

A few questions there, and can I say that it's superb that I've stumbled on a piece of kit that is not rammed down your throat, but rated through word-of-mouth, which of course is the most honest and sincere advert you could hear!

Keep it up!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Re: I need guidance from all you good people, please?

Post by Azazello »

Hi Lizzy, and Welcome to the forum! :)
LinnLizzy wrote:Now, here's the issue, most of my hard earned cash will go on the source, so will my old Classik cut it with a set-up like Majic/Akurtate DS with Kikkin pre-amp, or is there no point whatsoever, and I'll have to buy a suitable Amp?
I don't see any point in keeping the Classik since you only need the power amp portion of it? Sell it and buy any amp that suits your budget. If you settle for LK100 (still a bit better than the amp in Clasik I believe) you will get some extra money for gadgets needed for your DS.

I'm sure you will get answers to your DS-related questions as well, I will read them with interest since I'm struggling to integrate a Sneaky DS in my network.

/Az
Last edited by Azazello on 2009-06-13 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I would agree with Az that you would get better musical quality by selling your Classik and getting a better power amp. You can pick an LK85 or LK140 at a pretty reasonable price and have a definite improvement over the amp in the Classik.

On the other hand, if you still want to use the tuner and be able to play CDs directly the Classik will certainly allow you to hear the musical improvements from going to the DS and Kikkin. If you wanted to use the system this way you would need to plug the Kikkin to the AUX input and set it to Unity Gain through the User Settings. This would keep the Kikkin and Classik volume controls from both operating at the same time and give you the cleanest sound on the DS.

There is no reason you can't use your laptop as the music server with good results. I can't comment on whether you would get significantly better performance from a separate NAS, hopefully others will relate their experiences on this.
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

Thanks very much for your advice.
I'm going to go for a Majic, save and build from there.
I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Thanks again!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

LinnLizzy wrote:I'll let you know how it goes :-)
Please do! You are very welcome to start a thread in the "Me and my system" section.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

ThomasOK wrote:I would agree with Az that you would get better musical quality by selling your Classik and getting a better power amp. You can pick an LK85 or LK140 at a pretty reasonable price and have a definite improvement over the amp in the Classik.

On the other hand, if you still want to use the tuner and be able to play CDs directly the Classik will certainly allow you to hear the musical improvements from going to the DS and Kikkin. If you wanted to use the system this way you would need to plug the Kikkin to the AUX input and set it to Unity Gain through the User Settings. This would keep the Kikkin and Classik volume controls from both operating at the same time and give you the cleanest sound on the DS.

There is no reason you can't use your laptop as the music server with good results. I can't comment on whether you would get significantly better performance from a separate NAS, hopefully others will relate their experiences on this.
How do you set it to U.Gain thru the settings Thomas
I know that tune
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

Ok,

I've been busy today.

I have picked up a Majik DS, a 2nd hand LK140, a RIPNAS and finally for the Volume Control a Kikkin!

I'm off on Monday and the Majik, the LK140 and the RIPNAS are being delivered on that day.
I've emailed Fredrik asking him if it would be at all possible for the same to happen.
Anyway, we'll see about that.
Thanks for your help.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Fredrik builds to order, I think, so you may not be able to get the Kikkin so quickly.

However, that won't stop you from enjoying the music, you just need to make sure that you enable the internal volume control in the Majik DS and connect it direct to the LK140 and enjoy!
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi LinnLizzy and welcome here!

It seems you followed the advice here and I think it's going to be a great upgrade. As I've already notified you by email, the Kikkin will ship on Wednesday and should arrive early next week. Please keep us posted on the progress, or if you need assistance with the setup.

Regarding delivery times, Kikkin and Kinki 2 are currently in stock and will normally ship within a week. Slipsik is built to order, which means it takes up to two weeks before being shipped.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Lego wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:I would agree with Az that you would get better musical quality by selling your Classik and getting a better power amp. You can pick an LK85 or LK140 at a pretty reasonable price and have a definite improvement over the amp in the Classik.

How do you set it to U.Gain thru the settings Thomas
You get into the settings by turning the Classik off then hold down the Vol- button while turning the Classik on and continue to hold the Vol- button for about 12 seconds until the display shows 1-1. Now use the Vol- button to change the first number until you get to 10-1 or 10-0, this is the setting number for Unity gain on the Aux input. Using the Vol+ button you can change the second number which you want to be -1. So the display should read 10-1 which means Unity gain is on. Press and hold the Vol- button again for about 5 seconds until a series of bars goes across the display and you will be back to normal operating mode.

This only works for the Classik K and Classik T models, the original Classik (without tuner) does not support the Unity gain mode.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Thanks Thomas
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

LinnLizzy, another part of a DS system that is worthwhile optimising is the digital connections. There's been several such discussions in here.

I know that Music Lover (others too! but ML is probably the most persistent) have tried a lot of different switches, cables, where to connect what etc. All parts that don't cost a lot and don't make any night-and-day difference to the sound - but put together they do make some worthwhile improvements. I'm not very initiated in this field and therefore don't have any specific recommendations to share. But I've done enough experiments to conclude that these parts should not be neglected.

I really would like to make a sticky with DS recommended parts, but the problem is that at the moment, things change fast. And how do we keep that list updated? What if we get several competing lists - both of which may be the best solution in their own particular environment? Difficult...
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

Ok,

What's a good, inexpensive cable/s to hook the DS-Likkin-LK140 please?

There are black interconnects supplied with the Majik!

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The Linn Black interconnects are very good and certainly the best at or around the price ($180US a pair). The Linn Silver interconnects are quite a bit better but are also significantly more expensive at $480US a pair.

I should point out though that Fredrik was specifically talking about the connections on the digital side of things: items like the RJ45 cables, switches, NAS units and hard drives as well as the placement of them have been found by several members of the forum to have effects on the musical performance of the system. Even though some people automatically discount the idea these parts of the system could have any sonic impact, the evidence of a number or our ears is that it does and is worth optimizing.
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

Kikkin recieved!

Thanks!

But there has been a slight disaster...

No LK140 delivered yet, so I tried connecting the Majik DS with the Kikkin, no probs, then I set the Unity Gain on my Classik and connected it with the Kikkin, my Classik then smoked and my speakers buzzed LOUDLY with no music.

So not a very good start :-(
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sounds like a terrible start, sad to hear that! :cry:

I wonder what you might have done to achieve this? Linn poweramps are quite well protected against overload, short circuit etc, but if you do something like shorting the positive outputs, it could result in smoke. Have you checked your speaker wires for shorts or similar?

Regardless of what happened, you need to check what parts are broken and what's still alive. The Classik will certainly need a repair, but I find it unlikely that your DS or Kikkin have taken damage. The easiest way is probably to check them together with the LK140 that you're receiving. To be really careful, I'd make sure I had a multimeter at hand and then connect and switch on all units EXCEPT the speaker wires+speakers. Then measure the speaker outputs of the LK140 for no DC voltage or strong AC voltage. If that's ok, switch LK140 off, connect speakers and switch LK140 back on.

Then the speakers need to be checked. All drive units alive? I sincerely hope your Classik hasn't caused further damage when it blew up!

Remember to always connect the Kikkin to the mains before you turn your poweramp on. This is written in the manual as well (which I recommend you read unless you haven't already) and the reason is that the moment the Kikkin is connected to the mains, it sends a "thump" on the outputs. I don't think this thump could cause a Classik (or any amplifier) to blow up, but it makes your bass units move around in a way that could potentially harm them.

My advice is to leave the Kikkin switched on at all times - except when going away for a long time or when there's a thunderstorm. It draws only a few watts of power.

Keep us posted on what's happening!
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

Now the LK140 that I ordered has now been 'lost' by the couriers.
I am now frustrated.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Can imagine that! :evil:
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

Ok LK140 has arrived at work, but I'm out tonight, but I'll try it tomorrow evening.

Looking at the back of the LK140, The setting is 230, therefore the Voltage range is 207-253V.

Ill do what you suggest, I only hope my speakers aren't blown :-(

Thanks!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

What's happening, LinnLizzy?

I hope your silence is due to being completely lost in the music! :D
LinnLizzy

Post by LinnLizzy »

Ok, been away.

UPDATE:

Speakers were not damaged, Classik frazzled!
Off to Linn for a repair.

Anyway, hooked everything up and it's an extremely good sound.
I love it!

My set up ended up....

RipNAS - Linn Majik DS - Kikkin - Linn LK140 - Monitor Audio GS10.

Really nice, really good and can I thank everyone who helped me out.
I only wish I could place the songs I bought on the itunes music store onto the DS.
Shame really!